“One on one instruction - such a better approach!”

Spanish Immersion School
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: More than 3 hours
Owner description: The Spanish Immersion School is committed to teaching you Spanish — and to sharing with you the wonderful diversity of Oaxaca. We do this by holding classes in important cultural settings around the city as well as in our beautiful space, and by hosting students on amazing excursions to points of interest all around the valley. There are a couple of important differences between Spanish Immersion School and most other language centers in Oaxaca. The first is the patience and energy of our experienced teachers. We believe that regardless of how great our curriculum is, without the best teachers, our program would not be as successful in encouraging confidence and proficiency in Spanish language learners. Second, the combination of this excellent instruction with the quality of our specialized curriculum creates a unique and superior program. With these two factors, our program gets students feeling comfortable speaking from the very first class.
Reviewed 6 April 2018

I'm an intermediate Spanish speaker and have studied at a number of schools in the US, Guatemala, Spain and now in Mexico. This was the first time I had private classes, and I found it to so much better than a classroom setting! My teacher was Estefanía, who was a great teacher and a joy to spend time with. Everything was tailored to what I needed to work on and my interests. If I had chosen to we could have sat in the courtyard of the school every day, but instead we chose to go to cafes, museums, mercados and nearby towns. Even the type and amount of homework was tailored to my needs. Estefanía went above and beyond in all aspects, including setting up an intercambio so I could get additional practice in conversation over the weekend, advising me on day trips and finding a driver to pick my husband up at the airport. I studied for three weeks, but next time I plan to stay even longer.

One caveat is that one on one instruction means that you are less likely to meet other students at the school. Since I was by myself for most of the time I chose to do a homestay, and was glad I did. I had my own room and bathroom, but was able to get to know other students that were staying there too.

1  Thank Macomb58
"language skills"
"spent a week"
"different levels"

Reviewed 5 April 2018 via mobile

The one on one format of the classes is very helpful for advancing your Spanish. My teacher was great, and Prices are very reasonable too.

Reviewed 26 February 2018

We spent 1 week with the Spanish Immersion School. My husband, 5 year old daughter, and I are all at different levels of Spanish. The individual instruction was fantastic and the teachers were knowledgeable, friendly, and helpful. My daughter LOVED the classes and didn't want to leave. We did 5 different excursions outside of the city with the school and each was fantastic. We traveled with Lazaro (owner) or other guide who took us in a private vehicle, making it easy and relaxing. HIGHLY recommended :).

3  Thank Rebecca B
Reviewed 20 February 2018

Two months ago [December 2017] we spent several weeks in Oaxaca..I remember the morning when I opened my computer to begin planning our trip and feeling a bit daunted as to how to start..
And then I got on the phone with Lazaro :)..

From my first phone conversation with him, I could hear his genuinely helpful spirit and was totally confident that we had found the right school for our adventure in Oaxaca..
Lazaro was so helpful..so professional yet friendly..so patient with my questions [I am sure he has heard them all 1000 times but he never made me feel that way] ..and he knew just what we needed to feel confident with trip preparation..

THEN we got to Oaxaca!! and fell in love with this amazing city and the beautiful people who live there..I cannot say enough about this truly wonderful part of Mexico!

And the school and our talented teachers gave us the perfect structure to build our experience around..
Because of the top quality of the teachers and the 'one on one' system the school uses, we both accomplished just what we wanted ..
But beyond that, Lazaro and his staff helped us 'settle in' to a city that we hope to visit again and again..
We are heading back to Oaxaca in June and our excitement at returning is hugely influenced by the wonderful experience we had with the school, Lazaro and his very gifted and patient teachers..

See more reviews
Reviewed 19 February 2018 via mobile

I decided to travel to Oaxaca to attend a program for improving my very basic Spanish; what sold me on the Spanish Immersion School (before going) was the one-on-one individualized teaching method and all of the great reviews right here on this site! Am so glad that I read them (changed my initial plans as a result), and am even happier to have experienced first-hand being a student with the school. I hope to always be in touch and consider my trip there as one of the best traveling/learning experiences ever!

Lazaro has built a perfect program - with very talented experienced teachers, a central home base for students at Magdelena’s, excursions outside of the city, and occasional evening events bringing everyone together, all of which is done in a very warm, caring, and welcoming way.

My teachers Estefania and Reuben were beyond excellent: they majored in teaching Spanish and have a thorough grounding in grammar and in how to help students quickly make progress. I opted for 5 hours a day - as only could stay for a week - but even within that short time was able to get over a hump - (suddenly realized that I was beginning to speak in full sentences and understanding much more). Estefania and Reuben coordinated re our sessions, and kept a good balance between grammar and structure, and comprehension and conversation. Throughout, we had so much fun and talked about all sorts of things!

I also feel so lucky too to have stayed with Magdelena and Antonio. I loved my room and was made to feel so at home and well looked after. (Really enjoyed starting each day with breakfast chats around their table in the courtyard with other students as well.)

Since coming home, have been studying on my own and practicing as much as possible, all with a very fond connection to everyone involved with this very special school of Spanish...

Mariana
Brooklyn, NYC

Been to Spanish Immersion School? Share your experiences!

Turn Your Opinions into Points!
Turn your opinions into JPMiles
Turn your opinions into PAYBACK Points
*You can enroll in only one programme at a time to earn rewards for reviews.
JPMiles / PAYBACK