All reviewssanto domingogreat locationdesklobbyshower
Reviewed 6 November 2016

I spent a week in Hotel Maela and could not have been happier. The location is perfect - within a block of the Santo Domingo church, botanical gardens, and cultural center, as well as several restaurants from fine dining to more basic fare, cafes (try Cafe Cuiles about two blocks away), shops selling handcrafts, and more. Right next door (in the same building) there's a nice little breakfast/lunch restaurant (Lula') an upscale tapas bar across the street. I discovered a little grocery store (Pitico) about a block and a half away on Reforma and Humbolt with the basics.

The rooms have nice, simple furnishings and are super clean. My room (#205) had a good-sized closet and was next to an open-air terrace. The shower offered steaming hot water (let it run a while - hot is the bottom knob) and the room featured a flat-screen TV with a good assortment of channels (Spanish-language ... it's Mexico, after all) and decent wifi. The lobby also has a computer for guests. Oaxaca has so much to offer - whether you're into ancient ruins, artisan crafts, mescal, cultural traditions, museums, music, strolling among colonial architecture, or just people watching - so there's little reason to stay in the room; however, Maela was a nice spot to come "home" to every evening.

But what really makes the difference is the customer service. Miriam was super kind. She not only made reservations for tours I requested, but she also called to confirm their arrival to make sure I was never disappointed. When I left, the daytime staff offered to help me with my luggage (no elevator) and were always polite and friendly. Next time I visit Oaxaca, there's no doubt that Hotel Maela will be my first choice.

Room Tip: Room 205 was perfect for a single traveler.
  • Stayed: November 2016, travelled solo
1  Thank Juneaupup
Reviewed 10 February 2016

My husband and I just spent 2 wks at Hotel Maela. This pleasant and inviting hotel was in one of the nicest areas of town with a secure parking lot. We stayed in one of their 'regular' rooms for approx. $770.00 mex pesos per night. Compared to other hotels in this location, the price was excellent value. Clean, comfortable, quiet, fairly spacious room. Toilet and shower separate from sink was convenient. Water pressure fine and we always had hot water. Staff were lovely and cooperative. And worthy of mention is the great little restaurant attached to the hotel called the Lulah Restaurant. It has a menu dia several days each week for 45 pesos per person with excellent food which we enjoyed several times during our visit.
Best deal in town.

• Stayed: February 2016, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Carol P
Reviewed 2 February 2016

Walking into the hotel we were very happy with how attractive it was. The room was also very clean and inviting. Then it happened, we laid down on the bed and it was made of rock. I don't know where they got the sheets but I have never felt more stiff and uncomfortable sheets. And for the coup d'etat the pillows were rock hard and huge.
It was just about impossible to sleep and I can fall asleep almost standing up! Sorry to say no to this hotel as it is so pretty and the staff Is excellent.

Stayed: January 2016
1  Thank kclud
Reviewed 31 May 2015

We love the Maela! It has everything: reasonable price, secure parking, lovely customer service, and superb location. The rooms are not lavish but entirely adequate. Some are smallish, so ask for a large room.

You can’t beat the location! You are a short, beautiful walk to Marco Polo, the best breakfast in town by far. You are one long block from the #1 don’t miss attraction in Oaxaca: the Santo Domingo church, convent, and fascinating Cultural Museum with the all-important exhibit of the contents of “Tomb Seven.” You are a half block from the historic botanical gardens. You can walk over to find out when the English language tours take place. (Highly recommended.)

It seems every time we look up a shop or restaurant or museum on Trip Advisor, it turns our to be around the corner or a very few blocks. And the main prize is that the walk down any of the nearby streets: Reforma, 5 de Mayo, or the glorious Andador (pedestrian street) toward the Zocolo is exactly what Oaxaca is all about. You’ll pass all manner of shops, galleries, and restaurants and drink in the beautiful wide streets, glorious historic buildings, and the vibe of people relaxing and doing the same thing. Santo Domingo plaza and The Andador at dusk has to be one of the most romantically beautiful places on earth. It’s the Paris of Mexico, and you are two short blocks from the plaza and the walk. – We make an annual trip to Oaxaca, and the Maela is the only place we’d consider staying.

Room Tip: Ask for a large room with two bedside tables. You don't need to take a room with the bed against the wall.
  • Stayed: May 2015, travelled as a couple
1  Thank susanvpage
Reviewed 24 March 2014

A teacher friend and I went to Oaxaca with a group of university students, who were staying across the street. We wanted something more economical and larger, and the Maela fit the bill well. We were pleased with the room. It was nothing fancy, but was large, we each got a big bed, and everything was very clean. The shower was separated from the sink area in the bathroom, so two people could be getting ready at the same time, also. There was a lovely breeze at night, even though the days were hot outside the room, and with several windows in the room, we got good air circulation. (Inside was pleasant during the day. But who stays inside when you can see Oaxaca City?) It is a fair walk into the main part of town, so is not as convenient as places by the Zocalo but much quieter and more economical. Plus, the area near the hotel is nice, too. The staff was very accommodating, as my friend got the flu and could not travel for a few hours after check-out; but they let her stay on till she could travel later in the day, without charging her more. I would definitely stay there again.

Room Tip: If you want a big room, try the top floor. We had a huge room with two large beds, a kitchen area, and a balcony area with a lovely view of parts of Oaxaca. It was plain but comfortable. I don't recommend it for people who can't walk much because there are stairs to climb, though.
  • Stayed: April 2013, travelled with friends