“Our Favorite Palace Resort”
Review of Sun Palace

Sun Palace
Ranked #10 of 181 Hotels in Cancun
Cunningham
“Our Favorite Palace Resort”
Reviewed 1 March 2012

We have stayed at and visited other palace resorts this was our second time at the Sun Palace in the last three years and will return. We enjoy the atmosphere, not as busy or crowded as the larger resorts. We enjoy meeting and talking with staff the are always so friendly and helpful. By the end of our visits we feel as if we have made new friends and hope to see them next year, many we do remember from past years. This year we shared our experience with our daughter and son in law it was their first time at the Sun Palace, the said it was the best vacation they ever had. We are already talking about next year. We had hoped everything would be perfect for the kids and were not disappointed. Great rooms, food, beach, staff, weather and value. I have read past reviews when people complained of things not being up their satisfaction, I have had a few small issues myself the GM Mr.Winkler is very approachable and took care of us on the spot. Can't wait to return.

Room Tip: Higher floors offer great beach view and quiet!
  • Stayed February 2012, travelled with family
4 Thank Duane D
pwinkler, General Manager at Sun Palace, responded to this review, 5 March 2012
This is my favorite Palace as well. The guests are such a bunch of nice people! It is my pleasure and honor to get to meet so many of them. Each with their own stories, personalities, likes and dislikes. For the most part it is so easy to please you because you are kind and your requests are fair.

This is something they don't teach you at hotel school. You make many wonderfull acquaintances simply by listening and empathizing.

I love walking around the pool and seeing how untill now strangers from different origins and latitudes feel at ease making friends amongst other guests. It is so heartwarming!

Thank you, oh thank you for being my patrons. You are the best!

My warmest regards,
Turn Your Opinions into Points!
Turn your opinions into JPMiles
Turn your opinions into PAYBACK Points
*You can enroll in only one programme at a time to earn rewards for reviews.
JPMiles / Payback Arrow
JPMiles / PAYBACK

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,749)
  • Hebrew first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
Rochester
Reviewed 29 February 2012

This was our third visit to the Sun Palace in the past four years. My wife and I love being treated like royalty while staying in such a nice place. This year we upgraded to concierge which adds some nice features but what really makes this place are the people. From the bellboys and waitstaff to the management you truly get a five star experience. In the past we have enjoyed the excursions but this year we dedicated ourselves to the beach and the spa. My wife commented she received the best facial of her life and I could live on the beach and in the water. I have recommended the Sun Palace to many friends and family who have been equally as pleased. Thank you this year to entertainment Alejandro and the hostesses in the breakfast buffet. You rock!

5 Thank manson5150
pwinkler, General Manager at Sun Palace, responded to this review, 5 March 2012
Nothing beats when our patrons repeat their visits. Without much ado, the best proof that yoy feel happy and well served whilst with us. Simply priceless!

Personally I too keep going back to places and services which continuously offer warm experiences and friendly surroundings. There are some of us who are this way. Others might be more adventuresome. Whatever makes you tick!

Thank you for believing in us and giving us opportunities to offer happy moments!

Very cordially,
Washington DC, District of Columbia
Reviewed 29 February 2012

So I'm not sure which audience to address first, travelers or wedding couples....I'll go with travelers.

Overall Sun Palace is AMAZING. I swear every month I wish I could find a way to get back. Whenever I'm looking up resorts to visit outside of Cancun, it's my hopes that they are just like Sun Palace. I can't even imagine staying anywhere besides Sun Palace on my next visit to Cancun.

From the moments you pull up to the front, you are immediately engulfed in the luxurious experience that is Sun Palace. All the staff are prompt, attentive to needs and extremely friendly.

The resort is clean and the food is amazing. The room is even more luxurious! Everywhere you walk in the resort you get breathtaking views of either the sea or the lagoon due to the extensive amount of windows everywhere.

You definitely get what you pay for and this resort is worth EVERY penny. The fact that it's adults only is PRICELESS. I visited the other Palace resorts which were beautiful as well but the entire time I was thinking, "Get me back to Sun Palace...away from these kids!" I mean nothing against families and beautiful kiddies of course. But there is just something about the serene calm and child free environment that Sun Palace offered as a child free resort.

I thoroughly enjoyed my room on the 6th floor. I had a large balcony and was able to take naps during the day and I even slept on my balcony one evening! Room service food is amazing! I think I ordered room service more than I ate in the restaurants. It was just so yummy and convenient. But I enjoyed all my dining experiences.

Ok for the wedding couples. I got married at Sun Palace on August 6, 2011. It was me, my husband and 32 of our closest friends and family staying at the resort. Most of our guests stayed 4-5 days. A few left earlier and one couple were there for a week just as I was.

The wedding planning process with Cintya Ortiz via email was very easy! Let me start by saying if you are a bride that finds herself stressing over all the mundane details involved in planning a wedding, maybe a destination wedding isn't for you. I mean I was the most laid back bride ever and I'm so happy I did not spend all my time "stressed out" leading up to the wedding because our wedding turned out beautifully, no stress!

Basically I was not the bride who has been dreaming of her wedding since she was 5. Nope. I'm 25 and wanted something non-traditional. When I saw the wedding collection pictures from Sun Palace I said THAT is what I'm dreaming about. I want my wedding to look just like that. And so it was....

The moment I arrived I checked in with the wedding coordinator to finalize some things and then we were free to go. All I had to do was SHOW UP on the day of the wedding. My wedding was at 5:00pm so earlier in the day I was at the pool, the beach, having cocktails....relaxing.

I began preparing for the wedding by ordering room service of course! lol To include tequila. :-)

I didn't go to the spa for hair and make up because I just had that under control myself. I think I would have benefited from a rehearsal but, oh well. We all made it down the aisle! The minister was amazing and my friends still talk about his speech. Even his speech surprised me during the wedding because it was so thorough. You would have thought we had known him forever when in reality we had never met.

Smile Market did our photography and ALL our photos were amazing. I had a before/after session, ceremony and trash the dress photo shoot the following day.

For our reception after dinner in the restaurant we had a 45 minute fire/drum show on the beach with a full bar and more food stocked. It was just overall amazing. For any brides that have questions or want to see pics, email me. I know I had plenty of questions when I was searing for pics of Sun Palace Weddings. ([--] is email and here's a link to some of the wedding pictures Smile Market posted [--])

We used all of our resort credits towards the wedding which was fine. But every single one of our guests, male and female, had massages, dinners on the beach, photoshoots.....I mean you name it. Those resort credits go a LONG way.

The ONLY negative experience about my wedding really had nothing to do with the resort. Wedding couples are eligible for incentives depending on how many nights/rooms are booked. Are travel agents just did us so wrong. They did not book us correctly so even though we were eligible for complimentary nights, we never received them. I swear it is still a sore spot with me and brings tears to my eyes actually because we really could have used comp nights for a return visit as we would really like to return for our anniversary.

Overall GO to Sun Palace for vacation and/or GET MARRIED at Sun Palace! It will be the time of our life.

• Stayed August 2011, travelled as a couple
3 Thank Charde' L
pwinkler, General Manager at Sun Palace, responded to this review, 5 March 2012
Oh! How refreshing to get your comments. Exactly who we want to be for everyone.
I am very happy that most couples who get married in our resorts -while still understandably stressed by the importance of the event- appear to have enjoyed the occasion. I think it is a very good value-price...not to mention stress-enjoyment event. Our wedding coordinators work very, very hard but it definitely helps when you stay at the property where you host your wedding. Our staff gets to know you and your guests and thereby can cater to each one in a personal manner.

As to your very kind comments on the facilities and service I really thank you for such kindness.

Receive our heartfelt congratulations and come back every once in a while. We proudly feel part of your memories.
MA
Reviewed 28 February 2012

If you expect a four star hotel you will likely be pleased. If you expect higher you will be disappointed. This is not Le Blanc (which we love). The pros would be nice beach, beach chairs, good waitstaff and large rooms. We used all our promo points and got free massages, jewelry, pictures and romantic dinner on the beach. The negatives: We hated the bathroom. There is no privacy which is awful. I think the biggest disappointment would be the drinks. They are so weak that you wonder if there is anything in them. Even when you watch them make it or ask for a double, you don't taste alcohol. Drinks must be watered down. The other issue was the lack of music. There isn't any real entertainment, only some silly games. If they just got a piano player or guitar player at night, it would make a big difference. Cocktail hour and after dinner is a drag. Lastly, I thought it was crazy that they you got different beach chairs if you were in the "lower class rooms." There are enough nice chairs to go around and who needs to be treated like second class citizens. I thought that was absolutely ridiculous and I was in the nice chairs.

Room Tip: Upgrade with promotional dollars
6 Thank beachtherapy1
pwinkler, General Manager at Sun Palace, responded to this review, 5 March 2012
Thank you for your input.

A stated in the previous review, we do not pretend to be what we aren't. If you come to our property which is not the priciest we will offer you the best of services and our best disposition to correct anything that is not what you want. We do not water our drinks down. Its against the law and more importantly against our best judgement. I do know that if you let a drink sit for some time in our heat and humidity, the ice will melt and they will be soggy. Simply ask fo another. We'll be happy to comply. It won't cost you extra.

Star ratings are misleading. The only ratings that really count for us are the ones you, our clients, give us. I wasn't happy to be rated 3 stars but I totally respect your opinion and will do everything within my power to have a better product based on your kind feed-back.

Respectfully,
Long Island, New York
Reviewed 28 February 2012

We stayed at Le Blanc last year and worried going into this trip that Sun Palace would not compare. Although the differences were noticeable, Sun Palace was an excellent value for the price paid (~20% less than Le Blanc). The upgrade to the concierge was well worth it if you were staying less than 5 nights like we were, as the amount of resort dollars we had would not have been enough to pay for the dinner on the beach and 25 minute massages that came with the concierge upgrade. We originally were placed in room 115 (on the quiet side of the hotel but just above The Steak and The Alamo restaurants. We then moved to the concierge upgrade (room 329), which overlooked the activity pool. Private balcony and noise was not an issue for us. Beach volleyball, pool volleyball, and water polo kept us busy during the day. Activity staff did a good job giving the resort a bit more life than Le Blanc. The poolside snack bar was also great as you didn't have to wait for snacks that sometimes took a while at Le Blanc. Poolside drink service was prompt and the employees were all around excellent. Use of wildlife to encourage purchase of photography packages was also a nice touch as we would not have used all of our resort dollars otherwise. In all we would stay again but have decided that the grounds at Le Blanc are a better match for our wedding needs.

5 Thank finite35
pwinkler, General Manager at Sun Palace, responded to this review, 5 March 2012
Thank you for a very complimentary review of Sun Palace.

I have to say, with all due respect, that we are not any other property but Sun Palace and we offer different things so as to make the Palace choice palette something for everyone. We are friendly service, we are couples only, we are down to earth, where every member of our staff seeks to give the best of his or her person to make you feel at ease.

Our price is calculated accordingly. The best resort for everyone is the one you can afford and feel that you got a fair value for your money. This is what we are.

I thank you for trying us out and being very honest about the differences you found between us and other. as long as you feel you were well served.

With sincere best wishes,