“Wonderful base for exploring Cancun” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of The Ritz-Carlton, Cancun

The Ritz-Carlton, Cancun
Ranked #5 of 181 Hotels in Cancun
Poughkeepsie, New York
“Wonderful base for exploring Cancun”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 August 2012

This was my first visit to Cancun and the hotel was a wonderful experience. We especially appreciated the service from the porters to the front desk, to the waiters at breakfast. The Staff of the Ritz goes above and beyond. The room was wonderful and the bathroom very modern and equipped with all necessary amenities. The location is very convenient to the harbor and shopping nearby. We will definitely stay there again.

• Stayed October 2011, travelled as a couple
1 Thank 10011Trvlr
Turn Your Opinions into Points!
Turn your opinions into JPMiles
Turn your opinions into PAYBACK Points
*You can enroll in only one programme at a time to earn rewards for reviews.
JPMiles / Payback Arrow
JPMiles / PAYBACK

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (483)
  • Korean first
San Diego, Ca
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 August 2012

I was between the new Riu and Ritz... I am so glad I chose the Ritz.

First off, let me say I surprised the wife for our anniversary, She did not know where we were going until we boarded the plane in Tijuana (half the price than San Diego). I am a bit OCD when it comes to planning trips, so there was some stress in planning the PERFECT trip. I made sure to contact the Concierge once I was sure about the choice in hotels. He was great! I specifically requested restaurant recommendations, and gave me a good list with descriptions about restaurant and menus. I made my choices and let him make the reservations for me, of which I will touch on, but detail them in separate reviews. (Use the Concierge for reservations, it’s worth it)

During our ride to the hotel I was a little fearful with the amount of hotels and their size.

The Ritz is on a side street on the main road and has condos between the road and hotel. Upon arrival to hotel we were greeted by the doormen, and checking in was a breeze. The person bringing up our luggage was great, he gave us short but key info about the property. The welcome drinks were amazing.
The room was very clean, bed was outstanding, but once we got in we saw that the hotel left us Chocolate dipped strawberries (a favorite of the wife) with a card thanking us for choosing them for our anniversary. Great Start! Then we opened the sliding doors to the balcony and were amazed at the view. Bear in Mind, all their rooms face the ocean, and have balconies. (no rooms face street or lagoon) We were on 5th floor, and I don’t think there is a bad room/view/floor.

We used the hotels taxi 2-3 times… but it was nice having a employee drive us to locations when needed (other times I had pre-arranged transportation)

Some quick notes:
Breakfast onsite is buffet with a lot of options (plus cook to order omlette and waffle stations) and is well worth the price (about $25/pp) We did this each day. We experienced the larger pool on the Northern end of the hotel, and it was perfect.
Housekeepers Look you in the eyes and always say hello. Maid service plus turndown service each day keeps the room super clean.
Casitas for dinner is a must to try (see separate review) the view and food amazing (barring we had a power outage in all the hotels in Cancun that night, but they fixed the bill)
Across the street is a small market for sodas, cigarettes etc, there is a ATM outside but I felt safer walking a hotel away to the Santander ATM. Check into the seaturtle program, or just hang around the beach late at night, we had a few surprise us and lay some eggs... what a great experience.

Downside: We would video chat each night with the kids back home, but WiFi throughout the hotel is horrible so doing so at night in the business center was inconvenient, and wifi only marginally good there. To be fair, I brought this up to the front desk, and at check out they credited me a difference.

Location was perfect, beach was pristine, employees go out of their way to help. When they say Ritzy, don’t just think of the fine art and marble, think of how you well you will be treated.

Room Tip: OceanFront rooms look directly to ocean, whereas OceanView rooms you have to turn your head. All ro...
  • Stayed July 2012, travelled as a couple
3 Thank DNapieralski
caliasia
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 14 August 2012

this is not a first class hotel but rather a tawdry exercise in accounting:

minimize capital expenditures
this is a very old property with crt television sets, metal keys and furnishings that needn't imitate those of a previous century, they are already from one.

maximize revenues from captive audience
even by the standards of a corporate hotel the relentless and petty upselling here is shocking. after spending several hundred dollars on a room you can expect things like
a $20 charge for (slow) internet - per day, per device
$10 extra per day for a small beach umbrella (considering the cancun sun this one probably violates the geneva convention)
a room reminiscent of the salinas administration, filled with advertising for stores and extended services. an example from the bedside tv channel guide: looking for hbo? no, instead buy a year old old movie - but how about an extensive list of "tv snacks" like nachos for $13 plus $5 service charge plus gratuity?

service
with the exception of the outstanding maid service, employees here are forced into the role of salesmen or defenders, they seem to find the ritz carlton experience as demoralizing as the guests. the short sighted greed so intrinsic to the management here manifests in a false pride and tip-hunger rather than the delight in service that one enjoys at a genuine luxury hotel.

scale
how many chairs can you crowd around a pool? how long can a hallway run? the bean counters here have answered these questions and more. one is left with a lingering one however: why would anyone stay here?

• Stayed August 2012, travelled with family
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
9 Thank fredbuddemeyer
Chicago
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 August 2012

I have to admit - the drive to the Ritz Carlton Cancun from the airport was a bit jarring. I didn't have any grand delusions of Cancun as a place of subtle character, but the strip of hotel after hotel after hotel left me wishing I had gone to a quieter little Caribbean island instead. At first.

And then I walked into the Ritz and everything was perfect in a very old-school classic luxury type of way. Our room overlooked one of the two pools, and our little blue-tile balcony was the perfect place to relax and look out at the ocean. And say what you may about Cancun, the ocean is beautiful - clear turquoise water with just the right amount of surf and sand that is both cool and soft. Although the beach is technically public, it had the feeling of a private beach. A few times, we were approached by vendors walking by, but it was nothing obtrusive. A simple "no, gracias" will do the trick.

While you're at the beach, the staff will set up your chair for your with towels. We ordered chips with guacamole and salsa and margaritas. Fantastic. Could there be a more perfect lunch? Later in the day, we tried out the pools. I thought the water was the perfect temperature - a bit warm from the sun, but very comfortable. The hot tub is nice, too.

The common areas and rooms are very traditional. While I generally prefer furniture and decor that is more sleek and modern, everything was very upscale and in good shape. Comfortable beds, quiet air conditioner, quality toiletries, good shower. My one pet peeve is that the wireless access is very expensive ($20/day, $10/12 hours). However, there is a business center that is free of charge for the first 15 minutes.

One thing about this resort being 'classic' - the keys are old style actual keys. I'm not sure what the charge is for replacing them if lost - but I'm accustomed to key cards and not paying that much attention to where I put them, so finding an errant key caused some last-minute pre-check-out anxiety.

A few extra notes - there are several restaurants to walk to if you take a right on the main street outside of the hotel. We tried Cenacola Mare - beautiful restaurant on the water with homemade pastas. There's also a very upscale shopping mall if you continue down that road. We booked Cancun Cabs for our transportation to/from the hotel - $50 round trip for a private van.

Overall, fantastic hotel, great area and beautiful beach. I'd stay there again in a heartbeat.

• Stayed August 2012, travelled as a couple
3 Thank Sunny77777
sarasota
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 August 2012 via mobile

Im so happy I spent my birthday here with my twin sister, we stayed on conceirge level and the food was awesome and UN limited drinks!!! So happy we stayed here. They treated us like family:) I stayed at aqua the year beforw and had the worst service so was hesitant to come back to Cancun.

• Stayed May 2012