This trip was excellent, and the Royal Sands was a great place to stay. We lucked out and stayed in a friend's time share at a great price, but even at full price it would have been well worth it. The hotel and grounds were extremely clean and well cared for - I even saw a team of people bagging up stray seaweed along shore, and the staff was very friendly and attentive. All of the units are the same - time shares - 2 bedrooms, 2 bathrooms, kitchen, living area, large and small balconies, and ALL of them have beautiful ocean views! We spent most of our room time out on the balcony. I'm assuming that if you're a couple, you could just rent out one section of the condo -- the bedroom/bathroom/kitchenette away from the main area which would still be great. The combined room was more than enough room for the four of us.
The pool is huge and crystal clear with swim up bars on each side and plenty of lounge chairs in and out of the shade of the palm trees. There are also a lot of little palapas along the shore with lounge chairs. The service is great, and happy hour is every day from 3-6 with good drink prices. There's also a hut by the pool where you can paint pottery - makes a good gift or souvenir. It's a relaxing way to spend an hour in the shade.
Food: There's a sports bar, a restaurant, and a market all in the hotel. There's also the Char Hut at the neighboring Sands hotel. You're not going to find really authentic food -- think more nachos, sandwiches, salads -- but it was all pretty good and not outrageously expensive. The fish tacos at the Char Hut were really tasty and so were the tuna salad and the chicken lime soup at the restaurant. We also did the breakfast buffet one morning at the restaurant. It has a ton of choices and would be great if you wake up really hungry. The market is super convenient too. That's where we got our water, coffee grounds, drinks and snacks for the room. And, they have these little granola cookies - those with some yogurt was a perfect breakfast. It's also a great place to find pastries or fresh bread.
The Spa: Totally worth it! It's next door and so nice. I'd never gotten a massage before, but it was vacation. Three of us booked an hour massage and that may have been the best decision I've made in a long time. We also tried out the steam room and sauna. Lovely.
Things to do: Thomas Moore is on the main floor and has tons of trips to choose from. We did the Garrafon tour to Isla Mujeres. Very fun and you should rent a golf cart in the downtown area to cruise around the island. It was $15 for an hour in the cart. I should have brought more spending money - there's lots of shopping. I also went snorkeling at Puerto Morelos - AMAZING! The guide was great, the groups were small, and the fish were everywhere. Plus, it's a half day trip, so I was back by 2:30 and had the rest of the day to relax.
Overall, the location was very accessible. There's a bus stop close by to the entrance and we used the buses a few times to get into the main shopping area and to the ferry to the Isla. Very easy. There's also a shopping mall next door, good for finding little silver charms and cheesy gifts -- much less expensive than the flea market up the strip.
I hope if and when I go back, I'll be staying at this resort... Have fun!
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- The Royal Sands Resort & Spa All Inclusive, one of the best All-Inclusive resorts in the area, sits at the center of Cancun's spectacular Caribbean shoreline with breathtaking views of white sand and turquoise waters. With a privileged location, five-star luxury, a world-class Spa, tempting dining choices and activities for all ages, The Royal Sands has everything you need for your next Caribbean vacation. Enjoy fine dining, activities and amenities offered by the REFINE All-Inclusive package. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Hotels.com, Booking.com, Expedia and HotelQuickly so you can book your The Royal Sands Resort & Spa All Inclusive reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- The Royal Sands Hotel Cancun
- Royal Sands Cancun
- Cancun Royal Sands Resort
- Royal Sands Resort Cancun