“Amazing place to stay in Marina PVR”

The Westin Resort & Spa, Puerto Vallarta
Ranked #29 of 125 Hotels in Puerto Vallarta
Rochester Hills, Michigan
“Amazing place to stay in Marina PVR”
Reviewed 2 May 2012

I have visited PVR frequently over the past 10 years and have stayed at this hotel about 3 times (from staying at Presidential Suite to average room) and feel this is great place to stay in PVR. My wife and I got an amazing rate on Priceline ($42/night) for our stay March 29-April 3rd) and you cant beat that!. We stayed in the hotel, not the Club Regina time-share side. First I have to say that the staff is attentive, friendly, and they aim to please from Fridel Von Son (guest services manager) who gave us a complementary upgrade with nice welcome gift (ie. Chocolate covered strawberries as we were celebrating special occasion) to bellstaff, poolboys (hola to Jorge/Hector!), housekeeping to the reception staff ...everyone was wonderful and helpful.

We had nice oceanfront room on 7th floor with heavenly Westin beds. Yes the hotel overall could use some TLC and be remodeled but my wife and I found the hotel to be adequate for what we wanted....R &R. It seems like everyone wanted to be at pool but my wife and I would every day go to beach and find a spot without going at 6 am and "reserving a spot." I had been to Westin PVR when Nikki Beach was there so found it to be a shame that it and the nearby restaurant had closed...but I guess it is function of overall depressed economy.

This hotel is located in Marina part of PVR which is 10 minute cab ride to downtown/Malecon...this generally is quiet part of PVR and not on main street so nice to have quiet neighborhood. We didnt eat at restaurant as we would go to Pizza & Beer place across street for breakfast/lunch and then we dined in downtown every night..although we did eat/drink at beach bar and food/drinks were standard fare. Across from hotel there is a OXXO store (7-11 type store) which we would go to by snacks/water

In any case the beach is small but adequate....not Cancun white beaches but sufficient for you to enjoy Banderas Bay...and the sunsets are stunning!

Overall we would return and stay here for right price and were more than happy with our stay!

Room Tip: Oxxo across street for snacks/water Take bus to downtown (6 pesos/person) and then take cab back to...
  • Stayed March 2012, travelled as a couple
2 Thank RonanJordi
Turn Your Opinions into Points!
Turn your opinions into JPMiles
Turn your opinions into PAYBACK Points
*You can enroll in only one programme at a time to earn rewards for reviews.
JPMiles / Payback Arrow
JPMiles / PAYBACK

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (424)
  • Greek first
Seattle, Washington
Reviewed 1 May 2012

I've stayed at the Westin Regina multiple times over the last ten years but this was my first stay in the last 3-4 years and I see some changes. We were there April 19th-25th, 2012.

We stayed in the hotel, not the Club Regina time-share side. First I have to say that the staff is friendly, attentive and always accomodating. The pool gang were great...servers and poolboys (hola to Jorge and Hector!) were super-nice. The pool however is in need a good scrub...green algae growing on the bottom in places was a bit gross. The fence separating the Club Regina from the Westin hotel was an eyesore as stated by others here...that was new to me and I thought it was a huge mistake on their part.

Room was comfy and the balcony jacuzzi on our 7th floor was a nice treat. Housekeeping was adequate however we seemed to get less towels every day we were there. Ants on the balcony were present the first day but I'm not squeemish and took care of them with my fingers. ;-) The wireless signal was HORRIBLE....unusable in our room. They charge 199 pesos per day for wired or wireless internet...outrageous....and you can only connect ONE device for that price.

The restaurant hostess was always a friendly sight in the morning and the breakfast buffet was fine. With all the restaurants nearby at the marina you have options if you tire of only one restaurant on the hotel grounds. The OXXO store across the street was nice (think 7-11) if you want to buy bottled water or snacks.

My disappointment was mainly in the upkeep of the property. Cracks in the stucco exterior walls, faded paint, crumbling pavers on the drive say to me that this property needs new ownership and an upgrade. They're letting it slip and it shows if you look around. The above mention of the pool is another example although they were cleaning all the pool chair pads while we were there (and they needed it). The beach is nice enough...not the white sand of Cancun but still relaxing and a beautiful view of Banderas Bay.

If the price is right we'd return again but there is a lot of competition for your vacation dollars in Vallarta so shop around. This property has location going for it and friendly staff but it's days as one of the premiere properties in Vallarta are apparently over.

Room Tip: 7th or 10th floor rooms come with a balcony jacuzzi and gorgeous view of the bay.
  • Stayed April 2012, travelled as a couple
1 Thank HiflyerAS
cristina_castillo, Director of Sales at The Westin Resort & Spa, Puerto Vallarta, responded to this review, 29 May 2012
Dear guest

We thank you very much for your loyalty; your feedback is very important to us and without doubt we will do an action plan in regards internet service. In regards your comments about cracks in the stucco exterior walls and faded paint I would like to share that we just finished the painting of the whole hotel last week, we still working in few left areas.

Your opinion is very valuable, it contributes to provide a better experience to our guests and definitely we would love to have the opportunity to have you back at The Westin Resort & Spa, your home in Puerto Vallarta.

My very best regards

Cristina Castillo
Director of Sales and Marketing
Jackson Hole
Reviewed 1 May 2012

It is low season here in PV and the hotel seemed to have low occupancy. I arrived a day too early to check into my condo in Nuevo Vallarta. The Westin's service could not have been better from the time of arrival by the bell staff and front desk check-in until my departure and I was made to feel that my presence was genuinely appreciated. I was greeted by name and thanked numerous times. Sadly my stay was only for one night. The view from the room was spectacular, the service in the executive lounge was excellent as was the food and drink selection for the evening and the morning. At departure I was told to please return again. Nothing but good things to say about the Westin!! I will definitely stay here again when necessary.

• Stayed April 2012, travelled solo
Dear guest,

First of all We are delight it to learn that you have enjoyed your stay in our hotel, our associates goal is to create intuitive and personal service in order to feel renovated in our hotel. We are looking forward to have you back.

Our very best regards

Cristina Castillo
Modesto, CA
Reviewed 27 April 2012 via mobile

Just returned from a week at the westin PV.

Pros:
Location is close to downtown 5 minute can ride and close to the marina.
Pools are great although the ones at the Regina look nicer
Staff is very friendly

Cons:
Infrastructure. This hotel has great potential. The infrastructure needs to be maintained better. New paint, redo the pools, better kept palm trees. Do something with the closed restaurant.

Worst part is the fence they put to seperate the Club Regina. It looks awful and it's chain linked.

Overall it is nice but not up to the usual westin standard.

• Stayed April 2012
1 Thank YRamos82
Toronto, Canada
Reviewed 24 April 2012

Enjoyed my stay at this Westin hotel in Puerto Vallarta.

The Pros;
The hotel is beautiful. The rooms are nicely furnished. The Heavenly bed is indeed heavenly providing a wonderful nights sleep. Their bathrooms also have a heavenly shower. A very nice feature. I think most rooms have a balcony which was a nice treat if you are able to get a view of the ocean. Breathtaking. I found the service to be adequate. Front desk, the Bell Captain and concierge were very attentive and super friendly.

The Cons;
Its quite far from most of the downtown activity in Puerto Vallarta. About a 15-20 cab ride. The location is at the marina and as a result you must walk a bit out of your way to find different restaurant options. There is a mall (really overpriced stores, deals are scarce and hard to come by) about 5 min cab ride away.

The set-up in the room. The bathroom looks really nice with a nice tub and a glass stand up shower. However this bathroom has an interesting set of double windows that open up between the bathroom and the bedroom.These wooden set of windows fold out and can be opened from the outside as well as from the inside the bathroom. I really did not like this as at some point as was joined by a friend and we both found this awkward and lacking privacy. It might be all-right for couples that have no privacy concerns but challenging for anyone else.

The services available throughout the hotel from the spa to the massages, I found to be quite overpriced. It is a beautiful property but I felt they could have more completive prices. I had one there and it was very good but still overpriced. For the rest of my stay I went downtown and received amazing massages from certified masseuses for a quarter of the price. Just a thought.

As for the eating options. For a hotel this size it shockingly only has 1 restaurant. Which has a very limited menu and I must say, and very slow service. The food was good and a bit overpriced. Once again you will find better variety and amazing service downtown PVR. The hotel also has a bar on the main level and another swim up bar the closes quite early.

Tried out the tennis courts. Found them to be very decent. The hours of availability was not very good. The gym was all right but the hours are also not very good. This gym closes at 10pm! I thought the standard was 24hr gyms, not at this property.

Overall, I did enjoy my stay at this hotel and found it to be pleasant. However when I return to PVR I would choose another hotel that is closer to the heart downtown where there are a myriad of options for dining, exploring and activities. This hotel was very relaxing and very secure. The area is surrounding by the beautiful marina and many other all-inclusive resort style properties.

I would recommend this hotel to families and couples looking for relaxing vacationing.

• Stayed April 2012, travelled solo