“Nice location! Accommodations are just okay.”

Playa Del Sol Los Muertos Beach
Ranked #105 of 125 Hotels in Puerto Vallarta
Littleton, Colorado
“Nice location! Accommodations are just okay.”
Reviewed 20 December 2007

We stayed eight days at the Playa del Sol and had a nice time. We had unit 601A and it's a nice unit for up to 4 people. I highly recommend using an agency to rent out a unit at this or any other time share type property. We used pvrpv and they were able to secure the exact unit that we wanted on the ocean front side of this property. When I contacted the reservations desk directly, they weren't able to offer me a better rate or a guaranteed ocean front room.

The facilities were safe and mostly clean. I suspect that every unit is different in terms of quality of furnishings/fixtures. Unit 601A needs some updating in terms of furniture and bedding but it was acceptable. The balcony furniture was terrible/unusable and desperately needs to be replaced. The pool was marginal -- it had some mold around the outside edges that could easily be cleaned up by the staff with a simple daily scrub. There's no in-room safe, but there are deposit boxes available. They did attempt to sell us the time-share option, but we just politely declined and it wasn't a problem. Note that the September heat is really oppressive!

Overall, this is a great location and the oceanfront rooms are quiet and have wonderful views and easy beach access. Try the Kit Kat Club for breakfast. It's wonderful and just a block away.

• Liked — Location, Location
  • Disliked — the balcony furniture
  • Stayed September 2007, travelled as a couple
3 Thank mile high traveler
Turn Your Opinions into Points!
Turn your opinions into JPMiles
Turn your opinions into PAYBACK Points
*You can enroll in only one programme at a time to earn rewards for reviews.
JPMiles / Payback Arrow
JPMiles / PAYBACK

Business
San Francisco
Reviewed 1 December 2007

I am an owner at Playa del Sol. I purchased a timeshare in 2002, not knowing what I was getting myself into. I have since discovered that much of what I was told during the sales presentation was not true. I was told I could easily resell my timeshare, and given a list of companies to help with that - these all turned out to be frauds. I was told that I could rent my weeks, but it turns out that I have to pay in order to do that and in the end, barely make back my yearly maintenance fee. But the final straw happened when I called to book some weeks for friends who want to come to PV while I am there in June '08. I was told that they are no longer accepting reservations for Playa del Sol Los Muertos. When I said that I already had a reservation, I was told that it has since been taken off the market. I have since been told that they are renovating the property and do not want to inconvenience guests with the noise - but, I AM STAYING THERE! I was told that they are not accepting new reservations, but was offered the option of renting nights for my friends at the regular rental rate of over $180 per night! There never seems to be an end to the surprises with Playa del Sol. I'd stay away from them, and check carefully for other complaints online. Better to go with a timeshare company that has a decent reputation and does not allow these kinds of practices.

• Liked — the location
  • Disliked — the timeshare scam
  • Stayed June 2006, travelled solo
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
9 Thank nelson1610

Travellers are raving about these Puerto Vallarta hotels

Texas
Reviewed 4 September 2007

We spent a week at the Playa Del Sol Los Muertos in July (10-17). I checked on Travel Advisor for several weeks prior to vacation, and I admit I wasn't too sure of how the hotel would measure up. Most of the reviews were very good, but one in particular had me worried. But our plans were made, and so we went! We landed on time and took the previously contracted shuttle straight to the hotel. We arrived at the hotel about 1:00 pm - quite a bit before check-in. They suggested we get a bite to eat or go swim for a bit, then come back. They took our luggage up to a room for us and we set out to town. We ate lunch at a local restaurant and returned to the hotel. Our room was ready, and we were happy to have an oceanfront two bedroom. While some of the furniture might need some updating, the overall facilities were quite nice. We had six adults - the maid (Isabel) did a great job keeping up with all of us - that wasn't easy! Any time we needed something, we just called the front desk (it seemed Lourdes was there the most and she was wonderful), and they were more than happy to help. They called cabs for us, answered questions, and were eager to supply any items we requested. All of the employees were friendly and constantly working to keep the common areas clean. The pool is somewhat on the small side, but we spent time cooling off after the beach and meeting other guests - it's the perfect play pool. The bar, La Pirata, was very good. The waiter was very attentive and we enjoyed drinks and snacks on the beach about every other day! As for the peddlers, it was somewhat of a nuisance, but by the end of the trip, we learned to laugh and watch those who stopped each and every one and didn't buy a thing!! Puerto Vallarta is such a neat place. There is a lot to see if you give yourself the time - ride the local buses - explore the side streets. I was quite surprised at how large a place Puerto Vallarta is! We all enjoyed our stay at the Playa Del Sol Los Muertos. It's not far from town, the Malecon, and within walking distance of quite a few restaurants. Overall, we were very pleased with the service and would recommend this hotel. By the way - we are not owners of Playa Del Sol, but requested an ocean view prior to and upon arrival. Also, the review that scared me...well, it seems Playa Del Sol management must read their reviews. They responded to the review, and I was very pleased to see they take these comments to heart. Thanks for a great stay!

• Liked — The View!
  • Stayed July 2007, travelled with family
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
2 Thank KSPAG728
California
Reviewed 16 August 2007

My friend and I, along with our 3 teenagers stayed at Playa del Sol from June 19-25. We couldn't have asked for a better location or property. The staff was friendly and helpful. The only time there was even a hint of a timeshare presentation was from the concierge, who quickly backed off when we stated we didn't want to spend our precious vacation time at a presentation.

I'm very surprised at the very negative review from a guest who apparently stayed during the same time we did. We recieved an ocean front suite (room 301, I believe) and we are definitely not owners! Yes, one day, the pool was a bit green. The following day it had been cleared up considerably and the day after that it was perfectly blue. We never heard construction noise but did see the building under construction outside our front door. One day, during our stay, there was a notice that a fumigation would take place but we had activities away from the unit and when we returned, there was no odor or any evidence it had even been done (although, I presume it had). I'm delighted to say that we never saw any bugs! Housekeeping was wonderful!!!! Trust me, with 3 teenagers, their job was not made easy. Yet we came back to a spotlessly clean unit, complete with towel animal sculptures!

If there is any kind of negative - and it really isn't - it was that the room safe was not operable. The front desk accomodated us with a safe-deposit box located behind the front lobby. This was only a few steps from our front door and there was always someone immediately available to help us access it whenever we needed to.

We accessed the beach by going through the pool area and down the steps. You don't need to go through the garage if you don't want to. And speaking of the pool, lounge chairs were always available (nothing I hate worse than having to get up early to "claim" a pool chair!)

A money exchange and a convenience store were located across the street. Hundreds of choices of restaurants are located within walking distance. Los Muertos beach with parasailing, waterskis, restaurants and beach vendors was a delight and right at our feet. Next time, I'm going to be sure to buy some pastries from the vendor who walks the walkway every morning. I heard they were delicious!

I will definitely stay again at Playa del Sol.

• Liked — Location and Mexican decor
  • Stayed June 2007, travelled with family
1 Thank deSchenke
Austin, Texas
Reviewed 11 August 2007

The staff was so incredibly helpful that each one of the four of us brought it up separately wondering if the others were noticing the same thing. The front desk, the maids, EVERYONE went above and beyond. The restaurant was great. Service was far above par. Our waiter, Alejandro (Alex) deserves special mention for going so far out of his way to help us. He was, well, great isn't a big enough word! Our rooms were spotlessly cleaned each day, the pool was clean and BLUE not green, and we were never approached again after one "No, gracias" to the time share people. I do not like condos and don't stay in beach front hotels usually because I like to stay in a less touristy area when in Mexico but this hotel was just charming. The view, the beach, every part - it was just great. Oh, and there is an elevator right in the middle of the building!

• Liked — The employees, the quaint cobblestone roads, the old Mexico charm
  • Disliked — The hard beds...but they are all like that in Mexico.
  • Stayed July 2007, travelled with friends