“Even Better than before”
Review of Sun Palace

Sun Palace
Ranked #10 of 180 Hotels in Cancun
illinois
“Even Better than before”
Reviewed 21 September 2012

This was my wife and I third trip to Sun Palace it was just as good or possibly better than before. We are Palace club members and have stayed at two of their other properties including the Le Blanc. The Le Blanc is all that and some but when it comes to customer service and cleanliness, the Sun Palace is all that as well. During our stay this past July, I can without hesitation say this was one of the most relaxing and well pampered times we have had at the Sun Palace. Everything from the food, entertainment, spa and staff was utterly pleasant to the point of not ever wanting leave. We were able to utilize our credit just as promised for a room upgrade, spa treatments and special romantic dinners. Why this resort isn't ranked higher or why anyone would complain, I don't understand. If you are trying to figure out whether to stay here or not stop wasting time and book it, you will not be disappointed. A big shout out to our favorite waiter Ricardo who took great care of us at breakfast each morning and to all of the friendly, nice and courteous staff at the Sun Palace including Luis the Manager who we watched as he checked to make sure all guests were getting the best possible service in all of Cancun. Hope to see you all again

Room Tip: The concierge upgrade is well worth it and you will enjoy the larger balcony.
  • Stayed July 2012, travelled as a couple
5 Thank drhw5
pwinkler, General Manager at Sun Palace, responded to this review, 3 October 2012
Thank you for honoring us with your repeat visits. By far the best way to know we have been successful in satisfying.

Many times I do wonder, as you so kindly point out why we're not rated higher. One thing I know for sure is competition is fierce. Cancun's stature in the travel industry comes from many very professional resorts vyeing for your visit. Also, the type of travelling plays a very important part. It is not the same if you travel with your couple as when you do family travelling because your attention is centered in other subjects. When you come to Sun Palace it is relaxation, pampering, good food and drinks. Our guests have nothing to worry about but their own pleasure. So that is our handicap and a very interesting one to boot.

If, when all is said and done, you have found what you expected, that speaks for itself. We do one guest at a time. Oh! And Ricardo is very happy you mentioned him. He has become a true service star.

Our warmest sentiments,
Turn Your Opinions into Points!
Turn your opinions into JPMiles
Turn your opinions into PAYBACK Points
*You can enroll in only one programme at a time to earn rewards for reviews.
JPMiles / Payback Arrow
JPMiles / PAYBACK

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,747)
  • Hebrew first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
Reviewed 20 September 2012

It was a great honeymoon in the sun palace hotel. The hotel is beautiful , modern, and very clean. I recommend taking the sea view room with great and huge jacuzzi inside. The spa and beauty saloon are incredible, everyone are so professionals. The pool is beautiful and there is fun activities during the day.
The only thing was a little bit disappointing is the food - it was good and large variety but we expect more...anyway I will recommend this wonderful hotel and come back for sure!

• Stayed September 2012
3 Thank Alitka
Thank you for a very objective review.

It is very interesting when reading these comments how different patrons view our services.

I wish I only knew what make some prefer certain services above others but the travel industry is great because no matter how clients travel or what their preferences are they remain individuals. This is what make our métier so unique and so fabulous.

I am very glad you were happy at Sun Palace and only hope to be able to host you again very soon.

Best regards,
Aberdeen, United Kingdom
Reviewed 20 September 2012

The Sun Palace Resort was simply one of the best resorts we have ever stayed at and we have stayed in some fantastic places.
The Good ..
All the shows they laid on were excellent.
The staff are all extremely friendly and seem to genuinely care about you having a great time.
If you're lucky enough to be offered Resort Dollars or Credits as part of your deal, please try to use them. You can upgrade your room ... have really nice wine with your meals .. use them for Tours .. or best of all, try out their Spa treatments. You only have to pay 11% government tax on the dollar value of any service.
The whole place is spotless .. and I mean spotless!
All the restaurants offer lovely food and the breakfast and lunch choices change daily. Not everything was to our taste but that's going to happen anywhere.
The beach attracts female adult trurltes to lay their eggs. This means that there are usually around 100 baby turtles being released by the guests every other night at 8pm. Don;t miss these.
There is an excellent gym hidden away on the 2nd floor. Don't bother to look for signs, there aren't any ... so it's quiet!
The staff are so attentive, I asked for two slices of lime with my first drink .. I hardly ever had to mention this again :o)
Staff were using our first names within the first few days .. that made us feel very welcome.
As a guest of The Sun Palace, we used some of the facilities at their sister resorts .. The Beach Palace (Sky Bar and the excellent Wok Restaurant), Moon Palace (3 x 9-Hole Golf Courses and awesome Brazilian Meat Feast) .. or the Isla Moheras Palace (lovely quiet beach and open air restaurant). I played golf during the "Twilight" time period which saved me about $100 .. My wide drove the golf cart provided and she loved it. Well worth the wait until 2:30pm and much cooler. Take some golf balls from home, although you can buy 12 pond balls there for $20. Club Hire is $50 for a full set of virtually new Callaway Diablo Irons and Woods. Take long pants with you on the day if you plan to eat at any of their more formal restaurants. This goes for any of the resorts.
The local bus service is awesome. 17 Pesos per couple one way, for any distance. If you're far from a bus stop .. and you never are really .. just stick out your hand and they'll usually stop for you. Tell them where you're going .. or staying and they'll usually stop at the appropriate stop. This is especially useful in the dark and/or if you've had a few beers! The whole of Cancun is also very, very safe.

The Not So Good
The tours we went on were just OK. The actual activities themselves .. swimming with dolphins, horse riding etc were great, but the way we were processed by the various tour operators before and after is poor at best. We did speak to other couples who had been to the Mayan Temples and Discovery Tours etc and they were happy. Note that most of the ruins trips involve a long bus journey to and from the locations.
The Isla Moheras Island Tour is one to avoid if you don't like YMCA and DJ Casper at deafening volume and Tequila shots being poured down your throat! It was our idea of hell. We hadn't even reached the ferry from Cancun to the island when the third party tour guide told us all that the trip was crap and that we should really buy another tour within this tour to make it worthwhile. Great!

Room Tip: Avoid the Isla Maheras Tour unless you're young and like drinking Tequila shots. This trip was m...
  • Stayed September 2012, travelled as a couple
3 Thank Bob B
Very fetching and kind words. Thank you!

I particularly like your comment of the food being good and the fact that some things were different to your taste but, as you add, this will happen anywhere.

We spend an enormous amount of time and effort figuring menus with the most generally pleasing dishes. But when you travel you have to be, as you are, cognizant of the fact that you are in a different country (in your case even continent) where tastes, components and sometimes cooking flavor do change. After all, you travel to get to know different places and customs. What would be the sense in doing so if everything were exactly like back home?

The most important part for us is that you enjoyed your stay with us. It is that simple and yet that complicated as well.

I hope to be able to see you soon again. Please let me know.

Very best wishes,
Lake LBJ
Reviewed 20 September 2012

We had such a wonderful time. The wedding was more than what we could have asked for. We did the complimentary vow exchange and they provided everything. We got a nice gazebo on the beach and chairs, a minister, flowers, cake, champagne and pictures taken. All this for free. It took about 30 min with the very nice wedding planner to set everything up. We upgraded to concierge and it was well worth it. We also had a $1500 and we used every penny of it. The spa was fabulous and alot better than alot of ones that I have been too. The food was amazing, and I am the worlds pickiest eater, but I just could not get enough of it. The romantic dinner on the beach was very nice. We even got to release the sea turtles the week we were there. All the staff was incredible and they all started to get to know us and what we liked. The room service was also great. We always had a clean room, and they kept the fridge stocked with Coors light for my husband. We only had to request it once and they brought that for the rest of the week. We got our tub filled up almost everynight. We just called in and sceduled it. We had deserts and treats everynight waiting in our room. We enjoyed the included trips that the resort provided. Loved swimming with the dolphins. We really enjoyed all the entertainment also. The only negative we have to say is that the poor beach waitress have to walk along way to get a drink for the customers, maybe they should put a little bar closer on the beach for them. We also traveled under a member which gets you lot of better bonuses. Booking thru a member you already get a mani, pedi, and 25min massage, it only costs about 200 points to upgrade to concierge also, and we got 2 included trips for free.

Room Tip: I would definatly upgrade to concierge service. You getter a huge balcony with a 2 person bed on it...
  • Stayed October 2011, travelled with family
3 Thank StefLakeLBJ
A veritable joy to read your very kind words!

If, as stated in your title, we had something to do with your honeymoon then we have attained our goal.

Honeymoons are always to be remembered as a happy event. You create your own memories and when they include Sun Palace you bestow a great honor and pride on our team. This is what we do and are very happy to do it well.

With best personal regards,
Memphis, Tennessee
Reviewed 18 September 2012

My husband and I went to Cancun 7 years ago and stayed at the Sun Palace. I cried when we left because we had such an amazing time. Unfortunately the Sun Palace was heavily damaged in the hurricane and had to shut down while repairs and upgrades were being made. We dreamed of coming back so on our 18th anniversary September 3rd and we made it happen! When we checked in we were greated with warm hand towels and a cool drink. We were told our room was on the 2nd floor. I questioned why 2nd floor because I wanted a room with an excellent view and wanted to use my points to upgrade rooms. They told me I needed to tell them that on the front end. I would not have even known to use my points to upgrade if I had not read the reviews here first so just a word of caution, if you want to upgrade, mention it when you first arrive. The point system is explained to you AFTER you are provided your room key so that seemed a little backwards to me. We were given a room I believe on the 5th floor but when we walked in and looked out the window, we were looking at the top of the roof of the spa next to the pool bar. I called down the front desk and explained this was a trip we had dreamed about for 7 years and was there any way we could get a different room with a better view. Within minutes, we were at a different room with a great view. I heard the hotel was only at 50% capacity so not sure why the great rooms with great views aren't automatically provided? Anyway, no worries, it was all resolved quickly.

What we love about Sun Palace are the people. They are so welcoming and always ready to please. This resort is a smaller resort compared to other hotels in the area, but it's all in what you want. If you want a large hotel with a lot of activities going on at all times, this is not the place you want to stay. If you want rest, relaxation, great food, smaller scale entertainment, great access to beaches and excellent service, this is the place you want to go. I've stayed in larger resorts and hate walking past 2 huge swimming pools just to get to the beach. You are right on the beach at Sun Palace. There are some rocks that are exposed that can be a little hard on your feet when walking into the ocean but just find a soft spot and you will be fine. We loved seeing the turtles come lay eggs at night then releasing them into the ocean the following night.

Regarding the food, we had no complaints. We ate every where but the Italian. Everything else was great. Steak and shrimp outside at night overlooking the beach - come on, how much more do you want? I was wonderful. The staff works exceptionally hard to make sure you are pleased at all times. If you want or need something, just ask.

I cannot say anything bad about Sun Palace. The entertainment wasn't the greatest but that was ok for me. I wasn't there to be entertained - I was there to relax. If you want more from the entertainment, you can catch a bus right outside the front door for $1 and it will take you wherever you want to go.

We will be back and hope to bring my best friend and her husband with us. She has never been to Cancun and I can't think of a better place than Sun Palace for her first trip.

We met a lot of great people from all over the world during our trip and exchanged e-mails and phone #'s to stay in touch until we meet again same time next year!

Oh and did I mention how clean Sun Palace was? Spotless.

• Stayed September 2012, travelled as a couple
5 Thank K B
pwinkler, General Manager at Sun Palace, responded to this review, 28 September 2012
When guests return they bring a gift with them: They are convinced!

I trust you found Sun Palace better than before. Actually, we used the damages of Wilma to totally upgrade our facility. From the machinery room to the roof.

Your very kind review tells the story of an enjoyable stay. This is what we vye for. The only thing better than your beautiful words will be your repeated visits.

With best personal regards,