“Excels at service” 5 of 5 bubbles

GreenLeadersGold level
Simi Valley, California
“Excels at service”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 August 2012

I took my boyfriend to the resort for his birthday in July; we stayed 4 days, 3 nights. I had requested via email that the mini bar in our room be stocked with Pierre/ San Pelligrino all beer removed and a selection of fruits, nuts and dark chocolate covered strawberries be stocked in the room. Upon arrival in our room I found all the requested items as well as a plate decorated with Happy Birthday with homemade candies. Very well done. Only mix up was my desired reserved room was not given. The beach club had the best drinks and very good food- great ceviche. All around good food. Got lots of mosquito bites, do not walk around grounds at night unless you are armed with bug spray in advance. Loved the infinity pool with no children. This is a great place for couples, very romantic and quiet. I requested a jalepenjo margarita in the restaurant, their reply was " yes, we will find a way to make that" that was always the attitude to requests, a willingness to please the guest. Very happy with my mini vacation.

• 5 of 5 bubbles
casavelasmanagement, Guest Relations Manager at Casa Velas, responded to this review, 11 August 2012
Dear Miss Goldstein

Thank you for sharing your thoughts and experiences at trip advisor; for us, all our guests are unique and each one of you are the most important one and our intention is to make you feel that way.

Recently chosen as one of the Top 10 hotels in Mexico and the Caribbean in three categories - Luxury, Relaxation/Spa and Hotel for Romance - by TripAdvisor, Casa Velas enjoys a garden setting surrounded by the Marina Vallarta Golf Course.

We’ll always be willing to welcome and pamper you as a commitment; Thank you again for choosing us as your home away from home and it will be my pleasure to welcome you in your next visit in the near future.

Receive warm greetings from Casa Velas!!

ANGEL GARCIA V.
Chief Concierge
T: +52 (322) 226 6686
E: concierge@hotelcasavelas.com
Turn Your Opinions into Points!
Turn your opinions into JPMiles
Turn your opinions into PAYBACK Points
*You can enroll in only one programme at a time to earn rewards for reviews.
JPMiles / Payback Arrow
JPMiles / PAYBACK

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (301)
CT
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 July 2012

So I had very high hopes for this place...
Unfortunately we had to travel separately and I arrived a couple of days in advance of my husband. 1st room I was showed was okay, but no tub. Exchanged thru RCI (Pueblo Bonito at Sunset Beach is home resort) and I was told by them that I would get a 1 bedroom Royal suite. But no, Velas said RCI exchanges get a Grand Class suite and as the hotel was practically empty I was expecting the Grand Class Plus suite with both the plunge pool and the tub. So they show me another room with a tub and plunge pool but said it would be an extra $60 USD per day. Tired from traveling so long, I said fine. Had lunch in Emiliano (the only formal dining there and where you would eat the majority of your meals). It was good; not great - but the place was so much smaller than I had imagined (or it appears on their website) that I think I would have gone a little stir crazy eating there every night.
I went back to my "upgraded" room and fell asleep waking up well after dinner time so had to order room service. They were very nice and took my order of tortilla soup, shrimp fajita and some chocolate thing. Soup was good but fajitas and sides were stone cold, chocolate thing unremarkable...so much for the wonderful dining experience. I don't expect room service to be perfect, but stone cold? Not stressing over it I went back to sleep. When I woke up in the morning more refreshed, I looked around and the room that I thought was nicer really wasn't. It was pretty much stating to show it's age. The tub didn't work and the hardware was pulling away from the tile. The nice courtyard you see on the website? Forget about it. I had a chipped plunge pool with leaves and sticks floating in it and there was a tiny patch of brownish grass around it. There was also a wood table with 4 chairs that was not luxurious or comfortable at all. I also woke up with bug bites, but hadn't really stayed out by the plunge pool for more than a minute, never mind going in it. So what to do? My husband was arriving on Tuesday night and he had planned some spa stuff, a dinner on the beach and some sort of romantic room set-up for after. All at an extra cost of course. It was for my birthday and even though we exchanged our week, paid them and additional $185 per person per day, that wasn't good enough. Dinner on the beach would be about another $200 USD and the romantic room set-up was an additional $50 USD??? Really, ever been to a Four Seasons for a special occasion? They certainly don't charge you extra to help you celebrate...they go out of their way to make you feel special. Oh, and btw...no one had yet to say happy birthday to me - only kept asking where my husband was?? At this point I was telling him to just forget everything because it probably wasn't worth the extra $$.
So we decide that I would move to the other resort - Grand Velas and he would meet me there. They were nice about moving me and canceling everything he had booked, but they made sure they charged me that extra $60 USD for the 1 night upgrade. Also, they made sure they "inquired" if I had talked to any timeshare people at the airport...yeah, that was the reason I was moving to your sister resort.
1 other caution - if you get a room like I had, be aware of the 2 stone steps that lead up to where the bed is - it is easy to forget about them and you may do a header down on to the stone floor (I didn't, but was extremely careful)
Arrived at Grand Velas and it was a much bigger resort with a very nice 3 tiered infinity pool and 3 specialty restaurants as well as a more casual all day open aired place called Azul. Room was nice, so thinking okay, this is good. Then I went down to get a chair by the pool. Place was packed and people are so rude to put an apple on a chair to reserve it for hours while they are not there. I couldn't find a place to even sit. Then the kids...TONS of unruly kids running around with no parental supervision at all. There were more kids sitting at the pool bar than adults. 1 little kid actually walked by me and stuck two of his fingers into my champagne glass that was sitting on the lobby bar table, turned to look at me and then put those same to fingers into his mouth and gave me a "ha-ha" look. Was somewhat funny, but just the tip of the iceberg of how kids rule this resort and run around doing anything they want. When my husband finally got there, he was like...really? This was the resort I've been hearing was so great? It was very hot, but that is to be expected - but no ceiling fans in the lobby, lobby bar or at Azul so having drinks / eating there was so uncomfortable. Breakfast was good, but lunch and dinner buffets at Azul = yuck so stuck with the pool menu for lunch and the 3 formal restaurants for dinner. And if the formal, they really expect you to make all your reservations for the week on the first day you get there? Give me a break. They told us they would "squeeze" us into the formal Italian place if we ran up to our room and changed from the pool and were back within 15 minutes. Rushing like crazy people (on vacation) we made it back in time only to see empty tables all around us from the time we got there until the time we left. Food was okay to good, but again, nothing outstanding. Being back 1 day I am still baffled by all the glowing reviews both places received on this site. The beach was nothing to write home about...dark dirty sand and murky water - I never even went in. Beach beds were tiny, close together and a little ratty with fraying fabric. Beach canopies were larger but chairs underneath not as nice - just basic mesh loungers. I expected so much more. The spa was nice and I did have 2 very nice treatments - the Diamond 80 minute facial and some type of specialty massage. Grounds are very nice, maid service was good and most of the people who work there are friendly..but safe to say we will not be returning to any Velas resorts in the future. There are too many nicer places to go in Mexico. This is a very fair and honest representation of both resorts so take this review for what you think it's worth. I am a little disappointed with all the great things I have read on Tripadvisor about both places and am starting to question some of them. When 1 person with 1 review in their history tells you to "ignore" someone else's negative comment, what does that tell you?
Also btw, no one ever did say happy birthday.

Room Tip: Go somewhere else...
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
7 Thank dlm41
Seattle, Washington
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 July 2012

We really enjoyed our stay. It is true that the hotel is not on the beach, but the van ride is very short and the distance is walkable. Honestly, the beach club is much nicer than any of the other higher end hotels nearby have to offer. We enjoyed everything about this resort. I am not going to repeat the great things that others have to say. I read through all of the reviews before booking. Here are the answers to the questions that I couldn't find before staying.

Tipping - I was confused about whether I should tip at an all inclusive resort. After all, it is all inclusive. I still don't know the answer this, but I ended up tipping after the second day. the service was much better than the service I receive in the states. At the end of the stay they let us look over the total amount we tipped. It came out to be $180 for 6 nights. I felt that was more than reasonable for what we received.

gym - I realize that not everybody wants to go to the gym on their vacation. I do. You can pretty much do what you need to do with the equipment that is there with a little improvising. The weights go up to 25kg. There is a flat and incline bench. There are plenty of cardio machines with tvs. If you want to attend classes you can go to the sister resort.

all inclusive alcohol - everything is all inclusive except expensive wines. (I believe this is correct.)

sister resort - it is very close. you can walk or take a shuttle. It has much more of a family feel. It is big. We enjoyed the mexican culture show and dinner.

ending time for all inclusive - 2pm.

WARNING!! - the resort is all inclusive for mosquitos also. They take full advantage of it. The resort provided us OFF spray. You may want to pack a tamer version.

unanswered question: after turndown service, your tv is turned to a bizarre elephant music video every night. This has some importance that I can not identify. Weeks later I still have dreams about it.

It was a great trip and something we will never forget.

3 Thank Brian_and_Aki
Round Rock, Texas
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 July 2012

If you are considering staying at Casa Velas in Peurto Vallarta, do yourself a favor book a room intermediately!... it will be the best the decision you have made all year.

First of all I want to say INGORN the jkonstantis post on trip advisor One mendacious post like that can deteriorate a person coming to this wonderful resort. I'm just grateful that this post was entered after we have already arrived to Casa Velas. My wife and I, from Anchorage, Alaska, put a lot of faith into the reviews and pictures we read on Trip Advisor. Like many I was a little skeptical on how many glowing reviews this resort had and by staying at this resort for 6 Nights and 7 Days I can see why the reviews are awesome.

Transportation, Arrival, Check In, Tour

Save yourself some heartache and setup transportation from the airport with the hotel by emailing concierge@hotelcasavelas.com  .
After a long flight from Anchorage we arrived in PV, already setting up transportation from the airport to hotel. The driver past the hotel's security gate and we arrive at the lobby door. Jorge opened up the car's door and said “Mr. ***** welcome to the Casa Velas”. Pretty cool stuff, he knew my name and I haven't even said a word yet. My wife and I look at each other knowing that we had made the right decision by staying here. I felt like a rockstar.

Jorge immediately took our luggage not even giving me a chance to retrieve them from the car. While he was doing that we had a personal check-in on a nice comfortable sofa, with cool towels, and refreshing drink. Check in only lasted 5 minutes. After the check in Jorge came back and show us a quick tour of the resort. When we arrive to the room with our luggage waiting for us, Jorge score major brownie points with my wife... “Mrs. ***** you must be hungry flying all the way from Alaska, let me order you some chips and salsa, with guacamole.... and Senor how about a margarita?” Yes Please. Wow. Awesome.

Hotel Grounds, Room, Food, Drink,

Grounds – Casa Velas take great pride in there grounds... Gardens and ponds perfectly manicure everywhere.. See past reviewers pictures.

Room – Is awesome... even though we got the least expensive room we was very pleased with our balcony over looking the golf course, huge shower that could fit 10 people and sitting area.

Food - The food would rival any hotel I have been at. You are just going to have to take my word for it or better yet go Casa Velas and try it for yourself.

Drink - Awesome... great cocktails

Beach Club, Hotel Pool, Spa, Gym

The Beach Club is my favorite thing about this resort. No kids, great pool, great food and drinks. Rangel and his team did a great job taking care of us.

Hotel Pool – manned by the Bartender extraordinaire, Freddy... Ask him to surprise you a with a Delicious drink.. and he will deliver.

Spa – My wife took advantage of the SPA services.. .she was very please... Massage is a must-do according to her.
Gym - We work out a the gym 3 of the 6 days we was here.. Their gym equipment seems like its brand new. Great view of the garden and golf course, with flat screen T.V.'s … The pitcher of fresh squeezed juice is a nice touch.

The service is Number one thing that stands out here! The staff really caters to you... I could go on and on about example of great customer service we experienced here, like Angel finding fresh Vanilla Beans for me for a gift to my Mom, because I couldn't find them in town. Or Rangel setting up an impromptu candlelight dinner for a party of 10 at the beach club. Or Beny handing me glass of my favorite beverage because it just look like I needed one. I could go on and on.

My wife and I have traveled to many resorts.... This is my first trip Advisor Review I have ever wrote, that is saying a lot for me... And I haven't said this about any other resort......... “I WILL BE BACK”

If you have any questions or need any honest opinions about anything related to this resort please message me.

Cheers and happy travels.

6 Thank jnbarbee
Salt Lake City, Utah
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 July 2012

Don't listen to 'jkonstantis'. Apparently he knows how to use Tripadvisor to complain, but not to research his stay in advance! Nowhere in these reviews is the resort represented as on the beach. It is VERY clear that it is secluded on the golf course with a shuttle to their private beach club. He also thinks he shouldn't have to pay for the first day he stayed? The nerve!

I am currently on my last night of our 7 night stay and am so sad to leave. What a wonderful place. Gourmet food to die for, attentive and genuinely caring staff, along with quiet, beautiful surroundings makes this place a little bit of heaven on earth.

The complaints I may have if any are so overwhelmingly overshadowed by everything that Casa Velas gets right that you feel nit picky for even bringing them up. Things like the Mosquitos, or non-gratis spa, but bring a can of OFF and get a massage on the beach from a vendor and those complaints are quickly forgotten.

Our experience here has been incredible and I would eagerly recommend the Casa Velas to anyone!

• Stayed July 2012, travelled with friends
3 Thank MonDex
casavelasmanagement, Director de Relaciones con Clientes at Casa Velas, responded to this review, 23 July 2012
Dear Guest

I wish to extend warm greetings from Casa Velas and thank you very much for expressing your opinion about your stay with us; it is always a pleasure to know that we have exceeded our guest’s expectations on regards of the service provided by our dedicated staff and the food quality at the property.

Thank you for giving us the opportunity of being your host during your anniversary trip, and make it a memorable one and experience a true vacation in paradise.

Thank you again for expressing your opinion and it will be my pleasure to welcome you in your next visit.

All Casa Velas staff send you a friendly HOLA!!

ANGEL GARCIA V.