All reviews santo domingo city at night various levels busy street the open air restaurant rooftop terrace bottom floor few blocks oaxaca city prices are very reasonable small bathroom on site restaurant pay cash beautiful hotel central courtyard comfortable rooms mexico
Reviewed 28 January 2018

We rented the room with 2 double beds for 5 nights and upon arrival immediately requested to be moved to a quieter room as we discovered that the property is located on a major transit route into the downtown area—it’s noisy and with lots of auto exhaust. The friendly front desk staff were very helpful and moved us to a quieter room with 2 double beds on the bottom floor furthest from the traffic (for those with mobility challenges be forewarned that there are many flights of stairs to this level). Unfortunately this quieter room had plumbing problems and we had to keep the bathroom door closed at all times as the stink was putrid. By the time we discovered this problem after walking about the town for several hours on our arrival day all the other rooms were taken.

The beds were exceptionally firm and uncomfortable to us.

Upon departing we peaked into several vacant rooms with door open awaiting cleaning to discover that they all had exceptionally small bathrooms like ours making it very difficult to even close the door to access the toilet. In our room the wall in front of the toilet was so close that I had to be very careful to not hit my head on the wall as I accessed the toilet (worth noting that I am average height and on the slim side). I can't imagine what a taller or bigger might do.

It is worth noting that the breakfast on a patio overlooking the neighbouring area was very pleasant and offered excellent coffee and consistently good food. The service was mixed however and it was disappointing to later discover that the grouchy young waiter serving us was also the person cleaning our room. Made us both feel a little uncomfortable.

The property location is within easy walking distance to ample restaurants, local markets, and museums.

Overall, this property offers great value but at a cost. We would not return to this hotel BUT we loved Oaxaca and Hotel CasAntica a few blocks away, where we also stay on this travel adventure.

Room Tip: Rooms on the middle level are best and check smell in the bathroom before paying.
  • Stayed: November 2017, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 23 January 2018

This has been my second time staying at this hotel. I came upon it last year trying to find an economic option while staying in Oaxaca. I loved it the first time that when I happened to be back in Oaxaca, I had to book it again. The owners and staff are very nice and accommodating. My girlfriend and I stayed in one of the lower rooms which was like a cozy cave. My first time I had a small balcony. Each room has it's charms. Though if you are looking for chic and modern, you'll have to look elsewhere. The location is great. It is a quiet part of town. I can't speak to some of the recent reviews of loud noise and nightclubs; we had a quiet and restful stay. The roof has a beautiful view of Santo Domingo and the rest of the city. I would recommend to this hotel to all staying in Oaxaca.

• Stayed: January 2018, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 19 November 2017

The rooms are nice and the location is good but the hotel is unfortunately next to a nightclub that plays really loud music all night. It's impossible to get a good night's sleep here recommend finding another place.

Room Tip: All the rooms have noise problems
  • Stayed: November 2017, travelled as a couple
3  Thank Theresa W
Reviewed 29 October 2017

Well located, clean, quiet. The management was attentive as was the staff that manned the open air restaurant during the day. If you stay here you should not overlook the 'other restaurant that is located in the building and is open in the evening.

• Stayed: October 2017, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 23 September 2017

The rooms are small and well maintained, cosy rather than cramped. We enjoyed both the sense of being in a heritage building and the care taken to ensure we were comfortable. Breakfast is great and the views from the terrace are beautiful. It isn't suited to people with mobility issues though.

• Stayed: October 2016, travelled with family