“Spanish Food”

Cuisines: Spanish
Dining options: Reservations
Dining options: Reservations
Reviewed 1 September 2012

Authentic Spanish cuisine. Excellent spanish omelettes and meat dishes. Always had good service. Friendly family run restaurant.

2  Thank Rico C
Turn Your Opinions into Points!
Turn your opinions into JPMiles
Turn your opinions into PAYBACK Points
*You can enroll in only one programme at a time to earn rewards for reviews.

Reviewed 24 August 2012

Fundamentally an above average Spanish restaurant with ambitious prices and small portions. Also felt a strange kind of pomposity pervading the place. First time I had felt that or left a restaurant feeling hungry in 7 months in Mexico. Fine if you want a change from Mexican but wouldn't make a special effort to go there again.

1  Thank GavinMex
Reviewed 19 August 2012

I had read really good things about this restaurant but I found it to be lacking. Our waiter must have been new because he struggled with everything. There was a woman who took over from him who was very knowledgeable, but the restaurant missed for me. The wine, albeit not inexpensive and recommended, was very disappointing. The food was OK. I would not return.

1  Thank aguak
Reviewed 2 July 2012

We stumbled upon Meson del Olivo purely by accident and decided to give it a try. The menu is a mix of Spanish and Oaxacan-inspired dishes. Our waiter did very well to describe the dishes that we were not familiar with. We ordered two of the fish dishes which turned out to be very good choices. The pescado al ajillo, although a bit on the salty side, was still delicious and a plate that I would order again. Even tastier was the negrillo con cilantro. The cilantro sauce that was served over the fish was absolutley delicious. Served with potatoes, local mushrooms, and rice, this was a meal anyone would be satisfied with. The chef/owner Olivo came to our table to see if we were satisfied with our dinners. He expained how the negrillo was a new dish on his menu and one that he added particular chilis to to put it into the category of the Oaxacan-inspired dishes. I believe he was very successful in his attempt to do so. The evening ended with another chat with Olivo and a description of his various ham and pork preparations. Most dishes on the menu were reasonably priced at around $200 MEX. From what I could see at the other tables, there are many more tasty dishes to try on future visits to the restaurant. From food quality to service, we were very pleased with our experience at the Mason del Olivo. As the dishes are prepared to order, plan to take your time over some beer or wine and good company while you wait for food prepared especially for you. I believe that you'll find the wait worthwhile.

Reviewed 25 April 2012

I haven't eaten here but I've been several times in the evening--it's a great place to have a drink. They have a nice outdoor patio and many different types of beef, which is hard to find among the masses of Sol, Indio and Bohemia. They also have many different types of wine and mixed drinks. The tapas are expensive but pretty good; they're all slices of bread with some sort of topping like meat, cheese, or vegetables on top. The service is always very good and some of the servers also speak English. Also a good place to come on St. Patty's Day-- they have a live "Irish" bank and promotions on Guiness :) They do take reservations, and you can even reserve the patio!