All reviews former convent exterior room beautiful hotel pool area breakfast buffet historic building mini bar small window rooms are small facing the street great pool local dishes no elevator location is excellent bottled water botanical gardens the ground floor
Reviewed 28 April 2018

I stayed here with a group of friends in March and had a fantastic time.

The building is stunning and deceptively big... You can literally get lost in there. Stunning gardens and pool area that is a great place to relax after walking around the town.

Excellent staff and a good selection of food and drink. When we go back to Oaxaca, we will definitely stay here.

Stayed: March 2018
1  Thank Jimplis
Reviewed 23 April 2018

The hotel is a former convent and the facilities are beautiful. Staff is VERY attentive, service is excellent, the food is very good. The location is almost unbeatable for all Oaxaca City attractions. Unfortunately, the rooms are NOT worth the price. I understand that there are architectual limitations because of its history. However, nothing has really been done to compensate. The rooms are dark because of their history and haven't changed since. Our room hat a ceiling lamp and a sconce.. and one table lamp behind the beds.. for two people.. reading lamp? bedside lamp for each guest? No. Apart from two twin beds and a tired old cheap armoire (and the console for the minibar) there was no furniture. Not a desk, not a chair. The closet offered some space and housed a 25 year old cube RCA TV (15 years after the introduction of flat screens) with terrible reception to keep up with the daily news. The doors didn't open fully so one of the guests gets to see partial TV. For the price asked, the rooms offered zero reasons to stay and linger.. at least our room. But you do get a gold sticker on the toilet paper roll...

• Stayed: April 2018, travelled with family
1  Thank Peter E
Reviewed 17 April 2018

I stayed at Quinta Real Oaxaca for three nights. The property is beautiful with a great location at the center of Oaxaca, steps away from the cathedral. The only food I had in the hotel was room service at breakfast and no complaints there.

I was attending a wedding and the hotel was completely booked. The only room available was an interior master suite, which I booked. Because the hotel was an ex-convent, the rooms are all different, and the website does not provide a lot of information about the rooms. When I did my check in, I was pleased until I saw my room. There was no way that room could be a master suite because it was so small the furniture barely fit. The tv was old, and I couldn't find channels that had a clear image.I know it is an old hotel, and that it is important to maintain the look and feel, but the room gave me the impression of just a lack of care and seemed old, not classic. I went to the reception to tell them they gave me a regular room, not the master suite I booked and pay for. The guy got somewhat nervous and said to me that my room was a master suite. Next day, I ordered room service and asked the server what category of room was the one I was staying in? He responded that it was a regular interior room. I ask him that what was the difference with a master suite? He replied the master suite is bigger and has a different distribution than my room. With this, I confirmed my theory that the hotel lied to me. After my stay, the hotel sent me a survey which I completed and sent to them. I wrote that I felt like they cheated me with my room and they never replied or try to contact me.

Checking out on Monday morning, there was a woman upset at the front desk attendant. There was a station of regular coffee at the lobby that I would expect it to be free for the guests of the hotel. The lobby attendant told the woman she needed to pay 2 dollars for the coffee she had on her hand. The woman said to the attendant if he had change for a 10 dollar bill. The attendant told the guest he had no change, and the woman had to give him the ten dollar bill, and to my surprice, the lobby attendant took it and kept the change! The woman told me it was the most expensive regular coffee of her life. I would expect more from a 5-star hotel.

See the photos of my room and judge by yourself.

• Stayed: December 2017, travelled with friends
1  Thank pelaeza
Reviewed 16 April 2018

I loved staying in my room. It was clean and beautiful and I felt safe. The hotel is interior is fascinating and I loved walked into the former chapel, as well as spending time admiring the fountain. And imagining the spaces as the former nunnery and former prison that they once were.

Stayed: October 2017
1  Thank 911hulahula
Reviewed 1 April 2018 via mobile

My husband and I visited Oaxaca in February to see his folks. We had an Airbnb for the first few days because it was Valentine’s Day week and all the good hotels were full. Luckily we were able to check into the Quinta Real after three nights. It was like finding nirvana! I love this place. It’s a former convent that’s been lovingly restored to the best hotel in Oaxaca. The room was large and comfortable and they always had plenty of bottled water for us. The service was impeccable and Oaxacans are the nicest people around. Our favorite part of our stay was the morning breakfast buffet especially the Sunday buffet. The food was varied and all so so delicious. Best part was the live music that accompanied each day of the buffet.

If you are planning a visit, make your reservations early as possible because rooms go fast. It’s by far the best hotel in town. Enjoy!

Stayed: February 2018, travelled as a couple