“Affordable choice in a central location”
Review of Hotel Catedral

Hotel Catedral
Ranked #16 of 312 Hotels in Mexico City
Reviewed 4 weeks ago

I had a comfortable room at the back of the hotel. It faced out over a courtyard where some new concrete was being laid, but the builders’ activities did not impinge, and the room was quiet. Air conditioning was fine, as was the wifi.
Some of the hotel staff speak a little English, so even for a non-Spanish speaker such as myself, there were no real communication problems.
The breakfast was included and was very good.
The hotel had a small roof terrace, yielding views over the city and (on a clear day) a view of Popacatapetl.
The hotel is situated in the midst of many restaurants, and is a couple of blocks from the Zocalo. The streets around it felt very safe. Its also near the Allende and Zocalo metro stations so its a good base for exploring other parts of the city.
Just one small point: the website says that room service is 24 hrs. Its not. I asked for food at 5.30am as I had an early start but was informed that this was ‘impossible’.

Room Tip: 5th floor room at the back was quiet but no balcony
  • Stayed: November 2017, travelled on business
HCatedral, Director General at Hotel Catedral, responded to this reviewResponded 3 weeks ago

Dear guest thank you very much for taking the time to tell us, we are pleased to have met your expectations, we offer an apology for the event with the room service, because as it says on our page if it is 24hrs, thank you very much for commenting since We will investigate what happened and I assure you that it will not happen again thanks for your comment and we will gladly wait for you on your next visit.

Reviewed 4 weeks ago

My local friends were dismayed to find that I stayed in the Centro Histórico, as opposed to more modern and nicer neighbourhoods like Condesa, Roma, or Polanco, but I stayed at Hotel Catedral for a week and didn't have any issues with the location. The surroundings are rundown, but I didn't feel unsafe, even alone at night. And Mexico City is so huge that no matter where you stay, you're gonna have to take transport to go to some places.

For the affordable price, my room and bathroom were both enormous, breakfast was included (lots of savoury Mexican food, but also some lighter fare). My only complaint is that all the wifi networks (there were like five of them) would often become unresponsive or unbearably slow for ten minutes at a time, so it took a lot of patience to catch up on social media. Other than that, very recommended.

• Stayed: August 2017, travelled solo

Dear guest thank you very much for taking the time to tell us, we are pleased to have met your expectations, we asked for an apology for the internet since we had a problem with the network, we worked on that and on your next visit we hope you see the result , we hope soon

Reviewed 4 weeks ago

I stayed for a week at Hotel Catedral and just loved it. If you want to be near the zocalo, this place is perfect. The breakfast is great, and a good deal. The room are comfortable, and the top floor has a great balcony that we sat in every evening as the sun set over the catedral.

Room Tip: The room on the front had a balcony that overlooked the street. The rooms at the back had views of...
  • Stayed: November 2017, travelled with family

Dear guest thank you very much for taking the time to tell us, we are pleased to have met your expectations and we look forward to your next visit

Reviewed 4 weeks ago via mobile

The location is good if you want to be close to Zocalo and the Centro Historico. It is comfortable, clean and the staff are very helpful.

We arrived and were assigned a room only to find that it was occupied when we got there! The receptionist was very helpful and upgraded us to a suite for one night. The suite was large but sparsely decorated with a nice bathroom and private balcony. Unfortunately, the other suites had been booked by a group of young mexicans who proceeded to run up and down the corridor all night. Our actual room was comfy and quiet.

We went on one excursion booked through the hotel but it was awful (less than 3 hours of sights on 10 hours with lots of tat shops thrown in).

In short, a decent hotel with friendly staff who speak good English.

Stayed: November 2017, travelled as a couple

Dear guest thank you very much for taking the time to tell us, we are pleased to have met your expectations and I apologize for the noise and for your tour we will take into account your comment and we will be more aware of these aspects thanks

Reviewed 8 November 2017 via mobile

I have stayed at this hotel 4 times and it never disappoints. This time I was traveling by myself and I wanted to stay someplace familiar. Staff are kind, they serve great cookies in the lobby, and everything and everyone runs with great efficiency. I will be back again, and I will, without fail, recommend this hotel to all my friends. The added bonus is that it is in the center of everything and right next to the Zocalo.

Stayed: November 2017, travelled solo
HCatedral, Director General at Hotel Catedral, responded to this reviewResponded 4 weeks ago

Dear Jill thank you very much for taking the time to tell us it is very pleasant to have fulfilled your expectations and we hope that next time we will choose again as hosts since it would be an honor to return you