“A 1 star hotel with a 5 star location”
Review of San Marino Hotel

San Marino Hotel
Ranked #99 of 123 Hotels in Puerto Vallarta
Reviewed 12 July 2017

Directly on the beach and very well located. A/C works great. Rooms are big.

Hotel is pretty dumpy. Bedding/Towels are old. The Bathroom has great water pressure and is largely clean (other than the shower curtain), but its old, old, and worn.

Hotel has entertainment during the day. Loud entertainment that will prevent a nap from happening even if you're a heavy sleeper. At night, some of the rooms back up to a busy pedestrian street that also has significant noise. But that usually dies down around 11pm or so. Hotel caters to families with children.

Its the kind of place where you'll live if you end up there, but you'd probably rather be somewhere else if you're staying for more than 1 night.

Room Tip: You want to be on the front of the hotel, as far away from the pool as possible and as high up as po...
  • Stayed: January 2017, travelled with friends
6  Thank BillinHouston

Reviewed 23 June 2017

I couldn't put a date because trip advisor only has certain dates to enter,but it was 3 years ago and I felt the need to thank you all fro San Marino. I am not really sure what to say except that this hotel took complete care of me.
I was in a different Hotel, Canto Del Sol and got robbed and beaten, basically left for dead. I had a bleeding-severe concussion, in which I could not travel back home for almost month. I could not walk alone being so afraid and dizziness overwhelmed me.
Canto Del Sol, kicked me out, being I would cause negative attention to the hotel.
In all my vacation ended up costing me over 15,000$, 5000$ in cell phone bills, lost my money at Canto which they would not refund me, I still have a lawyer working on my case.
Now San Marino, welcomed me with open arms, came to my room everytime I called, delivered my food, water anything I needed. Keep in mind I think I left my room 3 times in almost a month, which was really hard..but they always checked up on me.
I love this hotel so much, they basically saved my life. Every one was so wonderful to me, they took care of me, they checked in on me...
I will forever love this hotel and family feel forever. It may not be beautiful but it has the best location in PV. The staff, impeccable. They even informed and kept in touch with my insurance Company and provided everything I needed to make a claim when I finally arrived home a month later....
Thank you Staff, Management... I will love you all forever.

Room Tip: Beach Front
  • Stayed: July 2016, travelled solo
7  Thank Pila M
Reviewed 24 May 2017

My family stayed from 5/15 - 5/22. We booked 2 rooms, a double and a king. The double was beautiful, overlooking the beach and recently updated, but the king room needed a lot of work. The good thing is it was clean and the water presssure was great. The bad is you may as well be sleeping on a slab, the mattresses were that hard...both rooms!
But, I'm not staying at this hotel to spend my time in the room. I want to be out on the beach. Unfortunately, even though the palapas say they are for guests only, there is nobody taking care of the beach. We had to shag our own loungers and it didn't look like anybody cleaned up the garbage left behind each night. Also, a pop up beach restaurant set up next to and in front of the beach area, especially on he weekend. Yes, the grilled shrimp was tasty, but why do they set up table and chairs in front of the hotel? Another problem was the number of children! It must have been holiday time because every room was overfilled with children. I don't think the hotel limits the number of people allowed to stay in each room.
Finally, I booked the all inclusive for drinks and breakfast and lunch. I'm sure we got our money's worth in drinks...but the food could use some work. The eggs were tasteless, and the pancakes dry. That's ok...Dee's coffee was right next door for breakfast and Cafe de Olla , La Palapa and Si Senor Beach were nearby as well. For lunch you can't beat Joe Jack's Fish Shack ( 2 for 1 mojitos from noon to 5) or Langostino's. And a couple of nearby dinner spots are Pancho's Takos and 116 Pulpito Gastro Bar.
I have stayed at bot San Marino and Los Arcos. The rooms were better at San Marino, but the beach is definitely better at Los Arcos.

Room Tip: The best rooms seemed to be the 01 - 04 rooms. They looked over the beach.
  • Stayed: May 2017, travelled with family
6  Thank Tuffs_mom
HSMmanager, Director de Relaciones con Clientes at San Marino Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 17 July 2017

Hello, thank you for your time and for giving us a review. We are happy to know about your experience with us, and to know the pros and cons, it help us to get better.

Hope we can serve you again.
Regards

Reviewed 7 April 2017

In the range of less expensive all-inclusive this is a wonderful option. The staff, like most of the properties we have stayed at in PV, are very eager to make your stay enjoyable. The location as many others commented on is 10+, literally off the scale. You cannot find a better choice right at the entrance to the city pier and in the center of wonderful restaurants and night scene. This is not a high end property but in it's class very good.

The food was much better than anticipated especially after reading some other reviews. Every night the entrees included, fish, beef, pork, chicken, etc... so no excuse on selection. A high five because it was not prepared the same or as best we can tell not even a weekly rotation (we were there for ten days).

The room could use some upgrading however, the shower was fine. House cleaning did a good job and yes the beds were firm, a plus for us.

I would recommend this establishment to anyone looking for center PV especially all-inclusive.

Alcohol was Tecate Light or Indio beer. Hard alcohol was mostly Oso which is a major lower end distiller but for the occasion fine with us.

If you want to spend $300. plus a night go else where but in it's price range a great job!

Room Tip: higher up the better, it is a downtown location with early morning noise.
  • Stayed: April 2017, travelled as a couple
1  Thank huskerland1
HSMmanager, Director de Relaciones con Clientes at San Marino Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 27 April 2017

Hello, thank you for your preferencia, we aprecciate all of your comments, we are happy to know you had a great time and that you enjoyed San Marino. We are happy to see comment on how we can improve our service.
Warm regards from Puerto Vallarta.

Reviewed 6 April 2017

This hotel offers a great location and friendly service for budget conscience travellers. We were pleasantly surprised after having read some negative reviews. The rooms were clean and the staff were always friendly and helpful. The food was okay. There was always a wide variety though quite similar from day to day. However, we would agree with other travellers that the beds were extremely uncomfortable and that the rooms could use updating. All said and done, it was an enjoyable trip.

• Stayed: March 2017, travelled with family
2  Thank L1008

Hello, thank you for giving us a review and we aprecciate your comments, we will work about what you mention of the beds. Hope to see you here again!
To your home at Puerto Vallarta.