“The place to stay!”
Review of Vallarta Shores

Vallarta Shores
Ranked #4 of 123 Hotels in Puerto Vallarta
Reviewed 12 February 2012

We just returned from our 11Th visit to Vallarta Shores. We stayed a total of 17 days. The first 7 nights in Penthouse A with family and friends. For the final 10 days (with our company gone) we moved to Suite #4, a beautiful spacious room with a wonderful view of the beach. You are just steps away from the ocean.

We loved the private balcony, a perfect place to have a meal, drink, read a book, or just people watch. We actually sighted whales several times breaching not 200 yards from our balcony! With the sounds of the waves and the ocean breeze, it was a wonderful, romantic vacation.

Jorge, Ruben & staff are fantastic people. They make Vallatra Shores the place to stay while in PV. The take such great care of us. We have already booked our vacation for next year with them.

Room Tip: We loved Suite #4
  • Stayed: January 2012, travelled as a couple
4  Thank 2KOOKS
Turn Your Opinions into Points!
Turn your opinions into JPMiles
Turn your opinions into PAYBACK Points
*You can enroll in only one programme at a time to earn rewards for reviews.

Reviewed 10 February 2012

Just returned from a week stay at Vallarta Shores (in one of the 3 bedroom Penthouses) and it was one of the best vacations ever! The open air unit was incredible and was so conducive to relaxing. Each bedroom and bathroom was extremely spacious and clean, and the private pool was the icing on the cake. One of the best parts of the experience was having an incredible chef (Rodrico) - who made us wonderful meals each day. All the staff at Vallarta Shores were very pleasant and helpful. We loved the place so much that upon our departure, we reserved the same unit for next year!

• Stayed: January 2012, travelled with friends
3  Thank Peter C
Reviewed 26 January 2012

I am going to start off this review misstating I will without a doubt stay at Vallartta shores again. To begin the location is perfect. Sitting only feet away of Los Muertos beach. Even though this is located at one of the busiest beaches this is in a quiet location.

I stayed into rooms. I stayed in Suite 4 and penthouse B. I will begin with Suite 4. The room is huge. It has a great kitchen area fully stocked with plates and every kitchen item you would need. The room is decorated in the Mexican-style. To me that is a positive. I prefer something that looks less like something from Miami Beach and something that looks like it belongs in Mexico. The bedroom was large and the bed was comfortable. My only major complaint about this room is the horrible musty be odor. It hits you as soon as you open the door.

For the majority my trip we stayed in the penthouse B. The outdoor space here is incredible. A large open kitchen with a breakfast bar. Full-size refrigerator and all major appliances except for a dishwasher. Was not all that important because one of the amenities to renting the penthouse is your own private chef. Our chefs name was Roderigo.

The penthouse had three bedrooms and three bathrooms. Each room was about the same size. There were all large and very comfortable. The bathrooms were large with very big showers with great water pressure. The beds were some of the most comfortable beds I have slept in anywhere in Mexico. The musty odor was not an issue in the penthouse.

Now comes all my nitpicking with the penthouse. The penthouse worn. It is definitely in need of an update. It is not that anything was broken but nothing seemed new or updated recently.

I have read other reviews that complained about the ants. Having been to Puerto Vallarta seven times and talking to friends who own condos there this is a common and almost inevitable problem. The only time we ran into the ants was when leaving out tooth brushes or food.

Having a pool on our own balcony was a great plus. The downside it was heated and way too hot. Penthouse B does not get more than about three hours of sun throughout the course of the day on the balcony.

Now about the best part of renting the penthouse. It was Roderigo our chef. Not only did he prepare some incredible meals he was pleasant and personable. He is the major factor of why my friends and I plan on coming back and staying here again. I thought I would miss going out to the great restaurants. I did not miss them at all his food was so much better and we saved a ton of money.

• Stayed: January 2012, travelled with friends
4  Thank img712
Reviewed 19 January 2012

When it comes to location and space, right on on Playa Los Muertos beach, Vallarta Shores is tough to beat. You get a full condo, right on the beach, in healthy walking distance from all the great restaurants and nightlife Puerto Vallarta has to offer. That alone gives the place a Very Good rating in my book.

We stayed in Unit 5, and your mileage may vary as the units all are finished differently and have different sizes.

I'll start with the positives.

The space in the unit is absolutely amazing. The high ceilings and generous beachfront balconies really do set this space apart from any of the other beachfront places we've stayed at in PV. The views alone are five star!!! We didn't really use the loft space bedroom, but I'd imagine it would be more comfortable for a family with kids, than for a second pair of adults. The bed was super comfortable, and the bathrooms perfectly fine for our needs.

I can't over-emphasize the quality of the location either. At the south end of Playa Los Muertos, it really is easy access to the beach and especially to everything on the South Side of the river. The hotel has a few lonely palapas on the beach, but we preferred to hang out at a busier beach club. There is also a small pool area that looked quiet and nice, but we never made it over there really. We never felt the need to hop in a cab the entire time we were there, at all times of the day or night, and never felt insecure in the area. But if you want a cab, there generally was one parked just down the street, and the front desk was able to quickly round one up for us for our trip back to the airport.

As far as the negatives, it really comes down basically to TLC. This genuinely great building is showing its age, and at least our unit showed it. Tiles show wear and tear, the air conditioner (which only cools the main master bedroom, not the lofted area or living space) is super loud, the refrigerator and dvd players both seemed rusted on top, the exterior railings in need of a serious scrape and paint. None of these things themselves really bothered us much. The place does sell itself on older charm, not as a five-star palace. Despite these minor faults it's a winning combination in my book.

Unfortunately the one place I will dock this place on is housekeeping. The ladies I met who took care of our room seemed lovely, but the bottom-line is there were ants throughout our stay, especially in the kitchen. So we avoided bringing much food into the kitchen, and tiptoed carefully in the bathroom where they hung out too. This seemed so widespread, to not be noticed by the people cleaning. We had to ask the hotel to clean our fridge the day after we checked in, because it was genuinely dirty inside. I think they gave it a quick once-over, but really it wasn't much better, giving us little hope for any further complaints. Bed linens were absolutely clean, but the towels were a hodgepodge, tiny, and sometimes with holes in them.

Bottom line? Would I stay here again? I'd certainly consider it. The space and location are beyond fab - AND RIGHT ON THE BEACH with the glorious waves! We slept really well and overall had a completly excellent stay here, and loved a heck of a lot about Vallarta Shores.

I would hope however that the hotel cleans up its act -- especially considering the "for sale" sign that went up during our stay...

Room Tip: The hotel website has photos of all the individual suites. Make sure you look through all of them be...
  • Stayed: January 2012, travelled as a couple
7  Thank Alan T
Reviewed 15 January 2012

This was our second time staying at Vallarta Shores, we chose ground level unit one. We decided on that as the other units were too big for my wife and our 11 year old son. Hindsight, we would have paid the extra money for the bigger units upstairs or would have rather took the other ground level unit. Unit 1 has its windows, where everyone can see right into the unit, the other ground level unit (unit 2) has its windows high, so that is not an issue. You definetly here alot more noise on the ground level unit, and one night walking back, 3 mexicans in an SUV, were cat calling at my wife and ended up parking in front of Vallarta Shores and decided to smoke a fatty and crank the music with the doors open for about half an hour. There is a chain link in front of Vallarta Shores, but it was not locked or even up, which would have prevented this from happening. The ground unit is not a good option at all! We also had problems with no hot water, 4 days of no hot water out of a 9 day stay. They assured us they were addressing the problem, a maintence man did come into the unit, but it still took 4 days to get hot water. My wife and I could handle it, but for our special needs son, cold showers don't do very well with him. The staff is always friendly at Vallarta Shores and that is a big plus.

Room Tip: DO NOT take the ground level unit..
  • Stayed: January 2012, travelled with family