“A Perfect Location to Enjoy Old Guanajuato” 4 of 5 bubbles
Review of Meson Del Rosario

Meson Del Rosario
Ranked #23 of 57 Hotels in Guanajuato
New Westminster BC
“A Perfect Location to Enjoy Old Guanajuato”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 December 2008

We were advised by relatives to book in the old city of Guanajuato and given a couple of hotels to choose from. A friend in Melaque reccomended Hotel San Rosario, so we reserved a room there. We have little experience in Mexico, but definitely wanted to be in the old town of Gto, and were not disapointed. Our cab driver at the bus terminal took us to another world. We were taken aback by the streets, buildings, colours, everything really.
The hotel is in the middle of it all, and is so beautiful, comfortable, very old world (take your pick - Spain or Mexico) full of amazing woodwork, tilework like I've never seen - our bathroom was 100% encased in beautiful tiles - we were enthralled. The staff mostly do not speak english, but were so nice and helpful that a bit of work with the phrase book was easy and fun.
We paid more per night than on the West Coast, and we expected that. It was like living in a time warp and we loved it. We easily walked to the Diego Rivera museum and to the Granary where the revolution began in 1810. The best coffee in Mexico was right around the corner. It was a very good location for us to experience this amazing Spanish colonial city.
The fact that it is a university town was also a plus as it had several internet cafes near to the hotel so we could check our email for very little money (I forget) and they also put my precious photographs of Mexico on a cd so I would not lose them for about a dollar.
We enjoyed the staff and clients of Hotel Mission San Rosario very much. I'd recomend it to anyone looking for a trip into the real Mexico, rather than an all inclusive package where you cannot meet the people.

Stayed March 2008
Turn Your Opinions into Points!
Turn your opinions into JPMiles
Turn your opinions into PAYBACK Points
*You can enroll in only one programme at a time to earn rewards for reviews.
JPMiles / Payback Arrow
JPMiles / PAYBACK

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (7)
  • Indonesian first
Tucson, Arizona
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 June 2008

I really recommend this hotel if you are looking for a good price, no frills and a great location.

We visited the Meson del Rosario in June. There was a group of 17 US college students and myself, their professor. I was looking for something that was economical, central and CLEAN. I shopped around and after asking friends from Guanajuato, they recommended this place.

Note, I have been to Guanajuato several times and I have stayed in various hotels, including Hotel Luna which is twice the cost of Meson and on the central Jardin Union, and I have stayed in not well kept hotels such as "La Fragua" which is not even centrally located, but is cheaper. This hotel met our needs since the students did not want to stay in a pricier hotel but stil wanted something decent. The students stayed in triples (one double bed and a singe) and I stayed in a double (one full bed).

The rooms were very CLEAN. They even provide you with a bottled water free of charge, which I thought was nice. Note, the rooms are small but it met our needs since the students and I were never in our rooms. Each room has a TV, though not too many channels to choose from , but again, we weren't spending much time there anyway. The beds are a little stiff. The bathrooms were interesting. I had a shower curtain in mine but some of the rooms did not have a shower curtain between the shower and toilet so water got everywhere. Curiously, I have seen this several times in my travels in Latin America so I wasn't surprised but some of the students were, though they were good sports about it.

There is no restaurant but you have coffee shops 30 yards away walking towards the back of the hotel where you can see a cute plaza where they have music on some nights.

I also liked that they have quiet hours after 10 PM. They shut the main door, but you can still get in and out as you please though you are asked to be quiet, which allowed me to sleep despite the fact that I had the first room in the corridor.

The location is a minute from the government palace and a couple more minutes to the Jardin Union. No taxis were ever needed except to get to the bus station, but that was 40 pesos (4 dollars).

The staff was excellent. They were always worried about tending to our needs, including getting playing cards for a couple of the students who decided they wanted to play cards. They were also very patient in constantly giving us our room keys (like in most of Mexico, you leave your key at the front door when you step out). They provided me with a lot of touristic information and cautioned me of certain tours. They also got us taxis when we needed to go to the bus station.

All in all, I will be visiting the Meson del Rosario for all of my Guanajuato travels.

• Liked — clean cheap and excellent location
  • Disliked — Not too many double rooms available but triples worked out for our group
  • Stayed June 2008
Albuquerque
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 May 2008

Meson del Rosario is a great place. It is close to the main sights and though all streets run up and down hill in Guanajuato it does not require any steep climbing to reach this hotel.

The doorway is so ordinary that it doesn't seem like a place to enter, but inside the lobby is pretty and then the open area between rooms is beautiful to behold. They had our name for our internet reservation, which isn't always the case, and offered us three rooms to look at. The first, on the lower floor and the right side as you enter, was fine. The other two, on the left and upstairs, were much larger with a big closet and a spacious bathroom. These two, however, had a window in the room that looked out over a spot where cars pop up out of one of the tunnels. We chose the large room with the window and the tunnel traffic. This was not a problem for us. The buses are noisy and they stop between 10pm and 6am. Neither of us had problems sleeping due to road noise. It seems miraculous that this road outside the window exists. From the front of the hotel on the street there is no sign of it and a block behind the hotel there is a plaza with outside restaurants where one might expect this street to appear.

Both the bathroom and room had windows opening into the lobby. The bathroom featured a steel safety door that could be locked from either the bathroom or the room side. This would make it possible to open the bathroom window to let out steam and either leave the room or go to sleep feeling secure because there is a solid door locked between the bathroom and the room.

This hotel doesn't have a restaurant but there are many choices close by. People at the front desk were very courteous and helpful. The room was large and comfortable and the bathroom excellent. I enjoyed this hotel a great deal.

• Liked — comfortable and charming hotel in a great location
  • Disliked — the car tunnel
  • Stayed April 2008, travelled as a couple
israel
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 October 2007

First - a statement: when we travel abroad and our goal is to tour a place - we usually look for a nice, clean room with an ensuite bathroom. We take into consideration that we will actually use the room only for sleeping after a busy day. We prefer to spend our money in good food, museums, theatre tickets etc. For this purposes Meson del Rosario is O.K. We stayed there for 2 nights, got a room in the upper floor which was decently sized and clean. We had a window so there was no problem with light though no view. Yes the towels were thin but smelled o.k. The front desk stuff were very nice and helpful though fortunately - we speak Spanish. We did notice that they have problems with English. The beds were hard however but did not bother us. We paid around 49 USD per nights. We booked the hotel basing on the recommendation in the Lonely Planet which rated it as a "Mid Range" Hotel I am not sure that this is the right category. More like "Upgraded Budget". Nevertheless - O.K. for the money and purpose.

• Liked — location and price
  • Disliked — thin towels and bed sheets
  • Stayed September 2007, travelled as a couple
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank artman
Gig Harbor, WA
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 March 2007

Meson del Rosario is smack dab in the middle of the action in Guanajuato, adjoining a major thoroughfare. The Lonely Plant describes the hotel as having a "medieval feel" and this was true in both the best and worse sense of the word. We had a back corner room that didn't let in any light at all. It was a decent price (around $58), but the room was so small, with two small double beds crammed in, that you hardly had room to move. It had a musty smell as well. I'm willing to give them the benefit of the doubt in so far as we may have had bad luck to get one of their smaller rooms.

• Stayed March 2007, travelled as a couple
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
4 Thank Jazzpod

Travellers are raving about these Guanajuato hotels