“Wonderful Vacation!!!”

GreenLeadersPlatinum level
Saint Louis, Missouri
“Wonderful Vacation!!!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 August 2012

I stayed at the Iberostar resort August 1st – 7th. I traveled with my mother and my daughter. We all had a wonderful time. The beach was beautiful, especially at night!! We were lucky enough to see several sea turtles come ashore! The staff was excellent, very attentive and made us feel special. The daily activities were so fun we participated everyday. The food was great. The nightly shows were entertaining. The spa area felt like a secret getaway. The guests staying at the same time were a lot of fun! I cannot wait to go back. Want do you think guys. . . .want to go back in January?

4 Thank Debby H
IberostarMexico, Quality manager at Iberostar Cancun, responded to this review, 1 September 2012
Dear Guest,

We would like to thank you for your review and for the opportunity you have given us by choosing the Iberostar Cancun.
We are glad to hear that you and your family enjoy our many activities like the nightly shows and the beautiful spa that we have, also we are extremely proud to know that our staff is excellent.
We are even more pleased to hear that you have not found a place you like better!
Thanks again for your review and please come back soon, we want to continue to exceed your expectations and remain your favorite place to stay on Cancun.

Iberostar Cancun
Turn Your Opinions into Points!
Turn your opinions into JPMiles
Turn your opinions into PAYBACK Points
*You can enroll in only one programme at a time to earn rewards for reviews.
JPMiles / Payback Arrow
JPMiles / PAYBACK

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,007)
  • Hebrew first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
  • Slovak first
  • Turkish first
ATL
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 August 2012

We stayed at the Iberostar Cancun the week of during the week of 8/6 the week of Hurricane Ernesto. I thought the staff did a great job entertaining the guests in the Lobby area with games etc.

Side note: We chose this hotel based on the reviews from Trip Advisor so I thought I would pay back with a review of my own (my 1st ever). Overall the reviews were very accurate pertaining to the wonderful wait staff, entertainers, water park for the kids and unfortunately also the negative reviews pertaining to the Front Desk (more on that below). We also chose this hotel b/c of the very close proximity to the airport, family oriented and safe and clean.

Here is a quick review on the trip:
Hotel Check-in:
Grade: D-
Unfortunately the worst part of the trip. We had to wait in line for a good 15 minutes (which can be allot with young kids in a Hot lobby). At the end of the check-in process, I then confirmed the room was to have a Balcony. They asked me for proof, It’s a good thing (as we did not need to show any paperwork up to this point) that I indeed printed everything out ahead of time so I can prove the fact we were to have a Balcony room. The person behind the desk then went to a “back-room” to verify 100%. She then came back and said OK. It was like she was doing me a favor. She then said the room was not ready yet but we can of course get lunch etc. BTW it was 1:10 Local time. After lunch about (45 min) I went back to the front desk and the room was still not ready. Another woman told me to check back in 30 minutes. When I asked if in 30 minutes the room will be ready she told me “more or less”. Again thought was a bit rude. At this point kids were very “rambunctious” to say the least AND upset as our bathing suits were in the suite case with the bell hop. About 40 minutes had passed and my wife then went back to the front desk and at that point, the person behind the desk pointed to a sign that said Check-in is at 3:00 and they don’t have to give us a room until 3. I then came over and told them that’s fine but should have told us when we checked in that our room would not be ready until 3. (We would have then grabbed our suit cases and got changed). Anyways I then got the suite cases from the bell-hop. As my wife was looking for the suits; they came over and gave us the keys just after 3 PM. When we got to the room, the fridge had not been cleaned (someone had left old food in it), and there was neither water bottles nor a pull out bed which we had requested ahead of time. I went back down to the desk and explained the situation. The man did have a look like I was a bit crazy. He said it would all be taken care of. SO we changed and went swimming etc and enjoyed the wonderful pools and beach. (Details on that below). We got back to the room just after 5 and the fridge was cleaned but no pull out bed. I called down and they told me someone would be up soon. After we showered and changed someone did deliver a pull out bed. I asked him to please bring us some water and they did.
Sorry for the details but wanted to point out the issues for checking-in and the lack of great customer service by the front desk people. Not sure if this is a reflection of the Iberostar management / culture.

Thankfully the rest of the employees we interacted with were spectacular! The wait staff at all the restaurants was fantastic, they were great with the kids, knew what we wanted after a few meals, and provided very much 5 Star service.

Food:
Grade: A
The buffet restaurants had huge variety and for buffet very high quality. Lunches were all different. We ate 1 dinner at the buffet, Breakfasts were awesome as well.
They must have had some great pastry chefs, as the quality of deserts and presentations of the deserts were most certainly 5 star. Not to mention every meal they had 4 different flavors if ice cream!
Specialty restaurants all with fantastic service:
• Japanese: Very good (not great). Service and show fantastic
• Steak: High quality steak, appetizer buffet bar with wings etc. Kids enjoyed that.
• Mexican: Very authentic great. Again had a appetizer bar as well.

Beach / Pools: A++++++
• Pools were fantastic, clean and not crowded. The water park (which is one of the main reasons why we chose this hotel) was great and kids spent many hours there when not on the beach.
• Beach was wonderful. Huge and again very clean. Hotel even had security folks walking the area in front of the hotel as well. Many chairs and umbrella stands as well for guests. Also no rocks etc like there is down near Cozumel. Rip currents before and after the Hurricane were very bad and could not go in past our waist which was fine. Each morning I did see folks cleaning the beach and picking up seaweed etc. More of course after the Hurricane.
Overall except for the check in process which was stressful and frustrating, the hotel was GREAT for what we wanted. 4 to 5ish stars, staff wonderful (except front desk) and very family friendly. All the common areas clean.

I do agree with the reviewers in regards to tipping. If you staying at this hotel which of course is AL there still is NO reason not to tip. I tipped just a few dollars each meal at the buffet meals and at the outside bar, a few more at the specialty restaurants. They really do work hard and seemed especially grateful.

We would like to consider this hotel next summer as its great for families, looking for a great value, clean and safe. However the front desk can impact a trip greatly and I will would most likely look elsewhere first given the issues with the front desk. Should the front desk issues be overcome perhaps with training etc. I would consider coming back next year to the Iberostar Cancun.

Room Tip: Balcony makes a avg size room larger!
4 Thank ScottATL
IberostarMexico, Quality manager at Iberostar Cancun, responded to this review, 7 September 2012
Dear Guest,

We would like to thanks for choosing The Iberostar Cancun for your family's recent vacation. It was great to hear that you enjoyed our facilities and that your kids enjoyed the water park. Also we are glad to know your comments about the restaurants and some especial points of each.
We sincerely apologize for the inconveniences you experimented upon check-in. Situations like the one you describe should definitely not happen. Rest assure we have taken the necessary measures to prevent situations like this from happening again. We truly look forward to having you back soon, we´ll be thrilled to host you. We will pass your feedback onto our Reception management to ensure these concerns are addressed.
We hope to welcome you and your family back so that you are able to see these improvements first hand. Again, thank you for your review!

Atlanta, Georgia, USA
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 August 2012

My husband and I stayed at Iberostar Cancun Aug 5-8. First impressions were great! The lobby is beautiful and the staff very friendly. We arrived around 12:30 and was told our room wouldn't be ready til 3. We changed into our swimsuits and headed to grab lunch at the buffet and spend our time waiting at the pool. Lunch at the Mexican buffet was pretty good. They offered authentic Mexican food and American food. The pool was fantastic! The pool ended up being the BEST part of our trip. Although, the pool bar was not great. The bartenders aren't that friendly and the liquor is most definately bottom shelf. Our check-in was delayed until4 which was a little irritating, but the lobby bar has the best service and liquor so that helped the wait. ;) Our room was on the 1st level with an oceanview. The room was very clean and comfortable. The only complaint we had was it never got really cool. The A/C either couldn't keep up with the heat or it was programmed not to get any cooler. It wasn't sweaty hot, but it wasn't cool either. I would also recommend making reservations for dinner WELL in advance. We were unable to get into the steakhouse any night. The Japanese restaurant was not great. The main buffet dining room was ok. They provided the same foods each meal. Breakfast was the best meal. The home-made donuts were amazing.
We are up in the air whether we'd go back or not. If the food was better and the liquor was more premium, we would definately return. The pool and beach is amazing and the rooms nice and clean. It was good for a 3 day getaway!

• Stayed August 2012, travelled as a couple
Review collected in partnership with Iberostar

4 Thank sharkey1011
Dear Guest,

Thank you for choosing to stay with us at Iberostar Cancun and for taking your time to write a review of your experience.
I do apologize for the inconvenience that you had at the check-in.
We appreciate you pointing some of our areas opportunity, we take note about your suggestions with the food variety at the buffet and the liquor at the pool bar.
Glad you enjoyed our amazing pool.
We hope the next time you visit Cancun you will choose to stay with us again.

San Diego, California
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 14 August 2012

We were delighted by our stay at the Iberostar Cancun. Very nice hotel, friendly staff and great entertainment nightly at the Telon theater. They work really hard to put together the shows. My husband and I rented a car and drove doen the "hotel zone", there were other hotels that looked beautiful from the front, but once we walked the property, there was no comparing to the Iberostar's layout, pool area, and mostly clean beachfront property. Can't wait to go back!!! On a side note...if you are going to an "all inclusive, tips are appreciated and should be given to the staff,particularly at the restaurants. These people bust their butts to accomodate every request. I saw many AMERICAN families, large groups of 8+ people being waited on hand and foot and NEVER tipped for the service!

1 Thank Gabriela C
Dear Guest,

Thank you for leaving your review on Trip advisor and for your recent visit to Iberostar Cancun.
We were very pleased to read that you enjoyed your stay and our facilities.
For us the comments like our staff have contributed to your happiness is gratifying.
Thank you again for your review and your details for future guests. We hope to welcome you back very soon.

San Jose, California
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 14 August 2012

The hotel was nice. Not as modern as some of the other Cancun resort. Staff was friendly and helpful. The seafood restaurant by the beach is very good. My wife and I had dinner there twice. Very romantic sitting by the sand and watching the surf beat the beach underneath a moonlight sky.

• Stayed July 2012, travelled as a couple
5 Thank RVD408
Dear Guest,

We cannot thank you enough for your gracious review of the Iberostar Cancun knowing that you and your wife had the opportunity to relax and create wonderful memories.
It is certainly a pleasure to hear that our staff, amenities and restaurants have helped toward an enjoyable stay. We are thrilled to hear that you have had a romantic dinner at our restaurant by the beach.
We are confident that you will be staying again at our hotel.