1,499 results
All reviews tour desk templo mayor rooftop terrace excellent location main cathedral great bargain two blocks single room breakfast buffet rooms are clean and comfortable zocalo area historic center central location top floor hotel restaurant no air conditioning desk staff
Reviewed 3 October 2007

We stayed in this hotel for 4 nights in Jul 07. We arrived to be greeted by a friendly bell boy who assisted us with our luggage and took us to the reception desk, who again, were very friendly and helpful with our questions. I noted whilst waiting, how busy this hotel is with visitors from all over the world. I suggest booking early into this hotel to prevent dissapointment.

Unfortunately our hotel was not ready upon our arrival, yet only a short wait and we were taken to our room. Our room was modestly furnished with 2 QS beds which were firm and comfortable, TV, a clean and well sized bathroom which has a tap of unlimited purified water, a bonus in Mexico City. The water pressure and temperature were very good. We found the elevator too slow for us and as we were on the fourth floor elected to walk the stairs to our room.

Located within the hotel complex is a small bar and a busy restaurant. The bar is cozy, quiet and comfortable. Costs for drinks are reasonable for a hotel. We enjoyed 3 breakfast and 1 evening meal in the restaurant and all meals were reasonably priced and quite nice. The breakfast menu is extensive and includes both Mexican and American style breakfast meals, all of which are reasonably priced. For the two of us it cost approx US$5 each (at the time of writing) for breakfast which included bread roll, fruit platter each and tea & juice. The dinner menu also provided a variety of meals and prices.

The location of the hotel is perfect to enable visitors to walk to the Zocalo, metro system (which is easy to use and understand and the cheapest way to get around the city), to shops, banks etc. There is also an intenet cafe a short distance from the hotel, as internet is free in the rooms only.

Tip: Check out the Turibus, and excellent way to see the city if you are short on time.

• Stayed: July 2007, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Curlisue71
Reviewed 15 September 2007

Es un muy buen hotel, excelentemente ubicado en las cercanías del centro histórico

Limpio, seguro y a precio razonable

• Stayed: September 2007, travelled as a couple
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
Reviewed 11 September 2007

If you want to be near the bustle of Centro Historico in Mexico City and still have plenty of money to spend on food and activities, then Hotel Catedral is for you. My husband and I had a great stay over Labor Day weekend.

While furnished with just the basics, rooms were spotless and well kept. Try and get a balcony room - we had one - and contrary to other reviewers, nights and mornings were quiet, even in the street-facing rooms. Try and avoid rooms on the back side of the building, facing the Catedral and Zocalo. There is a disco that goes late on Fridays and Saturdays. The music was fine while sitting out on the 8th floor terrace (which is a great place to sip margaritas from the bar - they'll bring them up to you!) with views of the Catedral and Zocolo, but I would have been unhappy if my room were on that side of the building.

Staff were friendly and patient with our broken Spanish. I liked the safe deposit boxes, which are maintained behind the front desk. You get a key and they have to open with a key too - kind of like the bank. Also, we didn't book our pyramid tour through the hotel (go to the hostel on Tacuba for this), but the ladies at the tour desk did help us book futbol tickets through Ticketmaster. We could not have done it without them - the phone call with Ticketmaster took about 10 minutes, and one of the women did all of the planning for us. And, we ended up with GREAT seats for only $15 USD total, including tax and ticketmaster fees - that is total for 2 people! Note: for Ticketmaster-purchased tickets, you have to pick them up at Estadio Azteca - kind of like will call. When we went, only the first two windows handled Ticketmaster orders...these were the first two windows farthest from where the line emptied into the ticket booth area. Be sure to ask before waiting in line at a window that deals with day-of orders only.

Call ahead if you're going to be late - they ask for an arrival time and seem to stick to it. I'm glad we called.

Hotel restaurant was ok. Go to Cafe Popular on Cinco de Mayo for awesome grub.

One other note - we took Metro to the match and to Coyoacan - we never felt unsafe. Take usual big-city precautions you would anywhere in the world.

An excellent stay - we would recommend this place to anyone looking for a nice, safe, clean, and reliable budget hotel in Mexico City.

• Stayed: August 2007, travelled as a couple
4  Thank ChristineB-DC
Reviewed 6 September 2007

My husband and I wanted to stay in a hotel within walking distance to the center. Having heard all sorts of things about mexico city we were a bit concerned but once we got there we were pleasantly surprised...The staff was extrememely helpful and accomodating. The only thing I didn't know was that if you tell them you're going to arrive at a certain hour they expect you to show up at that hour or they give away your reservation. I called them from the airport to say we were running late and I'm glad I did. While we were there they were booked solid. The hotel was clean and very comfortable. Early in the morning and late at night there is no one in the streets but during mid day the streets are PACKED. They operate a hostel about 1 block away that has the best tours of Teotichuacan ever. (And it's cheaper ;-) I would recommend this place in a heartbeat and plan to return next time I'm in Mexico city.

Stayed: August 2007
2  Thank marci0131
Reviewed 4 September 2007

This hotel is very conveniently located to the main square. The rooms are comfortable but nothing exciting. We found our room to be pretty noisy given we are on the street. The staff were friendly and hospitable, however.

• Stayed: November 2006
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
1  Thank Saludos_y_hola