“Room 307 not as memorable as previous stay (room 108)”

Blue Chairs Resort by the Sea
Ranked #118 of 123 Hotels in Puerto Vallarta
Reviewed 8 March 2012

Perhaps the third time is a not a charm? This is my third visit... every visit over the 3rd weekend of February. We arrived Wednesday late (connecting flight aborted takeoff on active runway) but were still accomodated and our room was not given away. Very efficient staff that kept trying to speak American gringo English but I kept responding in Spanish... they finally gave up didn't try to pull a fast trick to get my credit card for their shopping spree.

Room 307 was a little disappointing. Sparse furniture, but very comfy beds. The balcony has a partial view of the ocean. The room location is rather noisy at 3 in the morning: stray cats fighting for territory at the abandoned construction site behind the room and thin walls/doors (loud moaning neighbors from adjacent rooms). Plumbing leaves a little to be desired. Bathroom fixtures are far from the hot water tank and thus, you have to leave the faucets running quite a while before you can step in the shower. Toilet flush needs to be jiggled from time to time. Also, sewage odors eminate from the shower drain.

Only two occurances where our towels were not ample: first night and Saturday. They had difficulties keeping up with laundry. First night because they weren't expecting that many guests. Saturday was because of weekend.

Compared to room 109, our room (#307) does not have a fridge to store food/beverages, the only room for chairs are out on the balcony, no table to leave our laptops, not enough electrical outlets to recharge, and the entrance alcove has a slippery wet floor (exhaust from room 308's air conditioning unit).

Room Tip: Take rooms xx1 thru xx5 if you don't want to hear screaming cats at 3 in the morning.
  • Stayed: February 2012, travelled with friends
2  Thank KKua
Turn Your Opinions into Points!
Turn your opinions into JPMiles
Turn your opinions into PAYBACK Points
*You can enroll in only one programme at a time to earn rewards for reviews.

Reviewed 5 March 2012

Staff: A +++ from start to finish. They were so sweet that we forgot the two times we were stuck in the old elevator cramped in with 4 other people, no lights and no air.
Blue Chair Beach Time: A + Mostly great, sometimes we found it hard to get bar/wait service. Not sure if this is because we were two of four women we saw on the grounds or if they were unusually understaffed. It happened a few times.
Rooms: Room was a pretty big let down. The bathroom smelled like sewage from the get-go and while we waited a couple of days to tell the staff (we didn't want to bug them), their solution was to light a candle. It helped for a couple of hours but the quick-fix was just that. The smell of raw sewage, unfortunately, we pretty disgusting and kept us out of our room.
Taxi: Very easy getting to and from anywhere we wanted. A cab was pretty much outside the hotel at all times. We enjoyed that.

I chose Blue Chairs because I wanted a safe place for my partner and I to be able to feel comfortable around fellow gays. While we did and everyone was very friendly. the actual room stay could have been 10 x better for the $175 USD we paid for four nights. It makes me want to open up my own gay hotel on the strip -- Blue Chairs could use some competition. It wouldn't be hard to beat how they are currently operating. I don't think I'd stay here again -- but i'll definitely be back to enjoy chips, salsa and pina coladas on the Blue Chairs beach.

• Stayed: February 2012, travelled as a couple
2  Thank fritoboater
Reviewed 3 March 2012

I stayed at this hotel Feb 14-23. My room was on the first level so may have avoided some of the noise mentioned by other reviewers. The room must have been recently remodeled it was quite nice and comfortable. All of the staff I met at the hotel were quite friendly and helpful. The beach restaurant had good food selections that were affordable. The evening happy hour go go boy show was fun. I enjoyed hearing the surf break in the evenings.

Room Tip: If you are one who goes to bed early (Before 11PM) You might want to select a lower level room.
  • Stayed: February 2012, travelled solo
2  Thank RCIndy85
Reviewed 23 February 2012

I stayed at the Blue Chairs from February 16-21, 2012. The hotel is undergoing renovations, which is a problem as there is a lot of construction noise at times. My room had been re-done so had nice new floors and bathroom (including a new toilet and sink). The bed was nice and firm which I appreciated, though as is often the case the pillows were way too thin. The rest of the furniture in the room was falling apart and there was almost no storage. The maids basically shouted at each other while working so if you are in the hotel while they are cleaning, it is very uncomfortable. The elevator broke down frequently, but as I was on the 1st floor, I just had one flight to climb. Internet service was very spotty, at times one bar and at times 4 bars, but I was able to connect most of the time. Note that this hotel is at the bottom of a very steep road, but it is right on the beach. Other hotels along the beach have much easier access.

Room Tip: Get on a lower floor to avoid possible issues with the elevators.
  • Stayed: February 2012, travelled solo
Reviewed 21 February 2012

This may not be a 5 star hotel but you can't beat the location and friendly staff.

• Stayed: February 2012