“Not sure if we will return to Velas.”
Review of Velas Vallarta

Velas Vallarta
Ranked #5 of 123 Hotels in Puerto Vallarta
GreenLeadersPlatinum level
Reviewed 18 April 2012

We own here and this was our 4th time back. I brought my parents with us so they could experience PVR for the first time at a great place. I love the beautiful grounds and the location. The wait staff is excellent, perfect weather, and nice sandy beach. We were all excited.
Then we all arrive at 8:30 pm for check-in on March 6th, 2012, and the treatment we received from the staff at the check-in counter should have tipped me off. Never have I had such a small and rundown suite. We should have had a "2 bedroom plus" with dining room table, desk, and with TV in the main room. What we got was a room with only one couch(for 4 adults) and stools at the kitchenette counter, and you had to sit in bed to watch TV. Not a good set up for a family vacation. My parents even had to sleep in seperate beds since the other bedroom had only 2 small beds. The studio right next to us had better dining area and more seating than we had.
I asked guest services why we were not given a suite equal to what we own, and I was told tough luck.
The floor was never clean as I had black feet(gross) by the time I walked from bathroom to bedroom. I had to wash my feet beside the bed(every night) before climbing onto the white sheets. Linens and towels were always clean and soft. AC worked like a charm, but ceiling fan in our room hummed and creaked badly(electrical short?) and so did all the lights and outlets in the suite.
Now the worst part. All 4 of us got ill. 3 were very ill. Never in my life have we ever been sick while at Velas, yet it affected all of us. OK, we are all very seasoned travellers and getting sick while traveling RARELY happens to any of us. So this was very strange, MANY other vacationers were also ill.
Velas is beautiful, has great character and lovely grounds. Food is tasty but not much choice for vegans, gluten-free, or diabetics. Large HD TV's but only standard definition cable. Used to have free WIFI in the lobby, but now it costs $20 USD a day. Walk up or down the street and get free WIFI from numerious other resorts. Our maid service did do very well cleaning the bathrooms for us every day!
After 10 days the resort looked deserted since most were ill in their rooms. My husband should have been hospitalized, but after asking questions and talking to various staff I was told to "try Imodium or Pepto Bismol". I wanted help, not advice. It wasn't till after getting home did I find out how seriously ill my husband was-extreme dehydration and electrolyte imbalance with arrythmia-I had the same thing happen to me within hours after leaving Velas. Wish I knew why so many were ill.
I feel bad that my parents vacation wasn't fun for them, and my husband and I are still recovering from our illness 4 weeks later(got home March 20th, 2012). It isn't bacterial that's all we know. Like I say in the title, still not sure if we will return to Velas. We tend to go twice a year.

Room Tip: Ask for a room in the building furthest away(south one) from airport. Friends we know stayed in that...
  • Stayed: March 2012, travelled as a couple
3  Thank moore75
Turn Your Opinions into Points!
Turn your opinions into JPMiles
Turn your opinions into PAYBACK Points
*You can enroll in only one programme at a time to earn rewards for reviews.

Reviewed 14 April 2012

We spent a week at Velas at the end of March with our 5 year old son and loved it. We have been to several cities and all inclusives in Mexico and this is tops them all. It was clean and the grounds were so beautiful with lush foliage. They have the peacocks and iguanas that make for good photos with our son! The best part of this resort is the people. I read the service was good, but didn't expect it to be as outstanding as it was. We loved Saul in the beach restaurant. It really is such a nice touch to have those smiling faces greet us every day. The pools were clean and there were always plenty of lounge chairs available. We felt very safe at the resort and in the city and did an excusion to Las Caletas which I would also advise. Our son did the kids club and got to feed ducks, hold monkeys, ride and donkey and do 2 short zip lines. Made for some great memories. We also did kayaking there and had a good lunch. We had a 1 bedroom suite and it was HUGE. Our son was very comfortable on the couch and the maid made up his bed every night. We loves Velas Vallarta and would recommend it to couples and families.

Room Tip: The massage on the beach is well worth the money. Las caletas is great. Take the bus into the city...
  • Stayed: March 2012, travelled with family
2  Thank Lisa K
Reviewed 13 April 2012

I absolutely loved this resort! I had a 1 bedroom unit overlooking the gardens and the ocean. It was architecturally stunning and the resort grounds are the best I have ever seen in any tropical destination.I didnt even realize I cared that much about the grounds and after Velas Vallarta, now I'm a gardens/grounds snob. They even have peacocks and iguanas roaming the grounds of the resort.

The bed is like heaven and the pillows are so amazing I tried to find out from the resort where to get them. Unfortunately, they didnt know.

Make sure to visit the Malecon it was just completely re-constructed for the 2011 Pan-American Games. Its only about $5-7 cab ride, per person.

The exchange rate at this resort was better than that at the airport so save as much of your USD as you can until you get to the resort.

• Stayed: September 2011, travelled with friends
2  Thank Jamie C
Reviewed 12 April 2012

Once again we spent a week in Mexico at the Velas Vallarta. The weather was perfect and as usual the service was excellent. Can not say enough about Geraldine in Guest Services. She makes sure that all is perfect during our stay. I love their pillows and bedding. Sleep like a baby there. The food was wonderful and the waiters were the best. We always feel safe. It is as safe in Mexico as in USA. Just use common sense.

• Stayed: March 2012, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 12 April 2012

My husband and I stayed at Velas from March 12-26 along with our daughter and her 6 friends the first week and our son and his 9 friends the second week. Everyone had a great vacation! The service is what stands out in our minds the most! You will be treated like kings and queens each and every day! The staff is unbelievably attentive to our needs and all of them go out of their way to make you feel special and welcomed there. We received a free room upgrade the 2nd week so they are very accommodating! The ABSOLUTE BEST pool waiter is MARCELINO!! Find out what section he is working at and get to that spot! He always has a smile, is very personable, has a kind word, or a joke to pass on and he so willingly gets your food and drinks whenever you request it. Tip him well! He puts on a lot of miles in a day, works so very hard, and all with a big smile!! The waiters at both restaurants are amazing! The grounds are gorgeous, the beds are the most comfortable we've ever slept in, the food is awesome, and Christian did a superb job with the activities during the week. The only downfall was not having access to free Wifi internet service. This was included when we purchased our time share several years ago. Puerto Vallarta is a very safe place. We went downtown to the clubs on the Malecon at night and experienced very friendly residents. Tourism is huge for them and they treated us well!! This was our 3rd vacation here and we will definitely come back again.
Thanks Velas for the best 2 weeks ever!!
Madre' and Padre' from North Dakota

• Stayed: March 2012, travelled with friends
Also consider these accommodations in or near Puerto Vallarta
5.7 km away
Buenaventura Grand Hotel & Great Moments All Inclusive
Buenaventura Grand Hotel & Great...
#26 of 123 in Puerto Vallarta
0.4 km away
Casa Velas
Casa Velas
#2 of 123 in Puerto Vallarta
0.5 km away
Marriott Puerto Vallarta Resort & Spa
Marriott Puerto Vallarta Resort ...
#10 of 123 in Puerto Vallarta
5.6 km away
Villa Premiere Boutique Hotel & Romantic Getaway
Villa Premiere Boutique Hotel & ...
#6 of 123 in Puerto Vallarta
4.7 km away
Now Amber Puerto Vallarta
Now Amber Puerto Vallarta
#15 of 123 in Puerto Vallarta

Been to Velas Vallarta? Share your experiences!

Turn Your Opinions into Points!
Turn your opinions into JPMiles
Turn your opinions into PAYBACK Points
*You can enroll in only one programme at a time to earn rewards for reviews.
JPMiles / PAYBACK