Sun Palace
Hard Rock Hotel Cancun(Cancun)
US$ 528
US$ 536
US$ 365
galahotels.com
6,571 results
All reviewsthe concierge leveloriental loungesteakel alamopablo winklerla trattoitalian restaurantlobby baralamo restaurantroom serviceconcierge dinnerour honeymoonchef's dinnerresort creditactivity poolfire showdinner on the beach
Reviewed 20 September 2012

It was a great honeymoon in the sun palace hotel. The hotel is beautiful , modern, and very clean. I recommend taking the sea view room with great and huge jacuzzi inside. The spa and beauty saloon are incredible, everyone are so professionals. The pool is beautiful and there is fun activities during the day.
The only thing was a little bit disappointing is the food - it was good and large variety but we expect more...anyway I will recommend this wonderful hotel and come back for sure!

• Stayed: September 2012
3  Thank Alitka
pwinkler, General Manager at Sun Palace, responded to this reviewResponded 3 October 2012

Thank you for a very objective review.

It is very interesting when reading these comments how different patrons view our services.

I wish I only knew what make some prefer certain services above others but the travel industry is great because no matter how clients travel or what their preferences are they remain individuals. This is what make our métier so unique and so fabulous.

I am very glad you were happy at Sun Palace and only hope to be able to host you again very soon.

Best regards,

Reviewed 20 September 2012

The Sun Palace Resort was simply one of the best resorts we have ever stayed at and we have stayed in some fantastic places.
The Good ..
All the shows they laid on were excellent.
The staff are all extremely friendly and seem to genuinely care about you having a great time.
If you're lucky enough to be offered Resort Dollars or Credits as part of your deal, please try to use them. You can upgrade your room ... have really nice wine with your meals .. use them for Tours .. or best of all, try out their Spa treatments. You only have to pay 11% government tax on the dollar value of any service.
The whole place is spotless .. and I mean spotless!
All the restaurants offer lovely food and the breakfast and lunch choices change daily. Not everything was to our taste but that's going to happen anywhere.
The beach attracts female adult trurltes to lay their eggs. This means that there are usually around 100 baby turtles being released by the guests every other night at 8pm. Don;t miss these.
There is an excellent gym hidden away on the 2nd floor. Don't bother to look for signs, there aren't any ... so it's quiet!
The staff are so attentive, I asked for two slices of lime with my first drink .. I hardly ever had to mention this again :o)
Staff were using our first names within the first few days .. that made us feel very welcome.
As a guest of The Sun Palace, we used some of the facilities at their sister resorts .. The Beach Palace (Sky Bar and the excellent Wok Restaurant), Moon Palace (3 x 9-Hole Golf Courses and awesome Brazilian Meat Feast) .. or the Isla Moheras Palace (lovely quiet beach and open air restaurant). I played golf during the "Twilight" time period which saved me about $100 .. My wide drove the golf cart provided and she loved it. Well worth the wait until 2:30pm and much cooler. Take some golf balls from home, although you can buy 12 pond balls there for $20. Club Hire is $50 for a full set of virtually new Callaway Diablo Irons and Woods. Take long pants with you on the day if you plan to eat at any of their more formal restaurants. This goes for any of the resorts.
The local bus service is awesome. 17 Pesos per couple one way, for any distance. If you're far from a bus stop .. and you never are really .. just stick out your hand and they'll usually stop for you. Tell them where you're going .. or staying and they'll usually stop at the appropriate stop. This is especially useful in the dark and/or if you've had a few beers! The whole of Cancun is also very, very safe.

The Not So Good
The tours we went on were just OK. The actual activities themselves .. swimming with dolphins, horse riding etc were great, but the way we were processed by the various tour operators before and after is poor at best. We did speak to other couples who had been to the Mayan Temples and Discovery Tours etc and they were happy. Note that most of the ruins trips involve a long bus journey to and from the locations.
The Isla Moheras Island Tour is one to avoid if you don't like YMCA and DJ Casper at deafening volume and Tequila shots being poured down your throat! It was our idea of hell. We hadn't even reached the ferry from Cancun to the island when the third party tour guide told us all that the trip was crap and that we should really buy another tour within this tour to make it worthwhile. Great!

Room Tip: Avoid the Isla Maheras Tour unless you're young and like drinking Tequila shots. This trip was my idea of hell! If you do the Dolphins Tour, leave every single piece of jewelry and hair bands etc at the hotel. The staff don;t earn much so please tip anyone who provides you with good service. Every little amount matters.
  • Stayed: September 2012, travelled as a couple
3  Thank Bob B

Very fetching and kind words. Thank you!

I particularly like your comment of the food being good and the fact that some things were different to your taste but, as you add, this will happen anywhere.

We spend an enormous amount of time and effort figuring menus with the most generally pleasing dishes. But when you travel you have to be, as you are, cognizant of the fact that you are in a different country (in your case even continent) where tastes, components and sometimes cooking flavor do change. After all, you travel to get to know different places and customs. What would be the sense in doing so if everything were exactly like back home?

The most important part for us is that you enjoyed your stay with us. It is that simple and yet that complicated as well.

I hope to be able to see you soon again. Please let me know.

Very best wishes,

Reviewed 20 September 2012

We had such a wonderful time. The wedding was more than what we could have asked for. We did the complimentary vow exchange and they provided everything. We got a nice gazebo on the beach and chairs, a minister, flowers, cake, champagne and pictures taken. All this for free. It took about 30 min with the very nice wedding planner to set everything up. We upgraded to concierge and it was well worth it. We also had a $1500 and we used every penny of it. The spa was fabulous and alot better than alot of ones that I have been too. The food was amazing, and I am the worlds pickiest eater, but I just could not get enough of it. The romantic dinner on the beach was very nice. We even got to release the sea turtles the week we were there. All the staff was incredible and they all started to get to know us and what we liked. The room service was also great. We always had a clean room, and they kept the fridge stocked with Coors light for my husband. We only had to request it once and they brought that for the rest of the week. We got our tub filled up almost everynight. We just called in and sceduled it. We had deserts and treats everynight waiting in our room. We enjoyed the included trips that the resort provided. Loved swimming with the dolphins. We really enjoyed all the entertainment also. The only negative we have to say is that the poor beach waitress have to walk along way to get a drink for the customers, maybe they should put a little bar closer on the beach for them. We also traveled under a member which gets you lot of better bonuses. Booking thru a member you already get a mani, pedi, and 25min massage, it only costs about 200 points to upgrade to concierge also, and we got 2 included trips for free.

Room Tip: I would definatly upgrade to concierge service. You getter a huge balcony with a 2 person bed on it instead of just a litle balcony.
  • Stayed: October 2011, travelled with family
3  Thank StefLakeLBJ

A veritable joy to read your very kind words!

If, as stated in your title, we had something to do with your honeymoon then we have attained our goal.

Honeymoons are always to be remembered as a happy event. You create your own memories and when they include Sun Palace you bestow a great honor and pride on our team. This is what we do and are very happy to do it well.

With best personal regards,

Reviewed 18 September 2012

My husband and I went to Cancun 7 years ago and stayed at the Sun Palace. I cried when we left because we had such an amazing time. Unfortunately the Sun Palace was heavily damaged in the hurricane and had to shut down while repairs and upgrades were being made. We dreamed of coming back so on our 18th anniversary September 3rd and we made it happen! When we checked in we were greated with warm hand towels and a cool drink. We were told our room was on the 2nd floor. I questioned why 2nd floor because I wanted a room with an excellent view and wanted to use my points to upgrade rooms. They told me I needed to tell them that on the front end. I would not have even known to use my points to upgrade if I had not read the reviews here first so just a word of caution, if you want to upgrade, mention it when you first arrive. The point system is explained to you AFTER you are provided your room key so that seemed a little backwards to me. We were given a room I believe on the 5th floor but when we walked in and looked out the window, we were looking at the top of the roof of the spa next to the pool bar. I called down the front desk and explained this was a trip we had dreamed about for 7 years and was there any way we could get a different room with a better view. Within minutes, we were at a different room with a great view. I heard the hotel was only at 50% capacity so not sure why the great rooms with great views aren't automatically provided? Anyway, no worries, it was all resolved quickly.

What we love about Sun Palace are the people. They are so welcoming and always ready to please. This resort is a smaller resort compared to other hotels in the area, but it's all in what you want. If you want a large hotel with a lot of activities going on at all times, this is not the place you want to stay. If you want rest, relaxation, great food, smaller scale entertainment, great access to beaches and excellent service, this is the place you want to go. I've stayed in larger resorts and hate walking past 2 huge swimming pools just to get to the beach. You are right on the beach at Sun Palace. There are some rocks that are exposed that can be a little hard on your feet when walking into the ocean but just find a soft spot and you will be fine. We loved seeing the turtles come lay eggs at night then releasing them into the ocean the following night.

Regarding the food, we had no complaints. We ate every where but the Italian. Everything else was great. Steak and shrimp outside at night overlooking the beach - come on, how much more do you want? I was wonderful. The staff works exceptionally hard to make sure you are pleased at all times. If you want or need something, just ask.

I cannot say anything bad about Sun Palace. The entertainment wasn't the greatest but that was ok for me. I wasn't there to be entertained - I was there to relax. If you want more from the entertainment, you can catch a bus right outside the front door for $1 and it will take you wherever you want to go.

We will be back and hope to bring my best friend and her husband with us. She has never been to Cancun and I can't think of a better place than Sun Palace for her first trip.

We met a lot of great people from all over the world during our trip and exchanged e-mails and phone #'s to stay in touch until we meet again same time next year!

Oh and did I mention how clean Sun Palace was? Spotless.

• Stayed: September 2012, travelled as a couple
5  Thank K B
pwinkler, General Manager at Sun Palace, responded to this reviewResponded 28 September 2012

When guests return they bring a gift with them: They are convinced!

I trust you found Sun Palace better than before. Actually, we used the damages of Wilma to totally upgrade our facility. From the machinery room to the roof.

Your very kind review tells the story of an enjoyable stay. This is what we vye for. The only thing better than your beautiful words will be your repeated visits.

With best personal regards,

Reviewed 17 September 2012

My wife and I visited the Sun Palace for the fourth time August 30 to September 6. This time we were celebrating our birthdays. Check-in went quickly. We were given a corner room on the 6th floor. The panoramic view of the ocean, lagoon and the sunsets was terrific. The room was decorated with a banner and balloons along with champagne and a birthday cake. We thank Karla, the Public Relations Director, for this pleasant and greatly appreciated surprise. We have great memories of the Romantic Dinner, Special Birthday Dinner and the Chef/Manager's Special Dinner (where the manager, Mr. Pablo Winkler, interpreted for the chef during the meal preparation). We also were fortunate to help release over 350 baby sea turtles one evening.
It was a pleasant surprise that so many of the staff remembered us from previous visits and seem genuinely pleased that you have returned to their hotel.
It is the personnel that make Sun Palace stand out. For example: Pedro provided chairs and umbrellas almost before we could ask for them. Roger provided the best beach and pool service we have ever experienced and always was very up beat and genial. Luis insured a wonderful Birthday Dinner even though we had to move from the beach to Italian Restaurant. Ricardo made every breakfast and most lunches in the Alamo most enjoyable. Ricardo is hard working, always attentive and pleasant. I have already mentioned Karla, but she is joy to deal with, always up beat and a seems genuinely interested in your well being. I feel that the management is responsible for the fine staff at Sun Palace because even Mr. Winkler recognized and remembered us and I am sure that is the case with lots of returning guests.
We look forward to our next visit because we are sure that it will be just as memorable.

• Stayed: August 2012, travelled as a couple
5  Thank RHETTCOZ
pwinkler, General Manager at Sun Palace, responded to this reviewResponded 27 September 2012

We do have very nice rooms if I say so myself. They're well appointed and 95 % have pretty full ocean views. Thank you for noticing.

Normally we do the Chef's dinner on Thursdays and it is one of the highlights of my week. I get to personally interact with 20 to 30 of my customers, which is an unique occasion. I will usually meet guests at meal hours or by the pool but as couples. Edgar and his staff do a fantastic job of this epicurean dinner and Ignacio and his people keep you well served and the beverages flowing. Its a blast!

You are very kind in mentioning some of my people. They work hard, love their jobs and are genuine in their quest for the perfect service. I'm very proud of them!

We appreciate your choosing our resort and hope that this will be the case many more times into the future.

With warm regards,