“Best food in town”

Maximo Bistrot Local
Reserve with OpenTable
Maximo Bistrot Local is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #100 of 5,767 Restaurants in Mexico City
Price range: US$ 310 - US$ 500
Cuisines: Mexican
Dining options: Breakfast, After-hours, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Dining
Neighbourhood: Roma
Cross street: Entre Guanajuato y Queretaro
Transit: Estamos a 2 cuadras de la estacion de Metrobus Alvaro Obregon.
Reviewed 22 September 2018 via mobile

The place is small and usually packed. The decor is simple to non-existent, which I’m sure is on purpose so you focus on the food.

The food is incredible. Everything is made from fresh ingredients and the menu tends to vary depending on what the chef was able to find that day in local markets. Even the flavored water (a Mexican custom) varies from day to day depending on the freshest fruits they found.

The bar is good. You can order a variety of cocktails and wine.

Service is great too. The servers are courteous and attentive but not too formal.

I took away one star because the kitchen closes at 11pm. The place is empty before then so it’s not a good place if you want dinner and drinks with friends. If what you’re looking for is a quick dinner, then there’s no better place.

Reviewed 17 September 2018

My friends and I (5 of us) had an amazing experience at Maximo Bistrot. Chef Lalo worked under Enrique Olvera, owner of world renowned Puyol. Maximo is right up there in one of the best restaurants in Mexico and Latin America and now making waves across the world.

We had a delicious 6-course dinner with a nice bottle of red wine. They have a great ceviche with octopus. Even my friends, who typically don't like octopus, loved this starter. You must try the rib-eye! All their fish dishes were to die for!

Service here was personable and professional.

Reviewed 12 September 2018 via mobile

My husband and I are in agreement the Maximo was our favorite dinner in Mexico City. The food far surpassed the meals we had at the much hyped top restaurants in the area. The prices were reasonable and the food was absolutely delicious! We will Definitely return and recommend to our friends and family. A must while eating out in the city!!

Reviewed 7 September 2018 via mobile

I highly recommend this restaurant. Like someone else posted, I have also been to Pujol and Quintonil and can definitely say that this restaurant is just as good and maybe even better because you don’t go in expecting to get blown away but are nicely surprised. The overall atmosphere was nice. We sat outside so do expect vendors to stop but don’t let this bother you and enjoy the experience. Lots of great flavorful choices on the menu. Pujol is a tasting menu and Quintonil has a limited a la carte section. Maximo Bistrot has a more expensive menu that allows to explore what you like most.

Reviewed 1 September 2018

Living in Mexico City, I had heard about Maximo Bistrot through many people. And probably all of them talked about how good the food was and how I just had to go. So it was with a very high expectation that I decided to go after a friend of mine from out of town invited me to dinner.

Suffice to say that it didn't meet my expectations.

Don't get me wrong, the food is excellent. The artichoke soup was creamy and smoky, and the thyme pannacota with strawberry rhubarb ice cream we had for dessert was probably one of the best things that I have ever had. But all of this good food goes to waste if the service is found lacking.

Let me explain.

When one goes to a restaurant as high class as this place (because a restaurant that charges their prices is high class), you expect a kind of service that goes with that price.
You expect for waiters to be attentive and forget you even exist because their rushing everywhere.
You expect them to change your cutlery after every tasting menu plate.
You expect them to put a spoon on the table before they actually serve you a soup course and not have to ask for one.
You expect them to not force you to order wine or a cocktail like every restaurant does.
You expect them to not take away a chair from your table without asking properly.
You expect them to hand you your check the first time you ask for it.
You expect them to serve women first (I'm probably old fashioned here, but I believe those rules exist for a reason).
You expect them to have a knife to spread butter with and not use the big one you use to cut the rest of your food with.
You expect many other things, but which would take too long to write in this review.

The faux pas that the service gets away in this restaurant is ridiculous for a place of its caliber.
They should be ashamed of themselves for offering service like this, because it makes a person, like me, sad because it wasn't as good as they thought it could be and angry that they paid so much money and not being served the way they should be.

I don't think I'll return, because even though the food was excellent, the frustration of having to ask for a spoon to eat or having to wait for a check makes you question if paying so much money is worth it.

1  Thank Cronosticus