“Restful, Quiet and Enjoyable”
Review of Sun Palace

Sun Palace
Ranked #8 of 175 Hotels in Cancun
Florida
“Restful, Quiet and Enjoyable”
Reviewed 24 April 2012

This was our first time visiting Sun Palace, we have stayed previously three times at Aventura Spa Palace. The service, staff and food was exceptional. The beach was very clean and the cushioned lounges with umbrellas to protect us from the sun, allowed us to stay at the beach for hours and hours. The area was so quiet that you forget their are other hotels around. The food variety and spa facilities were all top notch.
The staff was always available to help but never bothersome. The resort credits allow you to go on tours or have upgrades which is a nice addition to your trip. Entertainment staff was excellent and they tried to involve guests in outdoor and nightly activities.
The beds are very firm.
We highly recommend this hotel and we will return again

Room Tip: Upgrade to concierge level with resort credits if available.
  • Stayed April 2012, travelled solo
5 Thank ssc_Florida
pwinkler, General Manager at Sun Palace, responded to this review, 26 April 2012
Although our property is small by the area's standards the land it was built on comprises a very substantial beach front (ca. 500 feet). I would dare say it is one of the resorts with more beachfront per room that I know of in Cancun. So, yes, I concur with your opinion of being able to forget the surroundings.

You mention service being good but unobtrusive. That's the way it should be. Toghether with the feeling of openess in our beach you should be left alone except when you require something. I am very appreciative of your keen views.

Best wishes,
Turn Your Opinions into Points!
Turn your opinions into JPMiles
Turn your opinions into PAYBACK Points
*You can enroll in only one programme at a time to earn rewards for reviews.
JPMiles / Payback Arrow
JPMiles / PAYBACK

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,777)
  • Hebrew first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
Chicago Area
Reviewed 24 April 2012

We visited the Sun Palace for our anniversary from April 2nd to April 9th, 2012 and had a fantastic time. This was our third stay at the Sun Palace. We stayed on the 4th floor in a junior suite concierge room. The 3rd, 4th and 5th floor levels are the concierge levels. The major differences between the concierge level and the normal Jacuzzi suites are that the rooms are a little larger with a sitting area, with a concierge on one of the three floors that will help you with any problems and with your travel plans. There are special areas on the beach and the pool with more comfortable cushioned chase lounges for guests with concierge rooms. On our anniversary evening we had a romantic dinner on the beach with a filet and shrimp. Most steaks in Mexico tend to be fairly thin, grisly and fatty, but tasty. The filet was a nice size (6-8 oz), thick and done perfectly and more like a fine cut that you would expect to get at a good steak restaurant in the US. The hotel, for the most part is well maintained, although the water temperature in our shower fluctuated greatly and was quite annoying. The hydrotherapy portion of the spa is coed and is not very impressive. The temperature of the Jacuzzi in the coed hydrotherapy area was only lukewarm, same as last year. The hydrotherapy areas of the spa at the Moon Palace are much, much better. The men’s side of the Moon Palace spa has a cold dunking pool, a very warm Jacuzzi (almost too warm), a foot whirlpool, a sauna, a steam room and a drench shower, but I digress. Other than some other minor maintenance issues, the Sun Palace is very well maintained and very clean. My favorite meal on vacation is an excellent buffet breakfast with an omelet made to order topped with mildly hot salsa rojo, extra crispy bacon, fantastic orange juice, great coffee and refried beans and the breakfast at the Sun Palace did not disappoint me. The buffet lunch is very good and they do mix up the offerings. The lunch and dinner desserts are also very good but can be somewhat repetitive. For dinner, the outside restaurant has a variety of beef, chicken and fish cooked on an open grill to your liking. The chef tends to over salt everything on the grill. But that can easily be fixed by just asking your server to request no salt on whatever you order. We do try to speak Spanish but we suck at it. However, the staff does appreciate and is somewhat amused at our feeble attempts to speak Spanish. Thank goodness that most of them do a much better job of speaking English and even French in some cases. I’ve saved the best for last. Of all the Palace resorts that we’ve stayed at, aside from Le Blanc, the service is second to none. All of the staff is excellent and because of the size of the resort, and the fact that there are only four restaurants, you actually get to know more of the staff by name. The most outstanding staff member and probably the best staff person we have ever dealt with at any Palace Resort, including LeBlanc was Pamela, in the main lobby. She, alone, put our stay at the Sun Palace over the top. We can’t thank Pamela enough. Next year, we hope to stay at the Cozumel Palace, which we hope will be a similar experience since its size is similar to the Sun Palace.

Room Tip: Room numbers that end in 09 through 15 have a good view sunrise view looking southeast over the Cari...
3 Thank robby-d
We appreciate your kind comments, the good and not so good. Our guests know best!

That you can't speak the language very well is to be expected. But that you give it a go is so important! It shows people you care about their culture. You might pronounce things in a funny way. The important thing is that you let them know you are conscious that yours is not the only language spoken. You'd be surprised at how many people tend to oversee this. And one garners so much respect and closeness by these details...

Thank you very much for your mention of our service quality. We are very proud of it and try to better it every day a bit more.

With fond regards,
Cuyahoga Falls, Ohio
Reviewed 23 April 2012

We recently spent 3 nights at the Sun Palace Resort in Cancun. We are a huge fan of the palace resorts, having stayed at the Cancun Palace for our honeymoon. We were suppose to stay a full week for our anniversary that was on the 16th , but shortened the trip to save money when we found out I was pregnant. (We wish we could have stayed the full week!!)

The Sun Palace is a small resort, which I enjoyed. I work in childcare so I was happy to be in an adult/couples only hotel! It was a nice break from my normal day. I was nervous traveling to Mexico being pregnant. I was not sure how I would respond to food and the heat. We enjoyed every moment!

Upon arrival we were greeted with a cool towel and I was given flowers. We checked in at the desk and the staff was very kind, answering all of my husbands questions. Orbitz messed up our reservation by not letting the hotel know of our changes, therefore we did not have a room upon arrival. I was nervous, but the staff handled it very professionally and kindly. We were provided the Jr. Suite with an ocean view we had paid for without question. However, we had to wait until after 3 p.m. to go to our room because it was not ready. They gave us our wrist bands and we were able to eat lunch, walk around the resort and change into more comfortable clothes in the bathroom so we could get our vacation started.

The resort was always very clean. The staff is always cleaning! I will say that I believe the palace resorts are cleaner than some of our nice U.S. hotels. They don't wait for something to be dirty before they clean it, they clean before it has a chance! Our room was beautiful with all of the amenities we could have needed. i especially loved our large balcony overlooking the ocean. My husband thought the bed was harder than he remembered, but I think he was just sore from jet skiing! I requested an additional king size pillow since I did not bring my pregnancy pillow and it was brought to me within minutes.

The resort pools were all lovely and there was never an issue finding a chair or an umbrella. The activities staff were very nice and had a variety of activities to participate in. My husband played pool volleyball while i relaxed and read under an umbrella. They even had a covered pool that I could go in to avoid over heating or over exposing myself to the sun. (I tried not to overexpose myself due to pregnancy). My only suggestion would be they fix the hole that is covered in the main pool because I did lose my footing once. I also do wish there was a little more green space with palm trees, but with the ocean right there I can surely deal!

The food was really good, especially breakfast. I eat mostly chicken and was happy that I had that option every night if I really wanted it. The food did not make me sick at all. In fact, I felt no morning sickness the entire time I was there! The staff was quick and very nice, always willing to bring anything you needed. Many complain about the food, but they do need to understand that some things may taste differently in a foreign country. Overall I thought the quality was good. I am not much for fancy food so I was happy they had chicken, eggs, pasta and lots of fresh fruit! (The food quality at the palace is much better than the GR Solaris, which is where we stayed last time. We will only stay at palace resorts from now on!)

We used the resort credit so I could get a manicure/pedicure in the Spa. She did a really nice job and it was very relaxing! We also had the lobster/steak dinner on the beach. Although I didn't care for the soup or salad, the steak was delicious. (I didn't want lobster) The wait staff were very kind and offered to bring me something else to drink since I couldn't have alcohol. They were very accommodating. The cheesecake was my favorite part of the dinner! YUM!

Overall it was a short, but wonderful trip. We miss the ocean and sunshine already. (It is freezing in Ohio) We will be back to the Sun Palace, although it may be a couple of years with a new baby! :)

Room Tip: Next time I would upgrade to the concierge level. (We did on our honeymoon)
2 Thank JHerold84
My fahter used to say Mexico is a children's country. Although not born here, he was very much in love with this country and its people. And in those days this nation was especially prolific. Less so now. Indeed, kids are becoming more and more of a luxury!

Mexicans have a very special sentiment for pregnancy, almost mystical...so they understand what the needs are.

I am very happy that you found yourself well taken care of and at a very important moment. You have the advantage of working with the small ones but your own, well...I'm sure you've heard it all.

Our heartfelt congratulations on this milestone. We will be here for you always.

With our happiest salutations,
oklahoma
Reviewed 23 April 2012

This was our 5th time to the Cancun/Maya area and first time at a "Palace" resort. The service of the staff at the Sun Palace was BY FAR the best we have ever received.

Everything else is pretty comparable to the other resorts. Beds are hard (just like every other resort), food was good...the Oriental was our favorite.

There were always lounges available on the beach...which isn't the case at most other resorts unless you get up a 6am and put a towel on one and then never come back for 6 hours!! Although all the wasted lounges and space that is taken up by the concierge area was a bit ridiculous.

2 Thank osumason
Service is what distingushes a resort. We are fortunate to have a very committed staff that geniuinely enjoys serving our very appreciated guests.

Next time you come we guarantee a bed more to your taste. We are in the process of changing all our mattresses, not because they aren't good or because they are old, which they aren't. But we do listen to our guests and act accordingly.

As to the beach lounges, we have the same number in both categories. I agree not all are used all the time but some things cannot be predicted. So we'd rahter err on the side of amplitude.

We hope to enjoy the pleasure of your company in the very near future,

Best regards,
Indiana, United States
Reviewed 22 April 2012

We have visited the Sun Palace twice--first for our honeymoon in July 2010 and again in December 2011.

Both times, we took advantage of the resort credits to upgrade to Concierge Level, which we would highly recommend. Concierge Level has access to upgraded room service, a 25-minute massage, a pillow/aromatherapy menu, and a concierge dinner on the beach. Using these credits, we took advantage of spa services (massages, pedicures), swam with the dolphins, brought home a tequila giftset, and enjoyed a wonderful photography session in the garden across the street. The photographs are among our very favorites, and the staff are very professional.

The food at Sun Palace is delicious and rivals the quality at any restaurant in the U.S. Breakfast includes fresh fruit, yogurt, traditional breakfast offerings, a full selection of bread and pastries, some traditional Mexican dishes, and a fresh egg/omelet station. The staff was always happy to accommodate my requests, and I enjoyed my "one egg + two whites" omelets each day. If you have a chance, definitely try the stuffed poblano pepper at breakfast--a nice kick.

Lunch was also delicious, and the staff were happy to grill or stirfry any dish you could think up. There was always cooked-to-order chicken, beef, and fish available, along with pasta and burger stations, and traditional Mexican dishes. Plus, the salad bar was fantastic--especially the delicious vinaigrette, which I have tried (and failed) to recreate at home.

Dinner time at Sun Palace was like a romantic date night every night. We especially loved the Italian and Mexican restaurants--definitely ask for a Mayan Coffee. The sushi at the Asian/Thai restaurant was also fresh and artfully presented, though we never tried entrees there.

The service at Sun Palace exceeded any expectations. Marisol at the Alamo stood out, as well as Daniela, the photographer we worked with. The service really makes the trip special, and it is evident that Mr. Winkler and his staff have high standards.

The pool areas are generally very quiet and relaxing--just what we look for on vacation. The entertainment staff is friendly, but not pushy... The bartenders both in and around the pools are skilled and quick to deliver a variety of delicious drinks, accommodating any request we made. There is no need to play the towel game--we chuckled a bit as we watched one group marching down to the pool at 7:00 A.M. to stake their claim.

Overall, this an excellent place for relaxation and rejuvenation. Thank you to Mr. Winkler and the staff of Sun Palace for the wonderful memories!

Room Tip: If you can use the credits provided, upgrade to concierge level. The added bonuses (massages, roman...
  • Stayed December 2011, travelled as a couple
1 Thank RL_Indiana
December? Wow, you need some R&R by now!

A delicious review (I feel very close to "adventuresome" diners who will, as you did, try something new...Chiles rellenos!). When you travel you go to new places, meet new people and try different foods. No? Otherwise you're missing out...

We thank you for trusting us with your precious vacation time. Rest assured that every time you return we will try to make your experience even better!

Warmest regards,