“Just as I remembered it....sunset beautiful”

La Palapa Restaurant
Reserve with OpenTable
La Palapa Restaurant is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #53 of 1,188 Restaurants in Puerto Vallarta
Price range: US$ 6 - US$ 29
Cuisines: Mexican
Good for: Business meetings, Groups, Local cuisine, Special Occasion Dining, Romantic
Dining options: Lunch, Breakfast, After-hours, Dinner, Delivery, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Cross street: Amapas
Description: La Palapa Restaurant combines gourmet cuisine, friendly service, and the tropical setting of Los Muertos Beach to achieve the perfect balance between fine dining and the warmth and charm characteristic of Puerto Vallarta, Mexico. Located on Playa Los Muertos in the heart of the Romantic Zone, this popular restaurant is one of Vallarta's favorite places to enjoy great food in a casually elegant atmosphere. At La Palapa, you will discover all of the ingredients to a perfect dining experience - a relaxed atmosphere, attentive service, fine wines and fabulous food. No matter what the occassion, from breakfast with business associates or lunch with friends to a romantic dinner for two, La Palapa defines fine dining in Puerto Vallarta.
Reviewed 6 April 2018

On March 4 I decided to take my partner to a place that I visited 23yrs ago when I was a Cruise Director. La Palapa always held a sentimental memory in my heart.
We had the best view of the sunset as in the past and shared it with my partner Ryzsard. Wow...
Food was outstanding...sure portions are smaller but economics plays a part and it favoured my waist line lol...
The night ended on a sour note and I still feel unsettled. Throughout the night our waiter seemed off. I hate to assume but I felt that he was uncomfortable serving us and those around us. It was predominantly gay friendly clientele.
That said I asked for our bill on three separate occasions over a course of one hour and ten minutes. Finally, I asked the bus boy and he directed us to the Manageress, who proceed to tell us that La Palapa apogized for the inconvenience and there was no bill?!
Yes, we were in a rush and straight forward asking why it took so long but we’re ready to pay. We also attempted to offer a tip to the staff. She explained that it was not necessary. We were a little confused. I’m hoping the waiter was not reprimanded. As we exited the restaurant we saw the busboy and gave him a large tip.
I want to thank the staff and management for this and we will return to your restaurant.
I highly recommend this place for a treat. Of course we all have our bad days but hopefully they can turn it around and use it as a learning tool. Meh, call me overly positive.
Mucho Gracias, until next year.

Reviewed 6 April 2018 via mobile

The atmosphere is very relaxed and you get a beautiful view of the ocean at night, however the food was pretty expensive and the portion size did not compare to other places. The food came slow because it was very busy. This restaurant is good for an intimate candlelit meal, but I would not go with a big group of people.

Reviewed 5 April 2018

We often holiday in PV and usually go to La Palapa Restaurant on the last evening for a real spoil. the last 3 years have been disappointing and it seems to be getting progressively worse. This last visit my wife and daughter were going to split a salad for starter as well as a main. They asked the waiter to plate in the kitchen. This was not to be and when asked again they simply gave my wife a side plate to split it. The main which was fish was served in a soup plate which looked like goulash! The desert was also terrible. We will find a new restaurant for our next visit!!

Reviewed 5 April 2018

You know how exhausting the whole travel day is - early wake-up, shuttle to the airport, TSA, etc. Well, we often just order room service once we finally settle in, but this time we'd chosen a condo for our first week in P.V., and HAD to go out. We remembered La Palapa from a previous trip, so wandered in after we were told it would be a 30 minute wait at their competitor across the street. La Palapa found room for us at their bar and made a table available shortly thereafter. We enjoyed delicious cocktails while waiting, and a really talented duo of guitarists/vocalists who kept the music coming all night. Our meals were delicious and the service was perfect. Just made for one of those memorable, "ahhhhh" experiences where the stress of travel (and life back home) just melts away. It was a terrific way to begin our two weeks in paradise.

Reviewed 3 April 2018

Directly next door to Si Senor is yet another excellent seafood restaurant - La Palapa. This restaurant did not disappoint, and served us the freshest seafood caught earlier in the day that is never frozen. We travel to PVR every year for the past four years, and never go all-inclusive at our hotel as there are just too many excellent restaurants we enjoy dining at with our friends year after year. La Palapa was a first time visit for us this year, and I have to say that it lived up to its reputation and recommendation from our hotel concierge.

Drinks to start off with were excellent, with a lot of fresh fruit margaritas making their way to our table. For starters, we opted for a bowl of tortilla soup that was out of this world. An excellent broth-based soup with all natural ingredients, avocado, chicken, fresh cilantro, and tortilla strips across the top with a hint of lime infused in the broth.
This soup was to die for and a must try on my list.

The coconut shrimp entrees we ordered were equally tasty, with just enough large shrimp to on the plate to satisfy one's hunger. We ordered a bottle of Mexican cabernet wine that really complimented our entrees.

Service is always high on my list and can add or detract from a dining experience. The servers were incredibly attentive and spot on with timely delivery of food and drinks. This service, combined with the high-quality seafood served by La Palapa makes for a truly memorable dining experience. This is the only restaurant on my 9-day trip that I would have to say was rather on the pricey side of all the restaurants were dined in, but in the end I thought it was well worth the visit. I would recommend this restaurant for the food and service first and foremost, but there are other seafood establishments that will serve similar food for just a bit less if you are cost conscious. I would not hesitate to return here next year, as the most spectacular part of the whole experience is actually having diner on the beach with friends. Buen provecho!