“Average All-Inclusive”

Ranked #45 of 125 Hotels in Puerto Vallarta
Wisconsin
“Average All-Inclusive”
Reviewed 27 March 2012

This hotel is older and needs updates. Had trouble getting room towels. Food was just average, and drinks took time to get. A lot of times there was only one bartender and the hotel was full. I wish there would have been another pool as it got crowded sometimes when they had activities. It was nice that it was adults only, but the beach is public, so kids were there and the incessant people selling things right up at the pool area was annoying at times. The night club was across the street and never crowded. They served the better liquior there. We went there every night.

Room Tip: Stay on the 3rd floor or higher. I was on the 2nd floor and it is too close to the pool and walkway...
  • Stayed March 2012, travelled with family
4 Thank travelbug281
Turn Your Opinions into Points!
Turn your opinions into JPMiles
Turn your opinions into PAYBACK Points
*You can enroll in only one programme at a time to earn rewards for reviews.
JPMiles / Payback Arrow
JPMiles / PAYBACK

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (559)
Healdsburg, CA
Reviewed 23 March 2012

This was our second trip to PV, and our first stay at GCP. The resort is aging and needs some updates. The room was nice enough, nice amenities, ocean view, balcony with chairs, mostly clean. Floors were always dirty. Had to wear sandals in the room. Ocean view was nice, except the staff starts setting up the bar outside our room at 330 am, and made noise and talked to each other without regard to sleeping guests. We had to get up and shut the door every morning. Bed is hard as a rock and the pillows were terrible and not comfy. Oh, and smoke often drifted in through the door...maybe higer floors would fix that issue.

Staff wasnt very eager to help. One day at the pool there were no chairs. I asked two staffers and just got a shrug, one girl said too bad. Liquor wasnt top shelf, or even good brands. No cadillac margaritas at GCP. They try to charge you for extra bottled water. Wifi is expensive. No computers for guests to use. Several of the beach chairs were broken and they were almost always full of sand...just poor maintenance and attention to detail.k

The food was not very tasty. We tried the upstairs restaurant. They had a crazy little manager running around, lots of empty tables, but unwilling to seat you even a minute before your reservation. salvadors was ok. The morning breakfast buffet was not good at all. The snack bar by the pool had good tacos, hamburgers and nachos, sometimes pizza.

There was no yoga in the morning. Pool games were fun, but one round of volleyball per day. No beach volleyball. There were clay tennis courts and basketball courts. Saw a few folks playing tennis. Pool table near the pool needs to be replaced...felt even coming up.

Got this deal on bookit.com, so we got what we paid for, I guess. Best part of this place is its location. Close to airport, close to town, close to clubs and shopping. Most are close enough to walk.

Room Tip: Ocean view is good, maybe higher floors are quieter.
4 Thank chitwnchk
Chicago, Illinois
Reviewed 23 March 2012

We just got back from our 1st visit to GCP last week. We had perfect weather by my standards 85 to 87 and sunny EVERYDAY the entire 8 days we were there.

We have been to other all-inclusives before. We found there to be definite pro's and con's.

Pros: 24hr room service, great view from our oceanfront room. Good liquor & beer selection....captain, jack, jose, absolute, tecate & corona - corona on the crown paradise side only. Close to marina and airport. You could see the cruise ships on Tues & Thurs. Isacc at the swim-up bar & Pauul in activities. Decent food. No problem getting chairs by pool or beach like we have had at some AI's. Parasailing right from the beach at the resort. Met some very nice people (we usually do anyway) everybody is usually happy on vacation.

Cons: Beach vendors! I was soo sick of saying no gracias by the 2nd day. No fridge in room. Tub/shower was hard to get in & out of and we are only in our early 30's. I'm 5'5 and had more trouble than my fiance who is 6'1. I can't imagine seniors getting in & out! No shower curtain just a small partition glass, so water got all over the floor. Two resorts share one buffet so the selection could have been bigger/better.

We had a nice time. The staff was friendly even though some gave off the vibe that it was only because they had to be friendly. We tip more than average & I found it almost awkward as some of the bartenders seemed unappreciative?!? Weird!!! Though Isaac at the swim-up bar was great!! Wish the swim-up bar was a pool rather than a giant hot-tub. But it was nice in the evenings. The housekeeping staff did a good job & definetly appreciated the tips. Try the water volleyball at 10a & water aerobics at noon - Fun! Other than that the main adult side pool is boring - it's good for people who like their peace & quiet. The swim-up and breeze bars were the places to be! Even though we did not do any of the restaurants that require reservations we noted they improved the process by allowing you to reserve by phone rather than get up early to stand in line. We spoke to a few people who said the bellavista, buffet & breeze bars were as good if not better anyway!

Overall it was a nice trip and a well kept property... We may go back in the future.. Not sure??

Room Tip: Pay the extra for oceanfront vs oceanview if you prefer full beach/water view and falling asleep to...
4 Thank JilWebb
Edmonton, Canada
Reviewed 22 March 2012

This is my first review on Trip Advisor and I want it to be as helpful as possible...
My boyfriend and I travelled to the GCP in May of 2011, of course we read all the reviews before leaving on our trip. Its so interesting to read what others have to say, its an eye opener about all the different perceptions people have about this hotel.

Duration of stay:
We spent 7 days there and really enjoyed every minute of it...

Food:
We ate at the buffet very rarely because we were very busy throughout the days as we signed up for 5 different excursions.

We ate at the a la carte "Paradise Restaurant" 6 days of our trip, they offered a new menu each day and it was absolutely amazing, I LOVED the food and believe me I was nervous as to what to expect while I was there.

Room Cleanliness:
Our rooms were cleaned late in the day, so this was a bit of a bummer however we are tidy people so it wasn't a big frustration...

Excursions:
You MUST go to Las Caletas, it is the most amazing island. We went twice, once for "Rhythms of the night" - a show created by a previous member of Cirque du Soleil...
and once during the day to Snorkel, Kayak, and relax... I highly recommend both the day and night trip.. gives me goosebumps writing about it, I loved every minute!
We also went on a ziplining tour which was fun, but go in the early morning, if you go any later in the day it is way too hot and i cant say its an easy course. We booked those excursions through Vallarta Adventures!
The fourth excursion we did that I recommend is the Pirate Ship adventure, it was a blast and the food on the boat was great too. PS the drinks on the ship ROCKED
The final excursion we did was terrifying, I know that sounds horrible but I hated the Dune Buggy tour, I hade to pretend I was very sick so our tour leader would turn around and we could drive back. The buggies were "Ghetto" and it was myself, my boyfriend, and two men. One of the men explained to us that he cant go back to the US for reasons he couldn't say... Not something I want to hear driving through mountains in Mexico in the crappiest little dune buggies.

Beach: Very nice, however soooo many "vendors" every second they are asking you to buy something the minute you make eye contact they are on you like a hawk. However, we did buy 2 pairs of "Ray Ban" (possibly knock-offs) sunglasses for $17.00 Canadian and he had originally asked for $60.00 Bargain with them if you are really interested!

Overall, No we won't return as we like to try new things each trip.. but yes it was a nice trip & the fact that is Adults Only ROCKS!

• Stayed April 2011, travelled as a couple
6 Thank Kristina C
Mexico, Missouri
Reviewed 21 March 2012

We embarked on our journey to the Golden Crown Hotel in Puerto Vallarta on 03/09/12 and returned home on 03/16/12. I will warn you now this is lengthy.

CUSTOMS and TAXI--- When we landed at the airport in PV, we of course had to go through Customs. We had to wait in line about 11/2 hours, but we talked to other people that had to wait even longer. The "shark tank" was easy, just avoid eye contact and keep walking no matter what they try to use to get your attention. Finding a cab was easy, it cost approx 100 pesos ($10 US) for two people to get to the hotel. The cab ride was interesting to say the very least, they made me nervous but we arrived safely.

HOTEL ARRIVAL---The hotel was gorgeous, and exactly as described. We proceeded to check in, and was given a cold drink and offered a cool towel. Bit of a warning here, avoid the "information desk"..they say they are not time share reps..but that's exactly what they are.

HOTEL GROUNDS AND CLEANNESS---The pool was heated and clean, the grounds keepers were always maintaining, trimming, watering, painting to keep the hotel in good condition. One night I stepped on a tile in the Breeze way and noticed it to be loose. I mentioned it to my wife and we continued to our room to prepare for dinner. Upon returning 30-40 minutes later, I noticed the tile had been replaced. I was impressed that they took note and repaired it so fast. The hotel cleaning staff was always cleaning as well, sweeping, moping, wiping down hand rails. Everyday they would scrub the dinning tables, lounge chairs by the pool, and rake the beach. Very clean I have no complaints with the cleanness of this hotel.

OUR ROOM---- The room was very clean, with a beautiful view over looking the ocean. House keeping maintained our room everyday, and worked very hard to make sure we were happy. We tipped them approx. 30-40 pesos ($3-4 US) a day, and they left mints, and made decorations (swans) with towels and left them on our bed. I felt comfortable leaving personal belongings out in the room as well. Our first day we left the tip for house keeping on the pillow. It just so happened that we came back to the room as house keeping was cleaning the room. As we entered our room, We noticed that the tip had been moved to the dresser. The house keeper pointed to the money and asked if we had left that for her. We said "yes", and she thanked us. It impressed me that she asked if we left it for her, instead of just taking it. With that being said...Use your head here...I am not suggesting you leave a lot of money or a $5000 ring laying around. I am simply stating my experiences.

HOTEL EMPLOYEES-- The employees were very helpful and hardworking as well. They went out of their way at times to make sure we were happy. They work long hours as well, often times 18plushours a day. They had a smile on their face, and would greet you upon contact.

RESTAURANTS ---We did not do any of the reservation restaurants, however no one we talked to had anything negative to say. We ate at the buffet breakfast, and lunch and dinner at the outside restaurants everyday. We found the waiter(s), to be hard working polite, and friendly. They have a rotating menu, every X amount of days it was the same. But the food was always good, and we did not try any thing we did not like or would not be willing to order again. Our solution to the rotating menu was, try something else...pretty simple. We usually tipped the waiter 30-40 pesos($3-4 US) a meal.

BARS(the pub,tiki hut, and pool bar)---- We found they had a variety of drinks. I preferred Cerveza (aka..beer), but they did have a lot of top shelf alcohol too, just ask for it. The bartender(s) learned what we drank and was friendly. Whether we were at the restaurant, pool area, or on the beach there was a waiter walking around taking drink orders. We tipped the bar waiters 40-50 pesos ($4-5 US) every 5-6 drinks.

TEQUILA VOLLEYBALL--- I would highly recommend this game, regardless of your athletic ability. We had a blast...drank way too much but had a lot of fun. The last game we played, I was on the losing team and had to roll in the sand in shame..but it was all in fun. They played it everyday at about 430, and no its not straight shots of tequila its more of a daiquiri. Say hi to Janet, and Paul the referees for me, if you do play.

BEACH/FLEA MARKET VENDORS--- Beach vendors are not as bad as I had heard. Yes, they are presistant (sp) but if you just say "no, thank you" they would walk away. They might be back in ten minutes, but hey they are just trying to make a living too. If you do buy something from a beach vendor, or a vendor at the flea markets, haggle with them. They will come down on the price, and I found it to be a lot of fun.

CLUB NITRO--- This is the club directly across the street from the hotel. They host nightly shows, a lot of the shows are kid oriented but are very good. I would recommend the magic, Mexican, and Latin shows the are very good. There will be children there but it is a good show, and your drinks are included. Tell Paul, Janet, Anna, and Eric, I said hi if you attend.

MALECON/BOARDWALK--- It is a must see, it cost us 50 pesos ($5 US) for two people, each way. There is a ton to see, and can easily make it day of it.

SAFETY---I heard horror stories about how unsafe Mexico was, although I can not speak for every where in Mexico. I can tell you, I found PV to be VERY safe. All most every two blocks, I seen security/police. And at no time did I ever feel unsafe. With that being said---Again use your head...crime is every where...no large amounts of cash, listen to your gut if it doesnt feel right then its probably not, travel in groups, nothing is free...ect...common sense stuff

Now that I have bored you to death, I will close. We had a GREAT time and are already planning our next trip. If you have any questions, comments please feel free to reply. Hope to see you there

21 Thank lilolmo