“Great Location, great views” 4 of 5 bubbles
Review of InterContinental Presidente Mexico City

InterContinental Presidente Mexico City
Ranked #18 of 305 Hotels in Mexico City
Toronto ON
“Great Location, great views”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 June 2012

Stayed here twice in the past month and felt extremely comfortable in the hotel. Very typical business hotel - nice restaurants, attentive staff, nice boutiques throughout the complex. The hotel seems to be the preferred choice for politicians, celebs etc - there was a never ending rotation of security and police. I felt very safe here. Bonus: Starbucks directly across the street that opens at 6am. PS....Smoked Salmon from the restaurant on the 2nd floor is amazing!!

Room Tip: Ask for a front facing room - an endless view of Mexico City that will take your breath away!
1 Thank bikinis_and_bandanas
, General Manager at InterContinental Presidente Mexico City, responded to this review, 2 July 2012
Dear Guest,
Thanks a lot for your review. I am glad you enjoyed your visit and our staff was attentive.
It is our goal to exceed guest expectations and make their stay a memorable one.
Looking forward to welcoming you back in the near future, I remain,

Guillermo Valencia
Turn Your Opinions into Points!
Turn your opinions into JPMiles
Turn your opinions into PAYBACK Points
*You can enroll in only one programme at a time to earn rewards for reviews.
JPMiles / Payback Arrow
JPMiles / PAYBACK

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (203)
  • Turkish first
Arlington, Virginia
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 June 2012

Best part of this hotel: great location.

My partner and I stayed here for four nights: April 21-25, 2012. I liked the very central location in Polanco and it was a good value packaged together with my flight. The majority of the front of the house staff was very nice and helpful, but the woman at the concierge desk most of the time we were there was snippy (I don't know her name but she is small & short, and speaks pretty good English). Though clean, the lobby, open sitting area just below the lobby and the rooms are in huge need of a renovation. The seating in the open sitting area just below the lobby was old and cracked. The little tables need to be replaced. The carpeting is old and worn, though clean. Our room smelled musty, moldy and stuffy each time we returned to it. There was a stain on my sheet under the pillow. The in-room movie cost us almost USD $20...for one movie! We knew that before ordering it and it was our decision of course, but that is more than twice the cost of a movie in even nicer hotels. Unbelievable. The bathroom is in DESPERATE need of a renovation. I would not stay here again based on the bathroom alone. The toilet was something you would find in a public restroom. The wallpaper and flourescent lighting was straight out the 1980's. I could not beleive the drop ceiling and cracked caulking in the shower. Someone left their razor cover on the edge of the shower which housekeeping missed every day! We ordered two juices through room service which took almost an hour to arrive! It made us late in meeting up with a friend because we couldn't leave until the juices arrived. We didn't even want them by the time they came. On our final day at checkout, the man who checked us out (early 30's, curly dark hair) asked if we had eaten or drank any of the items in the room. I told him I ate one pack of granola bars. The form he gave me to sign had three packs listed. I asked why there were three, and he said something to the effect of, "well you ate three packs." I said, 'no, just one." He looked at me like he didn't beleive me, and said in a tone of disbelief, "in ALL of your stay, you're saying you had just ONE pack?" "yes!" He removed them and gave me a new form. We left our luggage at the front desk because our flight wasn't until 8:30 pm and we figured we would walk around the city to kill time. At 5:30 we picked up our luggage and I wanted to change clothes because we had been walking around all day and had a long trip back to the U.S. I asked the woman at the concierge desk (the woman I referenced earlier) if there was somewhere I could change, like in the spa upstairs. She instead directed me to the public bathroom in the sitting area below the lobby. Before venturing down there, I decided to check the spa to see if they would let me use the changing area because JW Marriott hotels let guests use the spa to change. The spa said I could, but I would need to purchase a showering service for $25! That's not what I needed or asked for. So, I headed down to the public bathroom - via the stairs with a 50 pound suitcase because there is no elevator! It is not right to have a guest change in a stalll, especially when the stall is so small that luggage cannot fit inside! I needed to leave my suitcase and computer bag unattended while I was inside the stall changing. It was very embarassing having to open my suitcase on the floor and dig through it on my hands and knees to find my clothes and toiletries while people walked around me to use the urinals.

All in all, I liked the proximity everything I wanted to do but I would not stay here again until its gone through a major refresh.

• Stayed June 2012, travelled as a couple
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
, General Manager at InterContinental Presidente Mexico City, responded to this review, 30 June 2012
Dear Guests,
I have read your review and apologize for the inconveniences you had, and for not meeting your expectations.
Regarding the Lobby bar at the lower level, I am glad to share with you that renovation works will start on July 9th and it will have a fresh and very nice look. We also are working on the sample rooms to then do the renovation of our guestrooms, including the bathrooms.
In reference to in-room movies, the cost depends on the type of picture you select. What we charge is the same as in other hotels.
I would like to reassure you that we take guests comments very seriously and I have shared your opinions with my team to make sure we improve both in terms of service and product.

McKinney, Texas
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 June 2012

Hello!

Please beware! This hotel IS NOT up to the standards of the Intercontinental hotel chain. It is a very old facility and the rooms are in serious need of renovation - in fact, they should just close the hotel for a year and re-do the whole darn thing. Rooms are dirty and mold and mildew in the showers and bathrooms are the standard. The air conditioning system is useless - they give you a thermostat in each room but those are dummies. Temperature is controlled for the entire building and is either heater mode or A/C mode. When in A/C mode it barely cools, making the rooms very hot during the day. If you are an Ambassador member, "Keep dreaming on getting your upgraded room" - this hotel does not honor this part of the Ambassador program and if they do, it is a very seldom occurrence. I used to be a regular customer at this hotel years ago and back then I provided feedback on the very same issues they have today which means they never listened to the feedback provided. I decided to return this time around thinking that they had taken care of their issues and in many ways they're worse off than they were 4-5 years ago.

On the other hand, they offer a great locatioin and a couple of decent restaurants on location and around the hotel in the Polanco area.

• 1 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank DMullert
, General Manager at InterContinental Presidente Mexico City, responded to this review, 27 June 2012
Dear Guest,

I am sorry your experience was not what you expected. I have to admit that out guestrooms need to be renovated, and we are presently working on that project. As a matter of fact we are in the process of doing some sample rooms.
Regarding the A/C we rarely have complaints since a new chiller was installed last year and it works properly; however we need to check the room you had.
In reference to the Ambassador upgrade, this is a privilege that we do honor when occupancy permits. From Monday thru Friday we are running almost full every night and we are not able to please as many requests as we wished.
Once again my apologies, and rest assured that we will do whatever it takes to improve our property and provide the best service.

Queretaro City, Mexico
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 June 2012

I stayed at this very well located hotel in Mexico City, around a couple of months ago, but haven't had the chance to write due to my complicated schedule, but want to very quick just say that when you are traveling on business and all day out of the hotel, the must appreciated thing when you come back to your room, is the bed and really the new mattresses that they have as well as the bed sheets are really wonderful, it's difficult to leave the bed the next morning !!!

• Stayed April 2012, travelled on business
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
, General Manager at InterContinental Presidente Mexico City, responded to this review, 25 June 2012
Dear Guest,

Thanks a lot for your review.
I am glad you you enjoyed your stay and liked our beds and the new mattresses.
You are absolutely right, there is nothing better than a good rest after a long day of work.
We look forward to welcoming you back soon.

Charleston, South Carolina
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 June 2012

The hotel is showing signs of age and many things are outdated (the bathrooms while fine and functional could use a facelift) as could the bar near the lobby that lacks any charm whatsoever. On the other hand the price is often fair, the location in Polanco is great (between the Hyatt and the JW Marriott), and the service is fine.

As the cheapest option of the 3 it's good value for money but if you want to spend a few bucks more check out the others as well.

Room Tip: avoid taking any room number that ends in a number 17 or 23 as they back onto the elevators bank and...
Dear Guest,

Thank you for your your review and feedback. I would like to comment on some positive news for our customers:
The hotel has been in the process of a major renovation as of last year when we did the main lobby. This coming month we will start the renovation of the Lobby Bar and the Gym. In regards to the guestrooms, we are doing some sample rooms and will follow the works floor by floor.
I am sure you will notice some of the improvements next time you stay with us.
Looking forward to welcoming you back soon.

I remain, sincerely yours,