Open today: Closed
Review Highlights
Great introduction to Spanish

I spent a week in Oaxaca and took lessons 3 hours per day. I only knew a few words of Spanish when... read more

Reviewed 5 days ago
jnj182
Ojo Caliente, New Mexico
via mobile
Great place to learn Spanish, share and exchange

I had a great time learning Spanish, the community is great, the place really relax and quiet and I... read more

Reviewed 2 weeks ago
picoclub

All reviews three weeks class room felt instantly personal approach special family kind and patient teaching style individual lessons reuben magical week taking lessons delicious breakfast every morning home stay private bath these classes great teaching amazing city
Reviewed 5 April 2018 via mobile

The one on one format of the classes is very helpful for advancing your Spanish. My teacher was great, and Prices are very reasonable too.

Reviewed 26 February 2018

We spent 1 week with the Spanish Immersion School. My husband, 5 year old daughter, and I are all at different levels of Spanish. The individual instruction was fantastic and the teachers were knowledgeable, friendly, and helpful. My daughter LOVED the classes and didn't want to leave. We did 5 different excursions outside of the city with the school and each was fantastic. We traveled with Lazaro (owner) or other guide who took us in a private vehicle, making it easy and relaxing. HIGHLY recommended :).

3  Thank Rebecca B
Reviewed 20 February 2018

Two months ago [December 2017] we spent several weeks in Oaxaca..I remember the morning when I opened my computer to begin planning our trip and feeling a bit daunted as to how to start..
And then I got on the phone with Lazaro :)..

From my first phone conversation with him, I could hear his genuinely helpful spirit and was totally confident that we had found the right school for our adventure in Oaxaca..
Lazaro was so helpful..so professional yet friendly..so patient with my questions [I am sure he has heard them all 1000 times but he never made me feel that way] ..and he knew just what we needed to feel confident with trip preparation..

THEN we got to Oaxaca!! and fell in love with this amazing city and the beautiful people who live there..I cannot say enough about this truly wonderful part of Mexico!

And the school and our talented teachers gave us the perfect structure to build our experience around..
Because of the top quality of the teachers and the 'one on one' system the school uses, we both accomplished just what we wanted ..
But beyond that, Lazaro and his staff helped us 'settle in' to a city that we hope to visit again and again..
We are heading back to Oaxaca in June and our excitement at returning is hugely influenced by the wonderful experience we had with the school, Lazaro and his very gifted and patient teachers..

1  Thank Marilyn H
Reviewed 19 February 2018 via mobile

I decided to travel to Oaxaca to attend a program for improving my very basic Spanish; what sold me on the Spanish Immersion School (before going) was the one-on-one individualized teaching method and all of the great reviews right here on this site! Am so glad that I read them (changed my initial plans as a result), and am even happier to have experienced first-hand being a student with the school. I hope to always be in touch and consider my trip there as one of the best traveling/learning experiences ever!

Lazaro has built a perfect program - with very talented experienced teachers, a central home base for students at Magdelena’s, excursions outside of the city, and occasional evening events bringing everyone together, all of which is done in a very warm, caring, and welcoming way.

My teachers Estefania and Reuben were beyond excellent: they majored in teaching Spanish and have a thorough grounding in grammar and in how to help students quickly make progress. I opted for 5 hours a day - as only could stay for a week - but even within that short time was able to get over a hump - (suddenly realized that I was beginning to speak in full sentences and understanding much more). Estefania and Reuben coordinated re our sessions, and kept a good balance between grammar and structure, and comprehension and conversation. Throughout, we had so much fun and talked about all sorts of things!

I also feel so lucky too to have stayed with Magdelena and Antonio. I loved my room and was made to feel so at home and well looked after. (Really enjoyed starting each day with breakfast chats around their table in the courtyard with other students as well.)

Since coming home, have been studying on my own and practicing as much as possible, all with a very fond connection to everyone involved with this very special school of Spanish...

Mariana
Brooklyn, NYC

1  Thank Mariana D
Reviewed 15 February 2018

In January/February 2018 I spent 4 weeks studying with the Spanish Immersion School in Oaxaca. It was a wonderful experience from start to finish. It was easy making arrangements for my stay in Oaxaca. Lázaro, the school director, was very responsive to my emails and answered all my questions promptly. Since I preferred not to do a home stay, Lázaro found an apartment for me that was close to the school and in a great location for exploring the city. When I arrived, he picked me up personally at the airport. He also asked me several times a week if everything was OK at my apartment and whether I needed anything.

The school is very flexible in terms of scheduling, if you happen to prefer morning or afternoon classes. All the instruction is 1-1 and your instructor will meet with you wherever you prefer, at your homestay, at a café, or in one of the many beautiful libraries or courtyards that you will discover throughout the city. I chose to have three hours of instruction each morning, which worked well for me because I liked having my afternoons free to explore the city, do homework, and go to the gym. Other students did 5 or even 8 hours a day of instruction, and they seemed to be having good experiences as well. My instructor was Magaly, an endlessly patient and delightful young woman. Magaly was great about gearing our lessons to my abilities and preferences. When I got a little overwhelmed trying to get a handle on the imperfect and the preterite, we backed off for a while and reviewed reflexive verbs. Magaly did so much more than just teach me Spanish. For example, she helped me find an ATM that worked with my debit card, helped me buy a bus ticket to Puerto Escondido, and helped me make some hotel arrangements for the end of my stay. She also served as a local tour guide, taking me to different neighborhoods and showing me around Oaxaca.

The school also provides a variety of extracurricular activities, including cooking classes, art classes, and weekend excursions to local villages, artisan workshops, markets, and archaeological sites. Even if you are traveling solo (as I was), you’ll find it easy to meet people and find things to do through the school.