“A tour well worth taking!”

Tours du Jour Mexico
Ranked #16 of 189 Tours in Puerto Vallarta
More attraction details
Owner description: Unique tours that combine working out with discovering the unbeaten paths of Puerto Vallarta.
Useful Information: Bathroom facilities
Vegas baby
15 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 53 helpful votes
“A tour well worth taking!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 April 2012

Let me start this review by saying that I am not a tour person. I’ve had my fill of over-paying someone to take me to places I can find on my own and tell me things I can read about for myself. That being said, Tours de Jour Power Walking Tours is completely different than other tours. Instead of being a gimmicky, flashy tour Tours de Jour gets you into the fabric of the community that is Puerto Vallarta.

We met our tour guide Sylvie, who took the time to explain what the tour would be like and what we could expect along the way. One of the things she mentioned was the “power walking” aspect of the trip. There are some parts of this journey that will elevate your heart rate, but anyone with even a moderate fitness level will have no problem. If you’re like me you always tell yourself that you’re going to workout on vacation but never do. This tour will allow you to get some exercise at least one day on your trip.

For me there were a great many highlights of this tour, but the memory that I will take away is that of truly getting to experience the fabric of the neighborhoods and culture that this walk provided me. To walk the side streets, hear the stories and even meet a few of the people that make PV what it is, was a once in a lifetime experience. We met a man who was preparing corn on the bed of a pick-up truck to be roasted and sold later that day. We ate at two great little spots, Esquina de los Caprichos and Mango Café. And we saw numerous sites that you would never see if you don’t leave the beach.

In short, spending part of your day with Sylvie and doing a Tours de Jour Power Walk is time and money well spent. Be sure to wear comfortable shoes, bring water and I would recommend a backpack. The tour lasts a few hours, but you will see so much that most other visitors to PV never get see that you’ll be glad you did it.

1 Thank Papa_Lou1
Turn Your Opinions into Points!
Turn your opinions into JPMiles
Turn your opinions into PAYBACK Points
*You can enroll in only one programme at a time to earn rewards for reviews.
JPMiles / Payback Arrow
JPMiles / PAYBACK

Las Vegas
23 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 160 helpful votes
“Not to be missed!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 April 2012

Sylvie’s tour was the highlight of our trip. It's great to get off the beaten path and see parts of the city that most tourists don't stroll through.

There’s a part where the walk becomes somewhat of a hike. The path that meanders up the hill in front of homes (which is really cool!) becomes pretty steep. At one point my husband said, “If you walk on your toes you’ll get a great a calf workout.” Well stupid me followed his ill advice and my calves were killing me for 3 days afterward! But it really isn’t strenuous and I believe a child could do this. You will get a workout in though.

We hiked to the cross and enjoyed the breathtaking view, tried some fabulous Mexican chocolate, noshed on tapas at Esquina de los Caprichos, strolled through neighborhoods, and ended up at the Mango Cafe. Sylvie is a fantastic guide and I learned a lot about the neighborhood and history of PV on this tour. As we strolled through the marketplace Sylvie pointed out a huracheria and we returned and bought a couple pair of beautiful leather huraches.

And who needs a stinkin’ bridge? We crossed the Rio Cuale by hopping over rocks right in the riverbed. Too cool!!!!

We also were treated to a little tour of Los Cuatro Vientos hotel. The view from the roof top was spectacular. We can't wait to return and enjoy a cocktail up there.

We look forward to doing this tour with Sylvie again on our next trip.

Deephaven
67 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 111 helpful votes
“Great workout, wonderful views and treats along the way.”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 April 2012

I went with Sylvie with my son on this great walking tour. We walked to areas we wouldn't have ventured to on our own. She knew the back alleys and neighborhoods very well. She also pointed out many different plants and the dogs in the area are all her friends. It was a fun workout and we stopped for some yummy tapas and sampled delicious chocolates. This is an inexpensive tour and a good time. I'd recommend it.

Vancouver, Canada
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Fantastic tour of the hidden streets of Puerto Vallarta”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 30 March 2012

Sylvie was our "hostess with the mostess" for three hours while we walked through the winding streets and staircases with included everything from beautiful homes, barking (but friendly) dogs, roosters and chickens and all manner exotic flowers and vegetation. The first hour was a bit of a challenge heading mostly up hill and our reward was a stunningly beautiful 180 degree view of Banderas Bay and the Sierra Madre mountains. Half way through our tour we stopped at a charming restaurant in Gringo Gultch where we indulged in the most delicious snacks that were specifically prepared for us. All through the tour Sylvie proved to be a very knowledgable guide. She shared interesting info about the area and history. She was very personable and made the excursion lots of fun. I highly recommend booking this tour because there's nothing else like it in Puerto Vallarta!

Visited March 2012
1 Thank Chinontheroad
Buffalo
16 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 38 helpful votes
“A wonderful morning!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 March 2012

I was the only person to show up and Sylvie took me on a fabulous private tour. She was so gracious, and it was just like hiking with an old friend. I was thrilled to see right into the locals back yards and even into their homes and porches, to learn how ordinary people live here. It was fun to meet with their dogs, too, as they were all so glad to see Sylvie and her dog treats. She was so knowledgeable about the native plants and flowers, and it seemed she was happy just to share her love of this beautiful city and its people. The walk was easy, the views were spectacular, and the snacks were an added bonus. It was the best way I can imagine, to experience Puerto Vallarta, and I would highly recommend this tour. For even more fun, she invited us to see her band at Que Pasa Sat. A lovely, talented lady, and an unforgettable experience.

Visited March 2012