Hostel Amigo Suites
US$ 312
US$ 175
US$ 170
  • Restaurant
NH Collection Mexico City Santa Fe(Mexico City)(Great Value!)
US$ 115
US$ 173
US$ 184
US$ 179
  • Restaurant
All reviewsbreakfast and dinnerprivate roomplastic wrappedtea coffeedecent wifiroof terracenight stayhot watertwo blocksbreakfast was includedyogurtamigosmattressesvictorbunkflushingpesos
Reviewed 22 January 2012

This place is, like the other reviews say, a hybrid hostel/hotel. It's not doing either real well. I don't expect a lot from a hostel but the included breakfast and dinner was very average-the main problem is there isn't enough to go around-it's like the bare minimum. Better off spending a bit less and going somewhere where you get your own dinner/breakfast, I'd say-since there are so many good options for food in Mex city! The other bad thing was the beds-plastic wrapped mattresses that were sooooo hard I woke up with a sore back everyday. Also the bunk beds aren't secure so everytime the person on the other bunk moves, you get shaken about.

You could find somewhere much nicer and probably cheaper I'm sure.

On the bright side, location is good, it was clean and the staff were really friendly and helpful. The tour you pay for are good too-I did the wrestling and pyramids tours. The free walking tours weren't operating and I was annoyed they hadn't told me this when I emailed to make the reservation.

• Stayed: January 2012
Reviewed 15 January 2012

We stayed here for three nights. It is clean, nice rooms, great shower but hard beds! Great terrace! But... They offer free airport pick up, but nobody came. The number they gave us didnt work. When we got to the hostel the owner didnt apologize, he just gave us a look and blamed everything on us. Not very service minded! The price include breakfast and dinner, which sounds good. But the dinner is more like a light snack, and it rans out straight away! Same with the breakfast.. So dont expect getting any food. They also offer different tours, which also sounds good. But they dont really want you to joine the tours. We signed up for a walking tour, and later that day they told us nobody had sign up so it had been cancelled. Apparently they need 13 people in the group! Then the next night we met some others from the hostel that had been on the walkingtour! It was not cancelled at all! So in the end we just felt like they offers a lot, but it is only on the paper. The receptionist er really friendly but dosent know anything. We also asked for a discount on the wrestling tour, because nobody picked us up at the airport, and ofcourse we never heard back. They just want your money, I would not go back. We went on the Wrestling tour which was great fun, but not because of the hostell. In that tour you also get BBQ, but they BBQ only last for 30 minutes, so eat fast! Again, it all sounds good, but in the end they just want your money...

• Stayed: January 2012, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 6 January 2012

This fantastic hostel is located just a few blocks from the Zocalo. Private rooms are spacious and clean, if susceptible to street noise. Breakfast is generally fruit, cereal, and some hot food, but first come first serve and if it's finished by the time you arrive, they probably are not making more. Coffee, however is plentiful and good. Extremely helpful and friendly staff, reasonable prices in this comfortable no frills environment. Other travelers ranged from mid twenties- fourties and were less sociable than other hostels I've stayed in. It was more hotel-like in that respect.

I would recommend this hostel for travelers looking for inexpensive private accommodation. It's great location and wonderful staff made this a very pleasant stay!

• Stayed: November 2011, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 31 December 2011

Hostel Amigo Suites in on a bit of a seedy street. If you arrive at night, like we did, you may wonder what you have gotten yourself into (like we did).

However, in the cold light of day the location is actually great and the best part about this place. You are just one block from the Zocalo and there are plenty of good eateries around.

Hostel Amigo Suites also has an excellent terrace where you can chill out and meet new friends.

The rooms though... Don't believe the pictures that you see on their website. They are actually very spartan stock standard hostel rooms. Extremely low bunks and hard beds (I hit my head several times). There is zero furniture in the room - not a lamp, a table or even a chair. Nothing except two sets of bunks and four lockers.

The service varied depending on who was on the front desk. Some were excellent and spoke some English. Some were helpful but spoke no english and one or two appeared downright stupid.

One word of caution. Don't take the taxi service they offer. This is a downright con. We needed a taxi to the bus terminal. 'This is a set fare of 260 pesos'. I explained that I just wanted a normal taxi on the meter but they refused to call one for me. The fare, by the way, is 60-70 pesos. The taxi service is a dishonest money gouging trap and puts the entire experience of staying there in a poor light.

• Stayed: December 2011
2  Thank Guy K
Reviewed 28 December 2011

Nice location and private room.

Breakfast and dinner are served on time. Good bargain, for Mexico City.

The receptionist speaks understandable English, but it would be great if you know some Spanish.

The only problem is inevitable noise at night, when loud music is played on roof top before quiet hour.

• Stayed: August 2011, travelled with friends