“Cantastic!!”

Hotel Dos Playas Beach House
Ranked #62 of 177 Hotels in Cancun
Reviewed 24 April 2012 via mobile

Had a fab time staying here...the resort was great. Rooms clean and staff very friendly and helpful. Angel and Ivan particularly were so welcoming and entertainment during the day was fab from them with lots of music and activities. At night time they took us out to different clubs and were super hosts!! The two of them really made the holiday a fantastic trip!!

We wil definetaly be back!! Thanks for a fab time!!

• Stayed: April 2012
6  Thank Lizerty_glasgow

Reviewed 19 April 2012

Spent a week in Dos playa hotel, (April 2012) i was very impressed with the service overall. The staff were very friendly and nothing was too much for them to do. The room was clean and comfortable. So i would like to name some of the staff that offered a good service. Raymundo, Sergio (the big boss in reception) Jorge, Gariel and not forgetting Ileana who really gave us star treatment. Francisca who cleaned our room real well. All the kitchen staff Alfreda who made us nice Pina Calado every day with lots of laughter, and Armando who worked real hard clearing the tables. Not forgetting Abram, Francisco, Osbeli Ramos, Victoria, Cesar, Enirique, Jamie, Freddy, Diego, Victor, Frank and Lizandra who cooked Delicious food every day . Hope i haven't forgotten anyone, if i have sorry but you were all very nice. From the two Marina's.

• Stayed: April 2012, travelled with friends
3  Thank lorraine22
Reviewed 17 April 2012

I must say that I was not expecting much when I booked this resort, because of some of the review but what I found when I got there was truly amazing. had the best vacation and the most fun of any vacation I have ever gone on. I am not new to travelling I go away every year and this was my 7th trip in the past year.
My friend and I travelled alone to this resort, the reception area was very plain but the staff were amazing, We were given a ground floor room overlooking the gardens and pool, it was a large room always kept very clean, new towels and sheets daily and the towels were made into swans or crabs or some other sea creature it was awesome to see. the food was good and the thai restaurant awesome. the best part were the entertainment staff Ivan and Angel were awesome they kept us moving during the day and arranged our nightly excursions into the nightclubs These gentlemen are awesome at what they do, and that is keep the guests happy. The bartender Alfredo kept our drinks coming and knew what we wanted and would have it ready with a smile.
For me this was the most fun I have had on a vacation mostly due in part to the wonderful staff at this resort, and the company of a good friend. We met many new friends too, and I will definitely go back. By the way I normally do 5 or 6 star resorts only but I honestly had more fun at this more relaxed resort than I have had anywhere else, and there have been many places visited..
Thanks to all of you at Dos Playas - Well Done

• Stayed: March 2012, travelled with friends
2  Thank cindybezaire
Reviewed 12 April 2012

My family have recently got back after spending a week at Dos Playas. When we first arrived, we were rather disappointed by the reception area - not at all what we expected, especially as we had passed some fantastic looking hotels on the way from the airport. We were shown to the three rooms we'd booked. My husband and I had a room with an exceptionally large bed (which was actually very comfortable) although the rest of the furniture did rather let the room down as it was all painted dark brown. My son and brother had the room above ours in which there were squeezed two beds, but as they didn't intend on staying in there much they weren't particularly bothered! My mum and daughter were on the floor above (I'm sure I'd asked for ground floor for mum as she has difficulty with stairs after having a replacement hip & knee in recent years)...... I went up to their room and looked at it in stunned silence. I really couldn't believe it. There were 3 beds in a very spacious room, just with sheets & blankets on (none of which matched), no bed spreads, no pictures on the walls, no colour or comfort in that room whatsoever. There was a low coffee table and two rough looking chairs all painted brown. The shower and toilet were in one room and the washbasin in another (what a strange layout!). They had no wardrobe and no drawers either although we did find a rail with 5 coat hangers on it! I'll give mum her due - she didn't complain to me..... I think she just couldn't form the sentence! I went down to reception to ask for mum to be moved to a ground floor room if at all possible. And this is where my whole perception of the hotel changed.....

The staff in reception changed mum's room to ground floor immediately and without fuss. They asked if I'd like to go and look at it before accepting it, which I did - it was so much better than the first room! So we moved all the cases etc down to that room. There were a few little things that mum needed - a plug for the sink, an outside chair and an ashtray. We also had to ask for our air conditioning unit to be looked at as we couldn't alter the temperature which kept rising! That was dealt with within half an hour.

We had been at the hotel for a couple of days when I became very ill and realised I needed to see a doctor. I asked in reception for help and they phoned through to a local English speaking doctor who came out in just over half an hour. Unfortunately I had to be admitted to hospital for an emergency operation, so the reception staff arranged for a taxi to take me there. I was in hospital for 4 days, during which time all of the reception staff and tour representatives in the reception area asked my family daily about how I was and if there was anything any of them could do. The same happened in the restaurant too. On the evening I was admitted to hospital, my husband got back to the hotel restaurant just after it had technically closed but as they knew what had happened, they arranged a meal for him without any fuss.

When I was eventually discharged from hospital, as I was driven back through the security gate in the taxi, even the security guard welcomed me back! As did everyone in reception and in the restaurant! They all seemed genuinely pleased that I was back! I found out afterwards that the hotel had made provisional plans for my husband to stay on if need be if I was unable to fly home.

The day I was discharged was the last day of our holiday, and my husband and brother had been out on what they described as one of the best fishing trips they'd ever been on! They brought some of their catch back to the hotel restaurant and the chef prepared and absolutely delicious meal especially for us using the fish. What was lovely was that they didn't even charge for doing this! Although I didn't eat in the restaurant very much, my family did and they all said how much they had enjoyed trying different foods. They did say that you have to watch some of the sauces and dips as they can be rather hot!

So, my overall impression of Dos Playas is that the room decor badly lets down what has the potential to be a great hotel. The rooms are spotlessly clean, as are all the communal areas. The gardens and both pool areas are very well maintained too. The staff are exceptional - what a great group of people. They are an absolute credit to the place. The beach was good fun - it's where the local Mexican's hang out, so it's fairly lively. The jetty for the ferry to Isla Mujeres is just a few feet along the beach which is really handy too. We are seriously considering going back next year so that I can get to do the things I missed this time, and I think we would most probably stay at this hotel again. Next time we'd go all inclusive too as that looked to be pretty good value for money.

Room Tip: Ground floor rooms all looked reasonable.
  • Stayed: April 2012, travelled with family
3  Thank Shamlay
Jose Maria P, Director of Sales at Hotel Dos Playas Beach House, responded to this reviewResponded 28 April 2012

Hello Shamlay,

We really appreciate your comments and we are happy to read that you were satisfied with our team. We are currently redecorating some rooms with a fresh mediterranean look and improve our facilities based in comments from valued guests like you
I hope you can give us another chance to be your host in Cancun...next time, call us directly and get preferential rates for you and your family.
Cheers

Reviewed 10 April 2012

Two women travelling on their own to Mexico. We stayed 7 nights at Dos Playas. Our room was clean and tidy always. The food was good and we enjoyed the Thai restaurant, one of the hidden secrets of the resort. Everyday we stayed extremely busy around the pool - Ivan and Angel did not let us sit for long. Ivan arranged our nights out to the clubs and ensured we got there and then knew how to get back to the hotel safely. We made many friends and without the staff encouraging activities many people would not do that.

The bus service and the Catamaran being so close is a plus. Alfredo makes an excellent bahama mamma of which we consumed many.

We can not say thank you enough times for the excellant service we received.

• Stayed: March 2012, travelled with friends