All reviews great hotel two blocks walking distance sweet bread will stay there again corner room front desk personnel mexican charm inside room loved our stay yogurt no elevator hot chocolate perfect location hotel is located central patio quiet room
Reviewed 28 August 2018

It you are looking for an authentic Oaxacan hotel, this is the perfect one. First off, it is located in the Historic Center, one block from the Zocalo so getting around is a breeze. The hotel staff are warm and friendly like the lovely people of Oaxaca. The colors, as seen in the photo, are typical of Mexico. The rooms are large and spacious. If you are noise sensitive, ask for an inside room. Personally, I like outside hearing life outside. Buy the breakfast, it is such a deal. Every morning offers a variety of rolls, sweet breads, fruits, yogurt, beverages/coffee, and hot entrees of beans, meats, and eggs. When I return to glorious Oaxaca, I am definitely staying here again.

2  Thank Kate T
Raul V, Gerente at Hotel Casona Oaxaca, responded to this reviewResponded 30 August 2018

Dear Kate,
We really apreciate your valuable comments about us, and hope to see you again in a near future, Casona Oaxaca is always your home.

Reviewed 25 August 2018

This hotel is in a perfect location just two blocks away from the plaza, outdoor markets, and a short walk from the Zocalo and local museums. The staff is exceptional and will work very hard to accommodate you which includes booking tours and providing travel guides. The breakfast and cocktails are great and there are wonderful dinner spots nearby.

I would personally pass on the group tours and recommend booking your own personal taxi which concierge will gladly book for you. The archeological sites are not very far and the company the hotel uses has uncomfortable vans and poor customer service. It was a minor glitch in an otherwise exceptional hotel stay!

Room tip: The king size rooms are quieter, best A/C, and more comfortable shower/bathroom combo than the budget suite (no sewage smell).
  • Trip type: Travelled as a couple
1  Thank Michelle R
Reviewed 15 August 2018

I loved this hotel! It was very clean and in a fantastic location right off the Zocolo. The building itself is gorgeous and the staff is very helpful. You get a free welcome drink the night you arrive and a small Oaxacan chocolate each day after the maid cleans your room. Breakfast was good but if you aren't looking for a buffet you can find cheaper pastries elsewhere. The only complaint I have is that the hotel is VERY dark at night on the second floor. It's a little spooky walking back to your room.

• Trip type: Travelled with friends
Raul V, Gerente at Hotel Casona Oaxaca, responded to this reviewResponded 29 October 2018

We aprecciate your shared feedback, we already take care about your complaint.

Hoping to see you again.

Reviewed 19 July 2018 via mobile

Our travelagency booked at this hotel. We received a room for one person. The room is very small and also the bed. My husband is 1.86 m. and we hardly fit both in the bed. The room had no window and no safe. It felt like a prison cell.
When we complained and also complained at our travelagency we had to wait till the next day and received another room. It was still a 1 persons bedroom and very small,but it was renovated and had a safe. We accepted it, but still were not happy. We checked several booking sites and all offered this room for 1 person.

Date of stay: July 2018
Trip type: Travelled as a couple
Reviewed 27 June 2018

Wonderful experience, Francisco, Lupita and the night person who also speaks English were excellent. Should I return to Oaxaca I will stay there again. No surpises here it was as described by other reviewers.

Room tip: I had a room facing the main entrance to hotel, I'm sure I could have changed rooms if asked.
Date of stay: June 2018