“Good value”

Hostel Amigo Suites
Manchester, United Kingdom
“Good value”
Reviewed 22 March 2012

We stayed here at the beginning and end of our visit to Mexico and not many places live up to it. The staff are friendly, the breakfast and dinner, although simple (and nothing wrong with simple when you are travelling) were nice. We were in a double ensuite room which was comfortable, huge, and clean. The staff were incredibly helpful and helped arange a taxi in the early morning for us. The tour guide for the Market tor and Teoticucan is so cute and good at her job, I recommend those two tours, and dont forget to tip her!

One compliant... We had come in late in the evening from a very long journey from the UK (via Germany and the US!), we were exausted and just wanted a good night's sleep. We were on one of the top floors and around midnight really loud (awful) music started blaring from the terrace, echoing through the building. I couldnt sleep and thought I would give it til 1am to quiet down. A little after 1am, being jet-lagged, sleep-deprived and pretty cranky I went upstairs and asked the three people including the big chap who works there if they could turn it down a little out of respect for the guests trying to sleep. I asked politely and I didnt think it was an unreasonable request: this is not considered a "party hostel" and it almost 2am on a Sunday night, plus the sound travels in that building. They turned it down a little but by the time a got back to my room it was back up louder than ever. In the end I took some sleeping tablets and bought ear plugs the following day, although I didnt need them again until Mexican independence day which was the night before we flew out... fair enough. I also got asked to keep my voice down when I was using the computers once - I think the staff should all have the same approach to music/chatting in communal areas late at night.

• Stayed September 2011, travelled as a couple
Turn Your Opinions into Points!
Turn your opinions into JPMiles
Turn your opinions into PAYBACK Points
*You can enroll in only one programme at a time to earn rewards for reviews.
JPMiles / Payback Arrow
JPMiles / PAYBACK

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (23)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Czech first
  • Korean first
NZ
Reviewed 22 January 2012

This place is, like the other reviews say, a hybrid hostel/hotel. It's not doing either real well. I don't expect a lot from a hostel but the included breakfast and dinner was very average-the main problem is there isn't enough to go around-it's like the bare minimum. Better off spending a bit less and going somewhere where you get your own dinner/breakfast, I'd say-since there are so many good options for food in Mex city! The other bad thing was the beds-plastic wrapped mattresses that were sooooo hard I woke up with a sore back everyday. Also the bunk beds aren't secure so everytime the person on the other bunk moves, you get shaken about.

You could find somewhere much nicer and probably cheaper I'm sure.

On the bright side, location is good, it was clean and the staff were really friendly and helpful. The tour you pay for are good too-I did the wrestling and pyramids tours. The free walking tours weren't operating and I was annoyed they hadn't told me this when I emailed to make the reservation.

• Stayed January 2012
Oslo, Norway
Reviewed 15 January 2012

We stayed here for three nights. It is clean, nice rooms, great shower but hard beds! Great terrace! But... They offer free airport pick up, but nobody came. The number they gave us didnt work. When we got to the hostel the owner didnt apologize, he just gave us a look and blamed everything on us. Not very service minded! The price include breakfast and dinner, which sounds good. But the dinner is more like a light snack, and it rans out straight away! Same with the breakfast.. So dont expect getting any food. They also offer different tours, which also sounds good. But they dont really want you to joine the tours. We signed up for a walking tour, and later that day they told us nobody had sign up so it had been cancelled. Apparently they need 13 people in the group! Then the next night we met some others from the hostel that had been on the walkingtour! It was not cancelled at all! So in the end we just felt like they offers a lot, but it is only on the paper. The receptionist er really friendly but dosent know anything. We also asked for a discount on the wrestling tour, because nobody picked us up at the airport, and ofcourse we never heard back. They just want your money, I would not go back. We went on the Wrestling tour which was great fun, but not because of the hostell. In that tour you also get BBQ, but they BBQ only last for 30 minutes, so eat fast! Again, it all sounds good, but in the end they just want your money...

• Stayed January 2012, travelled as a couple
New York City, New York
Reviewed 6 January 2012

This fantastic hostel is located just a few blocks from the Zocalo. Private rooms are spacious and clean, if susceptible to street noise. Breakfast is generally fruit, cereal, and some hot food, but first come first serve and if it's finished by the time you arrive, they probably are not making more. Coffee, however is plentiful and good. Extremely helpful and friendly staff, reasonable prices in this comfortable no frills environment. Other travelers ranged from mid twenties- fourties and were less sociable than other hostels I've stayed in. It was more hotel-like in that respect.

I would recommend this hostel for travelers looking for inexpensive private accommodation. It's great location and wonderful staff made this a very pleasant stay!

• Stayed November 2011, travelled as a couple
Yackandandah
Reviewed 31 December 2011

Hostel Amigo Suites in on a bit of a seedy street. If you arrive at night, like we did, you may wonder what you have gotten yourself into (like we did).

However, in the cold light of day the location is actually great and the best part about this place. You are just one block from the Zocalo and there are plenty of good eateries around.

Hostel Amigo Suites also has an excellent terrace where you can chill out and meet new friends.

The rooms though... Don't believe the pictures that you see on their website. They are actually very spartan stock standard hostel rooms. Extremely low bunks and hard beds (I hit my head several times). There is zero furniture in the room - not a lamp, a table or even a chair. Nothing except two sets of bunks and four lockers.

The service varied depending on who was on the front desk. Some were excellent and spoke some English. Some were helpful but spoke no english and one or two appeared downright stupid.

One word of caution. Don't take the taxi service they offer. This is a downright con. We needed a taxi to the bus terminal. 'This is a set fare of 260 pesos'. I explained that I just wanted a normal taxi on the meter but they refused to call one for me. The fare, by the way, is 60-70 pesos. The taxi service is a dishonest money gouging trap and puts the entire experience of staying there in a poor light.

• Stayed December 2011