“Almost Excellent” 4 of 5 bubbles

GreenLeadersGold level
New York
“Almost Excellent”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 March 2012

We stayed at the Sun Palace in 2008 and are using this as a comparison.

Check-in: quick and painless, unable to upgrade to oceanfront, so if you want it guaranteed, you may want to pay for the room ahead of time

Credits: $1500 in credits, the best way to use the credits (besides room upgrades and spa) is golf for those of you interested. There is no limit on the amount you can put toward golf, and if you book at least one day in advance, they will give you a direct shuttle to the golf center (not that the regularly scheduled bus is horribly inconvenient, but the personal shuttle drops you AT the golf center at Moon Palace). If you bring your own clubs and balls, you will not spend a penny golfing outside any gratuities. The clubs are $50 to rent and are a nice set, calloway diablos.

$300 toward the spa, $300 toward a Natura Bisse "the cure" cosmetics gift set, and $100 toward the Tequila. The Natura Bisse stuff is actually pretty expensive, so it seems like worthwhile use of the credits.

Room: We upgraded to a Lagoon View room. Don't be mistaken into thinking it's ocean view or nothing. The Lagoon view rooms actually provide a beautiful panoramic backdrop, trees, buildings, water, and even the Caribbean off to the right, as far as your eyes can see, and the sunset is beautiful. The caveat is that there is little breeze, and the sound of the busy street replaces the crashing waves. The rooms themselves however did seem a little bit aged compared to the sun palace in 2008. Scuffing and chipping on the floors, some of the paint peeling off, funny smell in the bathroom, chips in the jacuzzi tub. The refrigerator was not restocked on some days, and we had to request it.

Food: The food in the restaurants was as expected across the board. We found the Asian restaurant to be our favorite, with the welcome drinks and rolls. I'm not a sushi guy, so I can't comment on it, but the hot food, while not the most authentic was still very good in my opinion. The Mexican buffet I thought was great, lots of choices in the morning, variety everyday for lunch, and a good option for dinner if you don't want to spend an hour and a half with dinner. The Italian restaurant was exactly what I expected as an Italian guy from NY.

Public spaces: there seemed to be a huge variation in occupancy throughout the week, there were 2 or 3 days where if you didn't have a chair by the pool by 10am you wouldn't get one, then the other 4 days, you can use 2 or 3 chairs if you wanted. The recreation guys and gals really are great. The pools were always perfect, never crowded, nice temperature. By the end of the day, youd see some garbage in the pool here and there. The sky pool seemed to always be less crowded, and the view from up there is amazing.

The beach was kind of the same way, some days you could sit in multiple chairs, some days there were not enough. The water can be rough if you've never swam in Cancun before.

Service: I think the service was below my expectations from sun palace. The employees are all of course fantastic, every single one of them. But I do think the servers are stretched beyond their limits when occupancy is up. Some morning at breakfast, it would take quite a while to get juice or tea. They don't automatically give you water. Drinks at the beach could take 10-20 minutes. Not to say they were not working hard, quite the contrary, but at times I felt there were just not enough of them.

Overall, I'm a big fan of the place, and a big fan of palace overall. Being able to go between the resorts is something to take advantage of. The golf course is great, and the family spending a day at the moon palace while you golf can be a great idea, with lots of huge pools, bike riding, different restaurants, and the spa. But I feel like the Beach Palace is just a notch below excellent.

7 Thank BrianB4837
Turn Your Opinions into Points!
Turn your opinions into JPMiles
Turn your opinions into PAYBACK Points
*You can enroll in only one programme at a time to earn rewards for reviews.
JPMiles / Payback Arrow
JPMiles / PAYBACK

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,671)
  • Greek first
  • Korean first
Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 March 2012

We love Mexico, especially Cancun. The weather is fantastic. The service at the Beach Palace is exceptional and the staff is very friendly. I strongly recommend this resort for a fun filled vacation.

1 Thank Marlin S
Fort McMurray, Canada
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 March 2012

We stayed at Beach Palace from Feb 19 to March 1. This was our 7th trip to Cancun/Mayan but our first trip to a Palace Resort and I would definitely return. I could not find one bad thing to say about this resort. I loved all the food, not one bad meal. It was so nice that you did not have to make reservations for the restaurants. The hotel provided free phone calls to Canada and the US! I loved how friendly all of the staff were, always smiling. I loved Nancy's Yoga lessons. She is awesome! I wish the resort sold a DVD of her Yoga lessons. All of the entertainment staff were excellent. I can't remember all of their names but they were all great. Thank you to Nancy, Joelle(?), Guima, Joshua, Jesus(?). There were three more..... All great!! My daughter and her friend loved the virgin mudslides on the roof. They said Omar made the best mudsldies :D. They loved the burgers that their favorite chef made them up at the roof top bar. I can't remember her name but I will post her picture. Thank you Gabriel who cooked my breakfast every morning just perfect. I loved your beautiful smile and personality.

The resort points were great. We used them to upgrade our room to an ocean view. We used them to go to Wet'n Wild and both girls swam with the dolphins. We also used the points for me to get a deep tissue massage as well as for both girls to get pedicures and manicures. We did the lobster dinner on the beach with the points as well. This was a beautiful experience. Thank you to the manager for taking the time to see if all was okay. I think his name was David.

The hotel has shows that they put on by the pool. This is good. I loved the sports bar. This had a band every night I think. We always went to bed early becuase we prefer to make the most of the sunshine :D There is always lots of chairs around the pool and the beach.

Overall, this was a great experience and I would defifnitely recommend this hotel. I will return. You will not be disappointed. Thank you again to each and every one of the employees at the Beach Palace Resort. You are all truly wonderful people. Our only disappointment on the trip was that my husband misplaced his Iphone4. Oh well.....

Thank you again from the Scott Family, Fort McMurray, Alberta, Canada.

5 Thank Dianne S
Sac City, Iowa
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 March 2012

We have enjoyed another year at the Beach Palace. The resort is absolutely beautiful and the entire resort staff is so eager to please, they all have smiling faces, up beat attitudes and are happy to help you. These individuals are what makes this the best vacation experience one could have. Thank you and see you all next year!

Room Tip: Purchase the conciere! It is worth the money!
  • Stayed February 2012, travelled with friends
5 Thank Sandi H
Nottingham, England, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 March 2012

This was an emergency transfer from an adjacent (substandard) resort so we paid top dollar for the all inclusive fee. That said, we feel that we still had excellent value for money.

We were offered $ 750 Resort Dollars if we attended a presentation, but we declined and we were not pressured, although there was friendly reference to a presentation if we wanted one.

Our room was on the top floor with fantastic views over the lagoon. We had a couple of issues with a dripping tap & an unopen plug, but persistance at reception eventually (after 3 visits) got a very helpful handyman to sort everything out - even going from room to room to find the faulty wi fi access point and rectify (quickly) - fast wi fi, incidently, GREAT!

The food was excellent and the staff warm, friendly and helpful - even carrying extra loungers to the beach as none were empty and then bringing a parasol for us.

The beach & pool waiters/waitresses were also good and efficient.

The facilities were first class and we shall definitely stay here again.

• Stayed February 2012, travelled as a couple