“Exactly what we were looking for!”
Review of Hotel Yatzil

Hotel Yatzil
Ranked #118 of 125 Hotels in Puerto Vallarta
Albuquerque, New Mexico
“Exactly what we were looking for!”
Reviewed 30 January 2008

Well, if you are looking for an upscale American type hotel, do not stay here and give it a bad review. If you are looking for Mexican hospitality, with all the great and quirky Mexican ingenuity, style and ambiance - this is it. The hotel is older and not everything is perfect, but this did not affect our stay in any way.

We had spent five days north of Puerto Vallarta in both Sayulita and San Blas. We decided to head south for our last two days to be closer to the airport. Puerta Vallarta was so hustle and bustle it creeped me out. We had to get out of there and we remembered from a previous visit that the area a several (15 minutes) kilometers south was more remote and quiet. We headed south thinking that the place we would like to stay at would become apparent when we saw it. After passing by several large condo/timeshare type places we were almost out of beach, just about 1 or 2 kilometers before the road took off over the hills and into the jungle. There - in between Mismaloya and Boco de Tamatlán - was Mar Sereno. We found home! The view was unrivaled. The quiet - ahhh. The breeze in the comfy lobby - perfecto.

The room we chose was a standard, two double beds, bathroom with small shower, toilet and sink, and another sink and counter in the bedroom. The toilet area got wet when we took a shower, but so what? It was clean. Some of the lighting was a bit funky and it took a few momentos to figure which switch operated what, but that worked out.

The beds were hard for sitting and reading, but ok to sleep. I found every bed in Mexico - for the last ten years - to be too firm for me - as I am now used to a Tempurpedic. But would I spend double or triple to have that instead of a real Mexico experience? No. We had our own veranda with tables and chairs off the bedroom. When we needed another chair in the bedroom - we brought one in. It was the smallest room they had - but very spacious for two.

The style of this hotel is a perfect example of Mexico. Tile and carved wood everywhere. Laid back atmosphere. The staff could not have been better. Oscar- there in the early day doesn't speak a lot of english, but is very friendly and helpful. You can find out what you need. In the late afternoon, the most excellente Martín comes in. His english is very good. He will help you with anything you need - will call ahead to make sure someone will stay open to serve you dinner - We Loved Primativo in Boco de Tamatlán, one minute down the road.

Your car is secure here. You can also take a bus to get here. Buses run often and taxis are available.

I can't say enough good about this place. The pool area is clean and pretty with still that incredible view. We stayed on the second floor in 202, which is the third floor according to the button on the elevator, and two floors below the first floor. Yep - you read that right. Yep - it's what I love about the Mexico experience!

I have an Inn in ABQ NM. I know a good experience from a bad one. Come here expecting the Hilton and you will be disappointed. Come here expecting a real Mexico experience, you will get it and will want to come back as we do. And next time we'll stay longer.

Oh yeah - the water taxis to Quimixto with the waterfall, and Yelapa are just a minute from Mar Sereno by car, and not to far to walk, but I wouldn't walk it at night. People drive crazy down here and night time is REALLY dark. You are right on the edge of the jungle. There are many outdoor adventures in this area too. I will post photos if I can when I get home.

S & R from ABQ

• Liked — Friendly and beautiful
  • Disliked — not one thing
  • Stayed January 2008, travelled as a couple
4 Thank ABQSadieJane
Turn Your Opinions into Points!
Turn your opinions into JPMiles
Turn your opinions into PAYBACK Points
*You can enroll in only one programme at a time to earn rewards for reviews.
JPMiles / Payback Arrow
JPMiles / PAYBACK

Business
Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room Tips
Timbuktu, Mali
Reviewed 8 January 2008

We found Mar Sereno on TripAdvisor and were well aware of the type of hotel we were visiting. We have traveled a fair amount and have stayed at a number of mid-range hotels in both Latin America and Europe.

The hotel staff and location deserve an "Excellent" rating. Miguel was especially helpful and informative. The location can't be beat since you're literally right on top of the water. We didn't rent a car but, the bus system was so easy and affordable, we never missed it!

The hotel restaurant was OK. Great view of the water and a very nice cook/waiter (can't remember his name). The hotel does have wireless internet in the lobby and doesn't charge for access.

On the downside, the hotel rooms are very sparse. We would have appreciated having a few more chairs. The kitchenette was dirty and moldy. As previous posters have stated, the beds are very hard. I didn't think it would be an issue but by the 3rd night, my back was killing me.

But, the worst part of the trip were the bathrooms. There was a noticeable stench throughout our 3-night stay. It was like an outhouse. I covered my face with my shirt everytime I had to visit!
Not sure if every room was like this but it ruined our stay. I would avoid rooms 401 and 403.

As for things to do:

1) Restaurants - Great -Tony's Hideaway in Mismaloya and Cafe Primitive in Boca. Average - Cafe Iguana (we heard it was closing).
2) Excursions - We hired a boat in Mismaloya to take us down the coast to visit Yelapa. The driver was very informative and friendly and spent almost 5 hours with us taking us to little spots. It cost us $180 US for a group of 8 so, it was a great deal.

• Liked — The staff, especially Miguel
  • Disliked — The bathrooms and sparseness of the rooms.
  • Stayed December 2007, travelled with family
2 Thank Bill L

Travellers are raving about these Puerto Vallarta hotels

SAN FERNANDO VALLEY
Reviewed 24 November 2007

We found the mar sereno three years ago and now make it a regular part of our mexico travel plans , we bring friends and they never are neg. about the conditions. The hotel is not the ritz its what it is a real mexico hotel that has a view and location to die for . If your a travel snob don't go but if you love the real people and unreal location , with mother nature all around you this is the place and the prices are great. Also if you get Fernando, the cook in the patio cafe , and can tell him what you want ( spanish is needed) he can make you great meals in a very small and modest kitchen that are a steal. Everyone here is only interested in making the guests happy , and they have succeeded with my wife and i for the last three years , i hope to be back for many years to come and repeat one more time that if you want mother nature and seclusion this is the place and someday the renov. work will get done( in a mexiccan minute. bill& linda

Stayed November 2007
2 Thank VALLEYBOY60
Rome, Italy
Reviewed 12 September 2007

I was in Puerto Vallarta only 2 nights on October 2005, on our tour of north-west part of Mexico (from Mexico City to Nuevo Laredo).
We din't booked our stay in advance, but we find this hotel on the way.
The location of the hotel is wonderful, with a memorable ocean view. The hotel and the rooms are furnished with Mexican woods carvings. The pool is great, with spectacular surrondings.
Our room was very big, clean, with wonderful view, but not renovated.
Breakfast in the morning was really poor!
The rate was absolutely reasonable!
The only problem is: The hotel need some renovations! (big renovation!).
Sorry if my english is not perfect.

• Liked — Ocean view
  • Disliked — It is an old building: needs some renovations!
  • Stayed October 2005, travelled with friends
3 Thank FedericaRoma_Italy
Anchorage, AK
Reviewed 26 March 2007

Saw the above review and wanted to provide a contrasting perspective on the Mar Sereno. My wife and I recently spent two weeks in two different resort hotels in both Nuevo and Puerto Vallarta, and without getting into too many editorial comments on that scene, we'd seen about all we needed to see of that, so we went looking for something a little more our speed. We found it at the Mar Sereno. The hotel still appears to be undergoing some renovation, but we certainly did not encounter the conditions described by the previous reviewer. Our room was gigantic, with windows on three sides, an unbelievable ocean view (I believe all the rooms face the ocean), and the friendliest staff I have encountered in Vallarta. The rate was very agreeable as well.
A final thought: This hotel is one of the most memorable hotels I have stayed in in all of my travels in Mexico, and it is an authentic Old Mexican hotel. If your tastes tend more toward the type of hotel that allows you to forget that you've ever left town, this one may not be for you. If you like the real thing, try the Mar Sereno. We will certainly be back.

• Liked — View, Staff, Price, Atmosphere
  • Stayed March 2007, travelled as a couple