Canto Del Sol Plaza Vallarta
US$ 338
Bookit.com
Sunset Plaza Beach Resort & Spa(Puerto Vallarta)(Great Value!)
US$ 312
US$ 212
Bookit.com
Now Amber Puerto Vallarta(Puerto Vallarta)
US$ 631
US$ 305
  • Beachfront
Villa Premiere Boutique Hotel & Romantic Getaway(Puerto Vallarta)(Great Value!)
US$ 288
US$ 276
US$ 472
US$ 251
  • Pool
Barcelo Puerto Vallarta(Puerto Vallarta)(Great Value!)
US$ 398
US$ 197
  • Breakfast included
Hotel Mousai(Puerto Vallarta)
US$ 408
US$ 370
  • Pool
Marriott Puerto Vallarta Resort & Spa(Puerto Vallarta)(Great Value!)
US$ 195
Casa Velas(Puerto Vallarta)
US$ 536
US$ 487
2,784 results
All reviewssurf and turfsnack bartennis courtsa la carte restaurantsguest servicestime sharethomson repspanish coffeebuffet restaurantshrimp tacosactivities staffpool viewtowel cardsmain buffetevening entertainmentnightly showssmaller resort
FilterAll languages
Reviewed 3 weeks ago

We had a wonderful week here, the first time for the Canto. It was a peaceful, quiet place for us and we loved our time there. We loved the fact that the pool was warm and that a palm tree provided shade within the pool. There was nice music being played around the pool that was very calm for the most part. For the Aquafit and other activities it did get pumped up a bit more, but generally it was a very calm, relaxing hotel for us.
We never really had any luck at the beach trying to get beach chairs in the shade and that wasn't great. We would have loved to just spend an hour or two in a beach lounger, (or even chairs), but we only had shade one afternoon while sitting on two chairs really close to a couple of ladies who allowed us to enjoy the shade of their palapa, (thanks again). The saving of lounge chairs is a pain. The smoking at the beach is also a pain. The smokers gather at the bottom of the stairs entering the beach and smoke there. Cough, cough, choke. It is hard on us who do not smoke. Wish that smokers would be relegated to going over to the rock outcropping areas and smoke there as it would be away from us who can't tolerate the smell.
I want my review to reflect on the food. It was delicious, from breakfast at the buffet to the lunch and dinners, all very good. We ate at the Mexican, delicious. And we ate at the Italian, (not my taste), but my husband thought it was delicious. He had some mahi-mahi tuna that he loved. We both eat gluten free and try very hard to not make mistakes. The Mexican was easy to have GF, and delicious. The Italian restaurant I found we had to rework a dish or two because that restaurant did not have much to offer GF. Our smoked salmon appetizer would have been sitting on a nice piece of bread, and I know the waiter was surprised when we asked for it plain, but we got it just plated plain and we loved it. We would have really enjoyed the Surf and Turf on the oceanfront but did not get a reservation. That looked so romantic! Beautifully done!
One thing that was important to note is that I am very careful with watching for everything that is GF and they do have everything labeled, but one night two things were incorrectly labeled. One was a seafood pasta dish and another was a beef-type stew or ragout. I called someone on it and they really looked at me carefully to see if I was being serious, then realized I was telling the truth. Those two GF labeled dishes could have made someone very sick, but thankfully it was early when I found it. As well, there are a lot of nice things on the salad table that are GF but not labeled. Just be wise and use your common sense with celiac or GF and you will stay well. They sure try to do a great job for us and it is appreciated! My husband would have liked a few more desserts; either jello or creme caramel most nights. (Missed GF chocolate anything!)
Hey, we loved that there was a time, mid-day, maybe about 1:00pm where the staff comes out from all over, from the cleaning, some from the kitchen, some servers, gardeners etc. and from all areas and they do something really special. I found myself tearing up...it was moving to me that the hotel had everyone involved. It was apparent that the Hotel believed in, and was thoughtful to their employees. You could see that the employees felt as valuable as all of us travellers believed they were.
We went to the evening show one night and it was not the best show. Have been to many resorts where the entertainment is great, but this hotel does not have great entertainment. Sorry Canto.
Loved this hotel. Have only been away for about 2 weeks and we are already trying to get back there. Such a sweet, special place for a romantic getaway for us.
It is not a place that seems to party, so maybe go elsewhere if that is your idea of a fun holiday. This place is not it.

Stayed: March 2018, travelled as a couple
3  Thank bluewatergirll
Canto_Del_Sol-Team, Guest Service Manager at Canto Del Sol Plaza Vallarta, responded to this reviewResponded 2 weeks ago

Dear bluewatergirll

From now on we are taking note of your suggestions and comments. Of course, thank you very much for taking the time to write about your experience with us as it gives us the opportunity to improve.

I hope you give us another opportunity to serve you as you deserve.

Reviewed 3 weeks ago

After reading many reviews on TA about this property, I will say that the experience at the property was as expected.

Rooms are nothing spectacular; plastic hangars in closet, really small bathroom; basic amenities. Nothing wrong with them per se and very clean; but definitely the bare minimum and I'd skip this resort if room quality is your most important thing. We opted for oceanview in our reservation and there was a small balcony with 2 chairs without requesting this. Bed firmness was fine and didn't seem unusually hard.

Restaurants were very good; most meals were at the buffet and there is something for everyone. Salad bar; 15-20 hot items; 2 to 3 omelette or taco stations going. Never had to wait for any food. Larger resorts may have a little more varied buffet (for ex, no sushi or crepes here); but Canto Del Sol got the basics done just fine. Cevicheria was great option between big breakfast and dinner. No one in our group had any illness over 7 days.

Pools and bars were really good at this resort and as good as many places I've stayed. There are a good number of chairs here for the hotel size and never felt obliged to play chair game. I would guess that of ~100 chairs by pool; 1/3 were reserved by 9AM. Between noon and 2, all were being used and by 2PM some chairs started to become available. We did see some people have their stuff moved by staff so there is some policing, but it's not hardcore. Overplaying of Creedence is the only knock on main pool bar. We never had the need/desire to go to the second ppol.

Activity staff did a great job of offering up activities all day, but never felt pressured or shamed into any activity. Our kids never did the kids club, but even at the pool, there were 2 or 3 kid activities through the day. Beach volleyball popped up everyday at 11a and 4p at the court just north of Canada del Sol.

The hotel location is in the residential part of the city; but immediately surrounding the resort are simple shops, spa message places and farmacia. Fine for basics and very safe, but we preferred going downtown PV for walking/shopping/eating. After spending some time in downtown PV, which is a little more crowded/frantic, we were happy to get back to Canto where there is more elbow room and serenity.

Service and staff were outstanding here esp. Jorge and Kevin. There was nighttime entertainment each night with hits and misses.

Overall, this property is great choice for those who want relaxing but friendly resort with close access to downtown PV. If you want big resort feel with tons of activity options, big beach experience and not looking to leave the resort, look further north by Nuevo. If you plan to spend a lot of time walking the streets of PV, I would stay further south in the heart of PV. If you want luxurious hotel room or party scene, I would pass on this place.

• Stayed: March 2018, travelled with family
3  Thank LouieRocco

Dear LouieRocco

Glad to know that your stay with us was pleasant. Hope to see you back here soon!

Reviewed 3 weeks ago via mobile

We were pleasantly surprised after a couple days at this resort. First impression, due to the worn outdated furniture in the lobby, was that we had made an error booking this hotel. Even our room was not as they show on Air Canada website as it was also extremely old. However, after settling in we really started to like the place. Our room was definitely dated but very very clean and comfy. The bed was a bit hard to my liking but upon request, they brought us a foam pad which made a huge difference.

The staff here is amazing in every area of the facility. We have never experienced such friendly efficient service. The waiters on the beach were there at least twice hourly for drink orders and so happy to serve you. The beach itself is not great and I would not recommend swimming as there are big sharp rocks that will do a job on you. It is also not good for walking as the sand is very coarse and gritty.

The food is very good, especially the Italian and Surf and Turf. Our fav was the Italian. The food, presentation and staff there are wonderful. . Daniel and Eliazar are simply the best. We loved that we could order lunch and breakfast a la cart from the snack bar which overlooks the ocean. Beautiful!!!!!

The lobby bar is a busy place and they mix a great drink....especially the Caesars!!!! We loved Leo....always smiling!!!

I must comment on how there was not a lot of tipping going on anywhere on the resort. This is upsetting to us as the staff here go above and beyond to please you. They never look for a tip but a few pesos would mean so much to them.

One last comment, if you need any info re PV or anything else Salvador in the lobby speaks perfect English and ever so friendly and helpful.

We would likely not return because we are beach people and love to swim in the ocean and the resort is just not good for that purpose. Otherwise, a very good bang for your buck.

Stayed: March 2018, travelled as a couple
2  Thank bdfritz

Dear bdfritz

I am very happy to read your comment. I can say that I agree that the service we offer would not find it so easy elsewhere since we are passionate about the service, it is very nice when someone recognizes it. That's why the staff is our most precious treasure.

We hope to serve you again soon

Reviewed 3 weeks ago

Spent a week here on a late deal, cheaper than Tenerife!!!

On arrival check in very easy, cases arrived at hotel room no issues
Hotel room slightly dated, very clean no view as was facing the next door hotel, clean towels and sheets when needed air con worked really well

Pool area spotlessly clean, there was never a fight over the loungers always got one, pool bar good drinks all named brand if asked for

3 x a la carte restaurants. Only only managed to get 1 booked, Mexican restaurant steak was amazing but felt slightly rushed when the main meals came out with starters

Buffet restaurant- breakfast was great, everything you could wish for, cooking stations for eggs and omelettes, in the evening quite samey food, no variety but always something to eat

Pool bar - ok but hubby was poorly after lunch eating their twice at lunch

Entertainment team work hard but there was only 1 act that wasn't the entertainment team was the mariachi band on Mexican fiesta night

All in all a good hotel and would visit again, friendly Canadians , Puerto Vallarta is amazing better than the Caribbean side, if you go between Dec and march whale watching is a must

Stayed: March 2018
4  Thank 1norfolkbroad

Dear 1norfolkbroad

Thank you very much for your comment. Apparently you had a good experience with us ... I'm very happy. About entertainment, if I agree with you that the team works hard, however we also have different options 3 days a week like live Latin music, mariachi and aquatic show, of course always with the intention of offering variety. I hope that next time we can give you a better impression about it.

Reviewed 3 weeks ago via mobile

I recently returned from a 5 day mother/daughter trip from the canto del sol. I can’t say enough good things about this place! Resort is on the smaller side but not a downfall at all! The grounds are beautifully kept, the food was amazing! We ate at the buffet which had something for everyone! We ate at the peces snack bar, the fish and shrimp tacos are a must try for everyone! And also did the Mexican and Italian a la carts, which I highly recommend as the food and service was impeccable.
Stayed in a standard 2 bed room, which was cleaned daily and was always spotless. I found the beds to be quite comfortable too.
Spent everyday out on the beach. Lounge chairs are comfortable, and wait staff every came out to deliver drinks! Beach was a little on the small side, tide came up quite high. Lots of rocks washed in at night and in the ocean there was bigger rocks that you need to watch for. Seen a couple people needing to be bandaged up from hitting the rocks.
All of the workers at the resort always had a smile on their face and were very pleasant to be around..
My only complaint is that I couldn’t stay longer! I would definitely return to Canto Del Sol.. thank you for the amazing stay ❤️

Stayed: March 2018, travelled with family
3  Thank Melissa H

Dear Melissa

Come for more of your home far away from home Canto de Sol!!