“BIRTHDAY VACATION - Large Group”

Now Amber Puerto Vallarta
Ranked #15 of 123 Hotels in Puerto Vallarta
GreenLeadersGold level
Reviewed 4 weeks ago

Party 20+ went to PV for my 50th. We got the all-inclusive package from cheapcarribean .com. Upgraded to the Preferred Club. NEXT TIME, we are upgrading to a swim-out suite on the Secrets side (no kids). I love kids and I LOVE this resort. Prefer adults when swimming, drinking and sunning. :D

From the moment we got there greeted by Armando with cold towels and a glass of wine, until the last hug I gave Maricela (housekeeping)...this place was exceptional.
I was treated to the Spa. THE MASSAGE WAS THE BEST I HAVE EVER HAD. Pricey, but WORTH every penny.

Hugo was our server for the majority of the trip. Hugo is by far the BEST there ever was and will be!

Yes, everything was THAT good. Just relax and let the good time roll at this place!

Additionally, I was impressed by the attention to the small children by the staff. If I had little ones, I would definitely feel at ease. As for us older kids...it was a dream!

I would pack SUNSCREEN (it's expensive to purchase), HAIR CONDITIONER (only luxurious conditioning shampoo available) and lots of swimsuits (for obvious reasons). MEN, you need to pack one pair of light pants and a shirt with short sleeves as the restaurants have different criteria.

Don't trust the internet about the weather. It was sunny, hot and beautiful. Rained only once.

Get lots of 20 & 50 Peso bills if you can for tipping. :) Remember "No gracias" when the vendors flock to you. ;)

This resort is 5 Star service, views, people, location...PERFECTION.

Thank you Now Amber Puerto Vallarta - We will be back!

Room Tip: Best staff, best views, beach access
  • Stayed: October 2017, travelled with friends
1  Thank Renee P
Turn Your Opinions into Points!
Turn your opinions into JPMiles
Turn your opinions into PAYBACK Points
*You can enroll in only one programme at a time to earn rewards for reviews.

Reviewed 4 weeks ago

There are certain things that happen when you first get there - things you can say no to, that you don't feel you can at the beginning. Like no, I don't want a tour and sales pitch, thanks though. :) Everyone was incredibly nice but I would have not felt stressed the first 24 hours if I could have went to my room and decompressed a bit and had a chance to read all the offerings before being looped into the sales pitch world. (not required by any means, but there is some pressure, we understand why.) The place was spectacular and they would have had better luck after I'd warmed up to the place! There was all the options you could possibly need, and warm and welcoming staff always available. We stayed in the preferred club and look forward to staying again - and being spoiled rotten the whole time. Overall, a perfect getaway.

Room Tip: Took us a few attempts to figure out the extra room volume control. Loved the outdoor tub!
  • Stayed: October 2017, travelled with friends
Review collected in partnership with this hotel
Reviewed 4 weeks ago via mobile

My S.O. and I stayed at Now Amber Puerto Vallarta in a Junior Suite Ocean View room Oct 1-Oct 7.
Check in: after reading other reviews, i was a little disappointed that we werent greated with a glass of wine or a drink but instead were asked which side we were staying on, had our bags tagged and then directed to the front desk for check in. However, everyone was still nice enough. Check in was just like any other hotel, verify name and reservation, given room # & a brief rundown of the resort and accomodations but then he mentioned the $200 resort credit (coupons) & handed our room keys to an AM vacations staff member stating that he was going to give us a tour of the resort. We were brought to a table and handed a bunch of papers and asked to start filling out a form that asked for cc #'s and ssn, etc. Now, we just spent 13 hours traveling, from WI which is cold in Oct, so we were in pants and long sleeves and it was 90 in PV. The hotel lobby is open air and not air conditioned and I'm sweating profusely, realizing that we're about to get stuck in a time share proposal. I asked if we could just go to our room so we could change at least and this is when they finally offered us a drink. Asking us to wait. I am about to faint at this point and still get stuck sitting there for 5 minutes before i basically have to demand the room keys because I'm about to barf. He finally let us go! We know from all the other couples we met that week, this was in fact a time a time share pitch. Some couples didnt mind as they got a free spa service out of it but please AM resorts, let your guests get comfortable first before you trick an exhausted traveler into sitting another 2 hours! Give your guests the option to schedule a better time for your "tour of the resort"!

Room: The entire resort is open air except your room, the elevator and the restaurants. It is really beautiful, on the way to your room you will get a gorgeous view of PV with the mountains in the backround. You will open your room door and the first thing you will notice is the very strong musty basement like odor. The room is beautiful and clean just like the resort pictures. Our junior suite included a king size bed, a whirlpool hot tub, a glass shower stall with a bench seat, a vanity with 2 sinks, a hair dryer, a seperate toilet room, a great big wall size mirror, ample closet space, a safe, iron/ironing board, mini fridge, coffee maker, a small flat screen tv, a desk, a lounge chair, and balcony with a table and 2 chairs. The bed and pillows were very comfortable and the room amenities were perfectly wonderful, although they absolutely need to have a dehumidifier in every room!! Apparently this is only available in the preferred sections but I wouldnt consider this an upgrade, rather a necessity due to the climate! The bedding was damp, every morning we woke up our floor was wet, it had puddles of water! Even our passports in our safe were curled up by day 2. (Tip for the ladies: bring frizz spray for your hair! It is so humid the second your done straightening or styling your hair it will frizz and poof, this was popular conversation amongst all the lady guests) Everything we brought with us had an awful musty stench when we got home, we even had to wash our "clean" unused laundry! Our luggage still stinks almost 2 weeks later. It is really bad! But we only slept in our room really, so, with all the other wonderful things this resort has to offer, its not a trip ruining thing, its just a strong suggestion to the hotel admin- dehumidifiers are needed in every room!!

Housekeeping: every single day these lovely, hard working, housekeping ladies came and cleaned our room and each time we came back it was a clean as the first day we came! They even organized our tabletops, neatly stacking sun glasses, vanity toiletries, storing our shoes neatly in the closet, hanging our garments, and even folding our laundry that was laying on the bed or chairs! The wiped the floor dry and clean every day, the room was cleaned immaculately and everything was fully restocked each and every day. I would never expect housekeeping to clean up or organize our things. They really went above and beyond!! They all deserve raises!! Of course I tipped because wow! They deserved it but not everyone tips, so AM should know they have amazing housekeepers!! Also, we were there celebrating our 2 year anniversary, and on that day, we were surprised to come back from lunch to a banner on our door, the room was decorated with rose petals & a nice bottle of wine with a chocolate desert! That was definately a very nice touch!

Room Service: our mini fridge was also fully restocked every day with bottled waters, fruit juice, soda and Corona's! Room service is available 24/7 & although you will wait 30-45 minutes to receive your order, food is delivered warm by very friendly servers, set up on the table for you. It is a limited menu but it's perfect at the end of very long day of drinks and sun or in the morning when you're feeling sluggish from yesterdays adventures!

Customer Service: aside from the initial time share push at check in the staff here are beyond exceptional! Each and every staff member is extraordinarily friendly and helpful. They smile and acknowledge you even in passing! Anything you need they are happy to help you and always respond to a thank you with "my pleasure"! I cannot possibly say enough about how wonderful all of the staff members at Now Amber are! The service workers at this resort really make the whole trip!! Forget 5, i give them 10 stars!! Special recognition to our pool 'tender Rafael! We always had a fresh drink in our hands and he was happy to bring us extras, like snacks, towels, and even bandaids when i stubbed my toes and cut them open! Rafael made our pool days exceptional! We were spoiled actually! His one day off that week, drinks were only brought to us once or twice.(seriously, we are lazy; the pool bar was merely 50-60 feet from where our chairs were but like I said, we were spoiled by Rafael)!

Pool/outdoor area: we spent most of our days in the pool. It was 90°-100°F & 85% humidity the whole time we were there, no better place to be than in the pool. They have 3 pools and a hot tub? on the Now Amber side. The kiddy pool that is shallow and has a slide. The activities pool where they do volley ball and water aerobics and the pool with the pool bar. We did not have kids with us and we're in our mid 30's so naturally we were in the pool with the bar the whole time. We got there on a Sunday and the chairs, pool area, pool and pool bar were never full or hard to find a nearby chair or space until about Thursday, it started to get packed. But, it didnt really affect us at all, who cares about beach chairs when you're in the pool the entire time anyway? The only complaint I have is that they need music playing by the pool!! The atmosphere is kind of boring with nothing going on. They did have a couple events that week that they brought out the speakers for and bumped some music and it was really so much more exciting but these events would only last about an hour and then we went back to snoring. Another recommendation for management keep music on by the pool! Or for review readers bring wireless speakers! The pool bar is stocked with everything you need and they have featured blended drinks each day like Miami Vice and Whinnie the pooh; it's always fun to try something new but don't drink them all day! Too much sugar! Think gut rot and heart burn! You can have whatever you want. The barefoot grill is by the pool too for snacks throughout the day. They have different things set out each day (its more buffet style not ala cart) like burgers, fries, mini chimichangas, etc. The food does sit out though so it's dried out and stale-ish. Not disgusting, not delicious but edible and good enough to get you through without having to change out of your swim suit to eat at the buffet.
Just a quick note about the beach: we did not use this area except one morning we decided to walk the beach. You really cannot use it comfortably as the vendors on the beach are even yelling to you in the pool from the beach trying to sell you excirsions, blankets, sun glasses, etc and they do not take no thank you for an answer. They really will not allow you to enjoy yourself or have any privacy at all. Even if you buy from one, the next two are harrassing you. So they might as well not even have a beach, its really sad and I feel bad for the poor vendors but you cannot afford to buy something from every one of them.
Food: the carnival buffet is likely where you will eat most. Its the only place to have breakfast, one of 2 places open for lunch and they have themed buffets a couple nights. We had the caribbean themed buffet and also the mexican buffet the night Tamarindo (the mexican restaurant) was closed. Honestly i prefer the option to see, choose and try different dishes over ordering ala cart so u can get something else if u dont like what ordered. The buffet is kept clean, the food is fresh and flavorful. The display was classy and beautiful and the dining area was classy as well.
We only tried 3 of the ala cart restaurants while we were there. Ill list them in the order of my favorites.
1) Castaways! I'm not a huge fan of seafood, but my S.O is, so I went here reluctantly for him. Its 5 course so you each get an appetizer, soup or salad, main course and desert. I had the shrimp tacos that I wasnt sure I would like but I absolutely loved! Shrimp is ground up into small rolled tacos smothered in a delicious white sauce! So freaking good! Tastes nothing like here in the states! The crab salad looks like a tiny pink canned ham on your plate but is amazing! And the surf and turf with steak and a white fish was to die for! For someone who doesnt like seafood, this was my best meal at Now Amber! Hands down!
2) Himitsu! My second best meal at Now Amber. We reserved a table for Hibatchi with the concerierge. (You will need to reserve a few days in advance if you want to sit at 1 or the 3 hibatchi tables) Again, a 5 course meal. The appetizer choice is either raw seafood sushi or vegetable sushi. Again, not being a fan of seafood I definately wasnt going to eat to eat raw seafood so i ordered the veg sushi. It was awesome and my S.O loved his raw sushi too! You can order soup or salad. We ordered the salads. They come with a peanut dressing and that was the bomb! Our table mates who had the soup said it was excellent as well. Main course we had the combo, steak, chicken and shrimp and fried rice! Amazing! & we were so full we skipped desert but one of the options was fried ice cream! My favorite! The hibatchi show was worth the reservation!
3) Capers. The Italian restaurant. Now, for men, be aware you have to dress in dress pants, dress shirt and dress shoes. First, it is waaaaay too friggen hot to be wearing pants and collared shirts but we suffered through it. They start you off with breads and an oil dip. I thought the oil dip was awful, it had no flavor and tasted like plain old cooking oil. The salad leaves in the salad tasted like they were just sprayed in chemicals. Yuck! For the main couse i ordered the chicken parmesian. The breaded chicken was burnt and they use a plain marinara sauce that had no flavor. It was gross. My S.O. ordered the shrimp scampi and got 2 tiny shrimp on noodles in another flavorless sauce. Both of us were very disappointed. Maybe it was a bad night but i would never bother trying it again. My worst meal at Now Amber.
We skipped the Frech restaurant on the secrets side. It's the sister to Capers. (The 2 sides are a perfect mirror) and we didnt care to dress to the nines for a french meal. What's french food anyway? The buffet food was good enough and didnt require a pants suit! Lol
Bars: so, theres the pool bar and the lobby bar. Thats it really. They have a dance club listed but this is disco lights in the kids club area and it was empty every night. So by day, we drank in the pool by night we drank in the open air lobby bar. Some nights it was dead and boring but we sat and enjoyed a few quiet drinks looking out onto the ocean. Some nights they had scheduled entertainment which definately made things more enjoyable. Note, the bar has a good selection of booze but not much for beer. They have budweiser, bud light, corona and another 2 I didnt know and dont remember. I'm usually a coors or Leinenkugels drinker, & its so hard to switch from your usual but the Corona sufficed. They also have never heard of Captain Morgan in Mexico, so, they dont have that either. Just an fyi. We're from Wisconsin and we're pretty stealthy drinkers but not very cultured drinkers. Lol
Entertainment: They put on some decent shows during the evenings. Tip: read the daily agenda they leave in your room. It took us 3 days to realize they had scheduled entertainment every night, so we missed out the first 2 night. They are so worth attending! The entertainment manager is hilarious and great with a crowd! The mexican show and the rock show were quite the experience! They really go all out! Kudos and 5 stars to the entertainment team!!
Spa: $$ expensive! A massage will run you a couple hundred US dollars. We skipped it based on other reviews and went right out the resort gaits to Healing hands and got a couples massage for 700 pesos total for both of us thats about $40 US dollars! They also offer mani/pedis, facials, etc. Its literally right outside the resort gates to the left, you cant miss it. Just steps past that on the corner is an oxxo convenience store where you can buy anything you forgot like sunscreen, toiletries, chapstick etc. You will pay inflated prices at the resort store, i think someone said $30 U.S. dollars for sunscreen at the resort!! A couple bucks at the oxxo 50 feet from the resort gate! If you arent planning to check out Malecon while your in PV (which i highly recommend) at least venture just steps around the corner from the oxxo. They have a hair salon and a bunch of shops with a ton of great souvenir options!

Check out: was listed as noon and our airport shuttle was scheduled to arrive at 1:15pm. We were beat from a long night out on the Malecon the last night and slept in until 10! (Thats very late for us) we ordered room service so we could eat lunch while we packed. Room service was backed up and didnt end up coming until noon. I was expecting we would be rushed out of our room right at noon with our luggage and room service food in hand but we were not. Room service set up our food as always and housekeeping didnt knock on the door until 12:30. She told us she was just checking to see if it was ready to be cleaned and that we had no need to rush, we were welcome to finish our food and take our time! Wow!! Again, exceptional customer service! We checked out at the front desk a bit before 1pm. Expect this to take several minutes. Turned in the room keys, they checked for extra charges and had me fill out a survey. Then outside the resort, you will store your luggage with the bell men while you wait for your transportation. Note: this area was very busy with a sea of luggage and a ton of people checking out and could have easily been chaotic but the bell men were very organized and handled this very impressively!

Side notes: as far as now amber vs secrets, the 2 are an exact replica cosmetically. I barely noticed any kids on the now amber side. They mostly stayed in the kids pool or the activities pools and i couldnt describe a single child i saw from the whole week, they were not a bother at all. So unless youre allergic to kids i dont see the need to pay the extra money for the "no kids side" aka secrets. It looked dead on that side every time i looked over there. Quite pool area, quite lobby bar. So maybe if youre allergic to action and noise, you might need to pay the extra but otherwise, save your money!! You'll want it for excursions and massages anyway!
Other couples we met who upgraded to the preferred suites had only one thing i was jealous of; the dehumidifier! Also, they had a 24/7 snack bar in the hall and a microwave they could use in the hall. ( i had to eat my hibatchi left overs cold darn it! Lol) Their whirlpool hot tub was on their balcony instead of inside. Idk why anyone would want that!! I could never sit in a hot tub in 90° weather and yes it was that hot even at night! They had a private preferred bar too but they didnt use it. They came to the lobby bar because who wants to be secluded except snobs! Well, i guess it would be nice to get mixed drink near your room but thats it. Im not disappointed i didnt upgrade us to preferred.
All in all the resort and or vacation was amazing and luxurious! We were treated like royalty at Now Amber PV and i give it 4 stars (stinky room and wet sheets with puddles on the floor es no bueno! Ive never been to a resort that doesn't play music by the pool and the deceiving handoff to Time Share rep at check in as if he's going to help you find your room is rude honestly.

Stayed: October 2017, travelled as a couple
5  Thank Nicole J
Reviewed 4 weeks ago via mobile

We were moved over to Now Amber from Sunscape after upgrading our UVC membership…and boy, am I glad that we were!!

We stayed during the first week of Oct and were given a Deluxe Ocean View room on the 15th floor. When entering the room you are immediately greeted with the cool AC! Then you look up and out through the glass sliding doors – such an amazing view overlooking the pools and ocean. At times, there were no boats, jet skiis or people in the water, and all you saw was the vast ocean—almost never ending and extended as far as the eye can see. Our first night, there were lightning storms that seemed constant. We just drew back the curtains and watched like they were fireworks. The room was very modern and used tasteful wood accents for décor. I had my 2 kids with me (ages 6 & 8), so we had 2 double beds. The room was still very spacious, calming and inviting.

The kids took advantage of the Explorer’s Club that they have on the resort. They were able to play games, do arts and crafts, and have different sports lessons. The kids loved the tennis one. My husband and I also took advantage while the kids were at the Explorer’s Club!

Himitsu – their Asain fusion restaurant has an adults only indoor seating section, but beware! Attire is formal – meaning slacks, collared shirt, and dress shoes for the men. With PV’s humid weather, my husband did not pack any of those! We still enjoyed the tasty food in their less formal, outdoor seating area which was cool in itself with sunken tables. We ate here more than once. It is that good!

Now Amber has 4 pools, one with a waterslide. When in the pool with the swim up bar, look for Eduardo! He is such a great guy and great bartender! The resort is lucky to have him. Not only did he take care of me and my husband, he made sure the kids were always hydrated with their drinks too.If in the Preferred Lounge, look for Juan at the bar. He made sure we never had an empty cup!

There were a few drawbacks about our stay. One, the beach was super rocky and made it hard to get in the water. Second, Now does not provide water activities (kayaks, paddleboards, body boards) to their Preferred or UVC members. Other AMResorts like Secrets (right next door and shares restaurants and the spa with Now) and Sunscape allow use of these for free to their guests.

Overall, this is an excellent resort for people of all ages. The service is outstanding and the environment is friendly. I would definitely come back to this resort!

Stayed: October 2017, travelled with family
Reviewed 4 weeks ago

We just came back from this resort and had a great experience. We have been in various resorts in the past but this one is worth leaving a comment/review. The beach is beautiful and service was amazing. The staff was very friendly, and most speak perfectly good English. Just a few names to look for when you're there. Ask for them and they will take good care of you.
Junior (beach/pool waiter)
Cesar(restaurant waiter)
Miguel(restaurant waiter)
We also met Aldo and Panda who were on the entertainment team who made our days so much fun.

Room Tip: We love our view from the 11th floor.
  • Stayed: October 2017, travelled as a couple