See what travellers are saying:
Reviewed 1 June 2016

If you want to go out and enjoy the city, this is an excellent option. The hotel is located over a tunnel, but of course you don't hear the cars' noise. The rooftop is nice and comfortable with incredible views of the city. Rooms are clean and simple. For the price, is a very good accommodation.

• Stayed: May 2016, travelled with family
Reviewed 17 April 2016 via mobile

Good stuff first:
- great location
- beautiful building (but you fall over them in Guanajuato)
- friendly reception (but then I speak Spanish, so that helps)

Now the bad stuff:
- VERY loud hotel guests - so if you are here on business you just won't be able to sleep before 1 without ear plugs. So find a hotel outside the popular center or a very expensive one with sound-proofing
- they refused to issue an invoice which I require for refund by my employer and ignored my emails after provision of the required tax number (RFC). In the end I had to enlist the help of a (Mexican) colleague at work to get this resolved.

Stayed: April 2016, travelled on business
Reviewed 20 March 2016 via mobile

I admit that at time of booking I had a bad discussion with the front desk/reservation agent Because he was not respecting my booking and the guarantee and cxl policy.
The reasons you should not book this hotel are:
Unpolite staff, front desk, finance and THE OWNER.
Not clean at all- bring a bottle of clorox if you want to use the bathroom, the bedroom is also not clean.
My iPad got stolen, it was hidden in my luggage, hidden because they don't have safety boxes in any of the rooms.
They only have few security cameras, not enough to cover the real needs, check if someone goes into your room and steal!!!, also, they have a check room, but it is not covered by the cameras. So anyone can go to your room or the check room and steal your belongings...
You don't open your room with a magnetic card, it is a normal lock, the hotel staff has plenty of duplicates of the keys.
The Owner implied that "i deserved it" because i had an argument with one of the employees! So that is like admiting that someone from your employees stole the iPad and he couldn't care less.
Besides of not being a safe place, it is noisy, dirty, old, it has no privacy.
It is really not a good option, for sure I will not come back.

Stayed: March 2016, travelled with friends
4  Thank Georgina G
Reviewed 24 February 2016

We stayed 2 nights, the first one we sleep real bad, the bed had like a hole on it, they change us without a problem next day, the rooms are ok, clean, and is in the center. If we go away we would like to try a different place, with more views of the city

• Stayed: December 2015, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 9 July 2015 via mobile

Hotel Real Guanajuato is supposedly a 4 star hotel, but I stayed here and at Hotel Socavon (3 stars) for comparison's sake, and I thought Hotel Socavon was WAY better. (Yes, I know. I'm becoming a Trip Advisor Junkie.) Basically, Hotel Real Guanajuato is way overpriced and much exaggerated in its opinion of itself. Here are my thoughts:

Pros:
- It is located very near the main tourist center (5 min walk)
- Clean tile floor, bathroom, and kitchen (sink and microwave were clean and ant-free)
-Room temp was ok in July, which is good because there is NO ceiling fan, nor way to ventilate the room. (weather is in the 60s).
-The HOT shower water does not run out (wait for it); the water pressure was a little better than Hotel Socavon, but not much.
-24 hr front desk, check-out 1pm

CONS:
-NOT 4 stars. More like 2.
-Expensive. Especially for what you get.
Several claims in the description are NOT accurate:
1. NO Wi-Fi was available, let alone "free WiFi in all areas". I could BARELY connect in the sala (common area between rooms) on a Thursday before other people checked in, but from Friday to Sunday, the Wi-Fi connections weren't even turned ON. The boy at the front desk told me too many people overload the network when the hotel is full, but my phone displayed ("turned off") when searching for the connections I'd previously used. Hmm.
2. NO free breakfast was included, nor was there a restaurant on site.
3. "FREE cancellation" only applies if you cancel 30 days ahead. Pfft. Please. Needless to say, I failed to notice THAT red flag.
4. NO ceiling fan was in the room.
5. NO safe was in the room.
6. NO view of anything but the common area courtyard was seen from the rooms.
6. The "seasonal" rooftop terrace, only "closed November through April", was closed. In July. (It only had space for two tables, anyway).
This is not one or two discrepancies. The description of this hotel is a gross exaggeration. I'm pretty easy to please as far as hotels go. I just want a clean and quiet place to crash after exploring. But this hotel is nothing like its description, NOR is it quiet, so I can't believe the reviewers rated it so high. Read on, if you dare.
-the rooms are small and smell like lacquer on wood.
-The hotel layout is BIZARRO.
A. The "reception" area is a desk right at the entry to the side of a set of stairs. You literally start climbing as soon as you enter.
B. The door and one wall to the room are glass and face the interior common room, so you have to keep the curtain closed to prevent your neighbors - who are literally 3 feet across from you - from watching YOU instead of the tv.
C. This little courtyard common room is open to the sky; therefore, you hear all the guests from every floor, especially when their bathroom windows are open. Every night until 12:30am and morning at 6:30am, I heard the neighbors talking, laughing, screaming (kids), and crying (kids/babies). I also heard my neighbor's tv all night. It really took me back to my college days in the dorm . . . I would've felt nostalgic if I hadn't had a cold and needed some sleep.
D. The open courtyard also means you get rained on every time you return and are putting your key in to open the door.
E. The door opens to a small 1.5 ft space along the side of the bed at the headboard. So you gingerly step inside, then walk alongside the bed to the end of the bed to enter the room. Weird.
F. The bathroom is tiny and the large window that opens outward faces the common area, so everyone can hear your bathroom activities, even with the window shut. Nice.
G. The bathroom window sill is waist high. The glass is distorted for privacy, but it doesn't feel private. There is an additional curtain you can pull across, but not without climbing into the tub. Whaaaat...?
H. The turnstiles for the tub/shower are located at the opposite end from the faucet/showerhead. Tré bizarre.
I. The tp is mounted on the wall opposite the toilet, so you are forced to do calisthenics (while on vacation!) to get to that tp.
J. There is only ONE mirror in the entire room - over the sink. It fogs up during a shower in the tiny bathroom, and does not air out / clear for hours. In fact, I tried to use the cheap little wall-mounted hair dryer to dry the mirror, and after 35 seconds, the dryer died. Awesome. (Apparently, you can't use the high setting on the dryer. So, in effect, the hair dryer is worthless.)
WHO DESIGNED THIS PLACE??

-There was a small microwave in the room, but I don't even know if it worked because I never used it. What's the point without a fridge or any cups, plates, or utensils?
-2 medium-sized towels, and one small bath mat towel were provided, along with soap, tp, and one bottled water per day. The towels were thin, rough, and very old. - The maid took the towels I had hanging (to reuse), and replaced them, despite the note in the room explaining that they wouldn't in order to conserve water.
-The sink water and the shower water smelled a little bad. The sink did not have hot water.
-Worn out electrical outlets that do not support large plugs (phone and tablet super chargers) *This is typical of many Mexican hotels
-guests /desk clerks smoke late at night and the smoke wafts up the stairs to the rooms with no way to eliminate it.

In sum, this hotel is a FAR CRY from 4 stars. It really seemed more like a hostel, since the guests are practically staying together. I wished I'd stayed at Hotel Socavon the entire time, but it was too late to cancel my reservations here, of course. If I could've cancelled and just taken the hit on one night, I would've. But the cancellation cost (plus first night) was MORE than my entire 3 night stay, so I was pretty much forced to endure mediocre accommodations for three times the price. BOO! Heed my warning and stay anywhere but here.

*General travel advice*
1. Pack light - easier to check in/out and travel to/from locations and airports. Always put back 1/2 of what you initially pack (ladies). You won't use it, anyway, and you'll be glad you did.

2. Always bring an extension cord to counteract inconveniently placed electrical outlets.

3. Never eat in the tourist zone (unless you want American food). It is 3-4 times as expensive and the quality isn't near as good as downtown. The food in the Mercado Hidalgo and downtown Centro is better.

4. Getting TO Guanajuato:
-bus/drive from Guadalajara 4-5 hrs
-bus/drive from Mexico City 5-6 hrs
-from Leon/Guanajuato airport (BJX):
-you must buy a taxi ride from the kiosk inside the airport. No other option.
Suggestions:

A. Share a taxi with others waiting. Just ask them. They're likely to be grateful to split the cost. (450 pesos [about $30] for the 30-35 minute drive. This is very expensive in Mexico.)
B. Buy a taxi ride to Silao (10 min, 250 pesos, about $17), then take a 2nd-class bus to Guanajuato for 28 pesos. They leave every few hours. I was lucky enough to arrive only 20 minutes before departure. The last stop (Centro GTO) stops at the curb one block from Hotel Socavon). This is the cheapest option, not the fastest. The bus ride alone takes just over 45 minutes. (Any bus ride is roughly twice as long as driving).

From there, take a taxi (35 pesos) to the hotel in Zona Centro.
*If you packed light, take a city bus (5 pesos) to Centro/Mercado/San Javier and get off on San Javier right before the tunnel.

5. Getting AROUND in GTO:
A. In Mexico, I highly recommend using the bus system to get around. The city buses run every 20 minutes and take you everywhere for 5 or 6 pesos. Buses run every hour to remote locations, like Cristo Rey - 19 pesos - from Valenciana. Unless you are towing kids, it is ALWAYS cheaper and just as fast to take the buses instead of a tour. I get to every location, get private explanations, and take all my pics before the tour buses arrive with throngs of noisy people.
B. If you are hearty or alone, walk the city. In 3 days, I easily explored the entire city on foot. I only took a bus to Valenciana (1hr), and then on to Cristo Rey (1 hr) and then back, and one BACK from the Hacienda de San Gabriel Barrera. I walked everywhere else using the frequently-posted signs, a wandering nature, and the directions of people I passed. I received a map on Day 3, but by then, I'd pretty much figured out my way around (admittedly, after walking in circles many times).

Guanajuato is beautiful and safe. The people are friendly. The city is very clean as there are city garbage cans EVERYWHERE. The tunnels and historic sights add a lot of character to this town.

Happy travels!