“Amazing!”

Ranked #11 of 79 Hotels in Zihuatanejo
Fort Worth, Texas
“Amazing!”
Reviewed 1 May 2012

Me, my husband and another couple stayed 5 nights in bldg 5. Amazing views in both one bedroom suites. Ground level suite was huge - both ground and 3rd level had great views.

We ate breakfast and dinner at Zi. Enjoyed Otilia's (I think...?) on Los Gatos, La Perla & Pati's on La Ropa. Enjoyed walking around the downtown area - there was an Ixtapa Sports store to get my son a Mexico soccer shirt. For my husband's birthday we treated ourselves to dinner at Amuleto - oh my, what a place!! Had made reservations at Tentaciones but they ended up being closed. We did walk from Los Gatos to La Ropa...unfortunately we had a flip flop break...recommend wearing tennis shoes or at least some sort of strapped on sandal.

Had 3 massages...$20 & $35 for an hour. No need to pay the $50 at CI. Seems they could charge less and have a lot more business...just a short walk down the beach to save $30 USD.

Purchased 20 credits before our arrival...more would have been too much.

Made 2 trips to La Comercial for snacks, beer/alcohol, water.

Went to the main pier to make fishing arrangements and had a great day aboard the Gran Jeffe. Much nicer boat and better service than we have had from a similar 8 hour fishing trip in Destin.

Sunset cruise w/ Picante arranged at Intrawest was awesome.

I did get a few bug bites. We tried to keep the doors shut. One night we did have to move our game of Spades indoors.

The food, service, views, pool...all amazing! I thought Zihuatanejo was a delight and can't wait to return! Thanks to all the Trip Advisor input. And so fun to meet other Intrawest members!! Just booked a spring break trip to Whistler!!

• Stayed April 2012, travelled as a couple
1 Thank travelerfromaledo
Turn Your Opinions into Points!
Turn your opinions into JPMiles
Turn your opinions into PAYBACK Points
*You can enroll in only one programme at a time to earn rewards for reviews.
JPMiles / Payback Arrow
JPMiles / PAYBACK

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (162)
Reno
Reviewed 28 April 2012

This was our first time at this resort and we will definitely go again. We loved everything about it. We vacation often and have been at some beautiful resorts and this one is now a favorite. The accommodations are awesome! We had a one bedroom suite ocean view with amazing views! We awoke to the sound of the ocean and the birds and loved it. The most relaxing trip we have ever taken:-)

Room Tip: We stayed in room 514-overlooking the pool and ocean:-) Our deck felt completely private;-) They did...
  • Stayed April 2012, travelled as a couple
Toronto
Reviewed 27 April 2012

The greatest place for our family to vacation and to have down time as a family. We love the staff the property and just the time we have being together in this great and beauiful resort. The pool area the Zih bar is a excellent way to spend your day, the food is great and well priced. Their is construction next door but didn't hear much going on there. I'm counting the day when I can return to Club Z....thanks for making this one of our favorite places to vacation.

• Stayed April 2012, travelled with family
Portland, Oregon
Reviewed 24 April 2012

My husband and I went to Club Z the end of March to celebrate our 25th wedding anniversary. No kids. No worries. Just us! We are members of Club Intrawest and I am happy to see that our dues are being used well. The property is well maintained, the staff seem very happy with their jobs, and the rooms met our expectations. We were in room 525, a one bedroom, with a beautiful, partial view of the bay from both sides of the balcony.

Here are some specifics:
Staff: I know you've read this already, but it really can't be overstated. The staff there are amazing. So warm, friendly, accommodating. The bellmen (Dennis, Miguel, Luis) knew our name, our room number and our likes/dislikes within the first few hours. They were always ready to take us in the "Limo" (golf cart) to the pool or our room or give us good advice about things to do or places to eat. Our housekeeper made sure our room was beautiful every day. She even freshened up the towel swans! The restaurant/pool staff was also amazing. Angel and Alfredo took especially good care of us. They staff works so hard. Don't forget to tip them (including housekeeping). We didn't tip every time we rode the "limo" or bought a drink, but by the end of the trip, we made sure we tipped everyone who went above and beyond. They were all so humbled and grateful. I felt so much better about giving a $100 peso tip there than I do a $10 tip at home.

Yes there was construction, however, it wasn't bothersome at all. In fact, the "jackhammers" we read about were never heard. We did hear some hammering, some truck noises, and general construction noises, but it in no way detracted from our peace. However, we were up early every morning (due to the bird noises, not the construction).

Mosquitos. Yes ... there were a ton of them -- it's a tropical location. I took bug spray and still got bitten. They did not like my husband (maybe because they were full from feasting on me). The club suggested we close up the room at 6pm, and that did help. We learned to put towels under the doors to seal off cracks. That helped. We had the room fumigated mid-trip. That seemed to help.

Small Ants. Yes ... there were a ton of them -- it's a tropical location. We kept food in ziplock bags and kept the dishes very clean.

Meal Plan: We bought 20 points each for the week, and for us, it was just perfect. We each had one point left on the last day and had a goodbye drink. We shared a lunch at the pool, had a few breakfasts (DELICIOUS), two nice dinners, and some pool drinks (happy hour 2for1 in the afternoons).

Pool: Yup -- people put their towels down early. I've never been to a resort where this doesn't happen. We alternated between pool one day, beach the next. We were at the pool by 9 am and had chairs every time. The pool was clean, comfortable, and had good service. It's not very big. Sometimes, there was a weird smell coming off the bar (maybe like wet palm fronds?).

Things to bring:
Gallon ziplock bags for left overs in your room
Water bottle to take to the pool (insulated would be best)
Bug Spray
Hydracortizone (or itch cream) for when you do get bit
More SPF 30 than you think you need (we thought we'd be able to do 15. Not so much)

Nuts and Bolts:
Taxis are cheap and every driver we had was friendly. It was our first trip, so we had the hotel arrange transportation from the airport to the hotel. It was nice to have all that pre-arranged, especially since we really didn't know what we were doing, but next time, we'd just get a taxi.

We grocery shopped twice at the big grocery store. That's where we used the ATM as well. My husband LOVED the pastry section at the back of the store. We bought things to eat for breakfast, snacks, tequila for mixing our own margaritas, and some fresh fruit.

You can walk into town no problem. About a 20-25 minute walk (and we aren't in that great of shape). We enjoyed town twice, but mostly stayed around Playa La Ropa. Next time, we'll venture out more.

We bought a fishing trip off a guy on the beach (Captain David). He was very nice. The trip was $150 US dollars. His 16 year old nephew ended up being our "captain". We fished 7-9:30 and we didn't catch any fish, but we had a nice day (later I heard we should have asked for live bait, but we aren't fishermen, so who knows). He took us snorkling and to the beach across the way (sorry, now I can't remember the name), and stayed with us all day. Basically, $150 (plus tip) for a guided day trip. I don't regret it, but just make sure you know what you are getting into.

Tequila Tasting: Fun and informative. Do it.

Time Share pressure: Just one time we were asked if we wanted to do a "check up". We didn't. That was the end of that.

Club Z restaurant: Delicious dinner, stupendous service! Using the meal plan points is really the best bang for your buck. Each dinner was 6 points. I added up and my dinner would have cost $75 if I hadn't used the points. In my opinion, the Friday Mexican Buffet was just OK. Next time, I'll skip that and try the beach fresh catch cook night.

Feel free to email me if you have questions. Enjoy!

Room Tip: Building 5 was directly across from the lobby. The higher up you are, the better the view, but the...
  • Stayed March 2012, travelled as a couple
5 Thank tlkrumm
Montreal
Reviewed 20 April 2012

Hola, just got back from Zijua and was my second time at Intrawest. I was travelling with members of the club (their 5th year at the hotel) and rented one of the villa’s (we were a total of 8). Lots of space and beautiful view. We used the point system for drinks and food (best option). Usual routine was breakfast/diner at condo and supper to a restaurant in town. Quick and easy taxi run to Mexicana for Groceries/supplies and we were set for the week. If you don’t feel like going to town for supper, you can try Elvira (the one on the beach) …just go down the stairs to beach, hang left for a 3 mins walk and the waiters are always there on beach waiting for customers. Nice little family restaurant, tables on the beach, ocean view, really nice (try the coconut shrimps)

Odds and ends
Yes, there were mosquitoes, they do gas the bushes but I don’t think it was working well (pack some repellent with DEET in it)
Construction was active at (new condo complex right beside Intrawest), noise would start at 8:00AM every morning.
We had a Jelly fish day, I assumed there was a storm out at sea during the night and currents brought hundreds of tiny dead ones on the beach….
Taxi is 60 pesos with AC and 40 pesos with no AC (depends on the mood of the driver hehe)
ATM’s I always use the ones at the Mexicana groceries store easy access and safe
We had 2-3 bags of toys/gifts for local children, we had our little ones 7 and 10 distribute them to kids in town, was a great life lesson for our kids.

For security well that’s always media and Gov driven so you be the judge of that. We walked with kids at night in town all week, no problems whatsoever. It all comes down to being alert and use common sense, remember you’re a guest! Behave like one : )

Was a great week, I’m sold, will go back for sure.

• Stayed April 2012, travelled with friends