“OK but a few tips...” 3 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #64 of 127 Hotels in Puerto Vallarta
Vancouver, BC
“OK but a few tips...”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 March 2012

We booked this hotel for a quick one-week trip from Vancouver, BC. The hotel itself was clean but very tired. It is also a very looooooonnngggg hotel. They first tried to put us in a room that was about a 5 minute walk from the front desk and the pool area. Half way to the room, I commented that I would not like to stay in a room so far from the entrance of the hotel (especially since if you want anything except a drink you have to go to the hotel across the street - Canto del Sol). When we did eventually arrive at the room - the keys did not work! After trekking back to the front desk, I asked about a room closer to the pool. I was not asking for pool side, but just closer. The male front desk clerk was not cooperative at all, and asked for $40 a night to upgrade us. Back to the room we went. When I actually got into the room, it was terrible. Very old furnishings, a miniature balcony with no chairs, directly beside a giant air conditioning unit. This did not look good. Back to the front desk I go, and spoke to a woman, asking her if I could speak to a manager. She made one phone call, and handed me keys to a one-bedroom suite that was on the next floor up, but much closer to the front of the hotel. No mention of any charge whatsoever. And they were not very full - the pool never had more than 20 people at it at any time. Better to make those who stay more comfortable. I was polite and courteous at all times, which goes a long way.

If you go all-inclusive, you obtain all those services at the Canto del Sol across the street (hence the need to be close to the entrance). The pool area at Canto is lovely, the entertainment spotty but done with enthusiasm, the ala carte restaurants are very good, and the buffet restaurant has a good selection. I would say the food would be mediocre to fairly good - as I consider most all-inclusive buffets to be after a few days. They do try, and there is a nice assortment of fresh items, but after a few days it all tastes the same.

My next trip, I would just pay a bit more and stay at Canto del Sol. I get my fill of the view from the pool, so I don't really care if my room has a view. If I did stay at Canot del Sol, I would ask for a room NOT overlooking the pool. It can be a bit noisy with the activities taking place, and the 'back' side of the hotel would just be quieter. It is true that Villas Vallarta is the quieter of the 2 hotels, but there is absolutely nothing available at Villas, so you might as well be at the Canto.

Room Tip: Closer to the pool
  • Stayed February 2012, travelled with friends
5 Thank HIMetrotown
Turn Your Opinions into Points!
Turn your opinions into JPMiles
Turn your opinions into PAYBACK Points
*You can enroll in only one programme at a time to earn rewards for reviews.
JPMiles / Payback Arrow
JPMiles / PAYBACK

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (57)
Wisconsin Rapids
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 March 2012

As our main resort check-in was not until Sunday, we stayed one night (Saturday) at this hotel prior to proceeding to Neuvo Vallarta for a week.

We were happy with the check-in process, location, cleanliness and service for the price we paid. It's nothing fancy. It is obvious that the hotel is older with no apparent recent renovations, but rooms are decent sized and pool area is small. Most of the people we talked with had stayed here numerous times which, in our minds, indicates an overall consistency of service and satisfaction of guests.

A bonus was the free breakfast Sunday morning. We didn't realize this was included. Again, nothing fancy but delicious and the best fresh squeezed orange juice.

• Stayed February 2012, travelled as a couple
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
Review collected in partnership with Easytobook.com

3 Thank Jane T
Edmonton, Canada
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 14 February 2012

Stay here as a absolute last resort but do not expect a resort or service unless you are all inclusive.I have been travelling exclusively thru Expedia for over 10 years & am not a picky traveller when it comes to where I stay typically stay at a 2.5 star hotel however the Villa Vallarta by is something else. To begin with the reviews by other Expedia travellers of this hotel said they got to use the sister resort however that is not the case and if you are not on the property of the sister resort you are constantly harrassed by the ALMOST FREE Mexican vendors on the beach. The 1st room we were given was right over Golds Gym that blares their music until all hours and pigeon poop was so thick on the balcony we could not use it it was not until we asked to move & got cleaned 5 days later. No one is friendly they do not say hello other than the one concierge. The breakfast that is included is good esp the french toast however dont expect anything extra if you get Raphel as he wants to charge you extra for anything.Massages are cheap in the strip mall attached & got for $25 for 75 minutes. See Juilana as she is amazing & knows just what to do without telling her. It is in the last massage place almost across from the OXXO. Have the Chicken Parmesan at Blakes its great ate there a few times. The icecream at Dolphinys is really good too. Rhythm of the Nights tour it is great and Mr.Solutions in the complex downstairs will get you the best deal on tours.Good Holiday bad hotel.

Room Tip: not over golds gym or the alley way where dogs bark all night long
  • Stayed February 2012, travelled with family
7 Thank carrdouc
Calgary, Canada
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 February 2012

We stayed at villas vallarta for the month of jan.2012, This was previewed jan. 2011 while spending a month at canto del sol the sister property, for sleeping this was a good choice it is much quieter, however I booked a specific room by number in july 2011 reserved for jan. 2012 of course this did not happen we were sent to a room above gold gym which has music blaring very early, after alot of complaining and insisting the room I had reserved 6 months prior was the only reason for booking at Villas, they insisted the person in my reserved room booked much earlier than I did, well meeting the occupant and finding she had only booked 10 days ahead with no room preference, I accompanied her to the front desk and asked why I was lied to, very shortly they moved me to a room close to my preference, in 6 days offered the original room I had booked, by that time I was settled.with in 4 day my husband a diabetic with feet issues had his adjustable sandals stolen, which are very important to a person whos feet change sizes every hour, as we know the hotel is not responsible for loss, It was a not stop month of seeing people check in and spent days trying to change rooms, this has been a constant battle in mexico for 25 years for me, like my husband says he dont unpack for 36 hours, now we have learnt reserving a specific room number is not applicable.I found Canto del sol to have really gone dowhill this year on food quality, lack of staff, no bottled water in room.

Room Tip: Must be a poolside walkout,poolside bar closes at 6 p.m. very quiet
  • Stayed January 2012, travelled with friends
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank kay m
Chicago, IL
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 February 2012

My mom and step father had a condo across the street at canto del sol so I got a studio here. The property reminded me very much of Spain. It's older, but had a lot of character and really felt like you were in Mexico, not a luxurious hotel. The pool is nice and has a little bar there. I never really saw more than a few people in the pool. While the hotel s not right on the beach, there's a little walkway to get you there. My bed was VERY comfortable which is important. There was no hairdryer in the room, but when I called and asked for one, they brought one within 5 minutes.
The complimentary breakfast was a pleasant surprise. It was at a very nice restaurant overlooking the street. Including was fruit, rolls, eggs, omelets, french toast, etc. and the coffee was fantastic!
I spent most of my time over at the Canto del Sol, which is very nice (it's not even a real street that you cross- it's across a courtyard....very easy). see my other review for Canto.

Room Tip: Ask for a room with balcony facing the ocean.
  • Stayed January 2012, travelled with family