“A little out of way”

La Teca Restaurant
Ranked #27 of 543 Restaurants in Oaxaca
Cuisines: Mexican
Dining options: Breakfast, After-hours, Reservations
Description: Traditional food from the Isthmus of Tehuantepec, all made when you order, all delicious. A garden area available when it's not too chilly or rainy. Wonderful art, and great service.
Reviewed 2 March 2018

My husband and I tried this restaurant based upon the reviews. It just was not one of our favorites. It was a bit of a cab ride from Oaxaca city center to get there and it is in an old house but the food just did not "wow" us. My husband had a pork dish that was bathed in mole just a little too much. We sampled a couple of tamales which were good but not enough to drive outside the city for.

Reviewed 10 February 2018

This restaurant is small (3 -4 tables only) but the food it serves is excellent. It seems to be catering to locals not the tourists. However, the food is very good and authentic. Price is also very reasonable.

Reviewed 9 January 2018

More than a restaurant, this place is La Teca's very own house and you get to eat from the dishes she prepares in her kitchen. Seating in the outdoor patio is highly recommended, and you will be better off when getting the degustation menu. You will be served approximately 8-10 dishes, in small portions (but you can always ask for more of any dish brought to you), including moles, tamales, tacos and much more with all types of flavors, textures and colors. You just sit down and let Teca lead you through a wonderful meal. You won't be dissappointed! Call in advance for large groups or busy weekends.

Reviewed 28 December 2017

La Teca was recommenced to us by Reyna Mendoza, who has the cooking school El Sabor Zapoteca in Teotitlan del Valle. Reyna guided us well! A ways away from the historic center of Oaxaca, you may need a cab to get here. But it's worth it! we had the tasting menu for about 17 dollars. There were more courses than I can remember, but I do remember they were all good. La Teca advertises itself as food from the isthmus, which is a little south of Oaxaca, but they had some nice moles. I wish I could remember everything we had, but right now I can't. But I can remember they were all very tasty. The service was excellent, too!

Reviewed 13 July 2017

Surprisingly good food ... after arriving at itanoni at their closing time, a local recommended we try la teca. We could yelp to b unhelpful so we decided to take a chance. The server recommended a Plato which we tried ... as assortment of of stuff .. including chicken & we also ordered a tamale ! We were sold ... neighbor grungy place that is well worth the try ! Love the Oaxaca tamales ...