See what travellers are saying:
Reviewed 9 April 2013

Stayed here with a group of friends while visiting Guanajuato in October 2012. Upon arrival, we were shocked at how many people there were in the village. We hadn't realised there was the annual festival during that weekend. It took a while to check in - we had booked three rooms. the rooms were small but all we needed for the two days we were in Guanjuato. Lugging baggage up those stairs was a bit of a nightmare. However, the hotel itself is really interesting - there are bullet holes in some of the walls, beautiful old paintings everywhere in the foyer, there's a bar downstairs which appeared to have a Scottish theme (go figure), and a fairly decent restaurant. We had breakfast the days we were there, no problems encountered. Hotel Real is right in the centre of things - you're surrounded by restaurants, pubs, shops, galleries (including Diego Rivera's house). Also, I would definitely recommend a visit to the Mummy Museum - although perhaps not with a hangover. If you're after a late drunken night, I'd recommend the Wot If bar, in one of the backstreets somewhere - had a great night drinking tequila and mezcal with the locals. If I was ever to return to Mexico, I would include at least a week in Guanajuato during the festival, and would most probably stay at Hotel Real again.

Date of stay: October 2012
  • Trip type: Travelled with friends
1  Thank evie_wahini
Reviewed 20 June 2012

I would not recommend this hotel to anyone. The only thing good was the location to town but that was only good if you don't mind listening to drunk people, music and fireworks all night! Beds were terrible, the room was always light from the street and hallway lights, no ameities, to get WiFi you had to hang out the window, no water pressure and the drains did not work. We found out there are many other hotels for nearly the same price with much bette accommodations.

Date of stay: June 2012
2  Thank Barb S
Reviewed 4 May 2012

They didn't honor our reservation even though we confirmed the day before. Luckily the hotel next door (Los poetas) had rooms and was lovely. Don't give them your business.

Date of stay: May 2012
2  Thank Ksss8
Reviewed 4 January 2012

Average quality of the room.
Rooms are huge and equipped with a small kitchen.
Breakfast is not offered at the hotels.
Location is very central like many other hotels in Guanajuato.
To my opinion, this hotel is overestimated on Tripadvisor; I would not recommend it!
I did not appreciate that the receptionist insisted too much to sell us his tours and gave us some wrong information (opening hours ...).

Date of stay: November 2011
2  Thank BenjiFrankfurt
Reviewed 26 October 2011

I stayed there in a trip with my boyfriend and it was really good. I loved the decoration, and it's really clean and beautiful.
The rooms are comfortable and the service was really good too.
The view is perfect, it's lovely and romantic, perfect for a romantic trip. And the location too, it's in the center of Guanajuato.
I'll never forget this trip. Everything there was amazing.
I hope I can go back one day, because the city is awesome too, really beautiful.
And if I go back I'll definitely stay in that place again.

Date of stay: July 2011