“I was disappointed”

Hotel Posada de Roger
Ranked #17 of 123 Hotels in Puerto Vallarta
Reviewed 21 May 2012

I go to Puerto Vallarta every year and I have a few favorite places I usually stay but I am always looking for new places based on price and location for future vacations. I have been wanting to try Posada Roger (because of it's location) for a couple of years and I was lucky that this trip gave me a chance to try it my first night while waiting to check in to my timeshare resort the next day.

I was disappointed. I expected "quaint". I got old. There is a difference. The room was just too run down and small. The manager came in the evening and told us our TV was too loud when I could hardly hear it. The 15" TV was placed in a cavity in the upper right corner of the room and I just couldn't hardly hear it. And my hearing is perfect by the way. The beds are just old and it is obvious that there is not much done in the way of maintenance. The A/C did not keep the room anywhere near cool enough.

The Positive: The front desk staff were extremely friendly at check in and check out. When you walk in you will think that is is a beautiful, quaint, little old hotel and the Mexican decor is pretty. I like the small pool and pool area.

I would stay here again if I were traveling alone, looking for an extreme bargain, and the price was right. The reason I say that is because the location is PERFECT. It is right in the middle of the absolute BEST part of Puerto Vallarta. The location is OUTSTANDING.

5  Thank david760
posadaroger, Gerente at Hotel Posada de Roger, responded to this reviewResponded 23 May 2012

Hola,
we are sorry that you didn't enjoy your stay at the hotel posada de roger.
I'm Dario Pomina , the manager of the hotel, probably the man which came to ask you about the Tv volume was another person ( maybe the recepcionist ), not me, sorry about it.
The recepcionist usually ask a guest to put the volume down only if another guest from another room complains about it.
All the tvs that we have at the hotel are 21" ( the last 15" tv was removed more than one year ago ) now most of the rooms have new LCD flat screen. Our rooms are decorated like mexican style hotel, and you can see in our pictures that some furniture are new but they always keep the mexican essence.
We are changhing the mattress, too with box spring but since we have 47 rooms we have to do it little by little
We invite you to come to visit again and I promise that the next time we will give you a room with a LCD tv with new forniture.
Thanks for apreciating our staff, we love to care for our guest, and guest like our personalized service

Turn Your Opinions into Points!
Turn your opinions into JPMiles
Turn your opinions into PAYBACK Points
*You can enroll in only one programme at a time to earn rewards for reviews.

Reviewed 15 May 2012

The hotel is really cute, very typical and personable. The location is excellent: very close to amenities, restaurants, the beach, the bus stops. The staff is very helpful and friendly. The piping network is not very good (odors in the bathroom) but nothing to really worry about. The setting is perfect for people visiting the city. The place is very calm and the upkeep is irreprochable. Really worth it.

2  Thank Maria_BS60713
posadaroger, Manager at Hotel Posada de Roger, responded to this reviewResponded 17 May 2012

Thank you so much for your comments, we have a lot of great places to visit around our Hote which does make things a lot easier for everyone. We are still in the process of renovating various things and we hope on your next visit your stay you will be 100% satisfied. Our goal is to always strive for the best.

Best Regards,

Reviewed 15 May 2012

This hotel suited us perfectly! We needed a place for a few nights before we met up with friends and stayed at their place, so just wanted an inexpensive place in a great area and this hotel was ideal for that. All emails for the reservations were answered very quickly, which of course always sets the tone for a stay.

The hotel location was ideal in that it is just a couple blocks from the beach and the Malecon, and sits right on "restaurant row" as well as near many great shops, etc.

Our room was basic but very well kept and very clean and had a lot of character, which we loved. Our beds were comfortable and the room was plenty big. There was an a/c unit as well as a ceiling fan, so we were never too hot. We heard very little outside noise as well. The shower was confusing the first morning, but only because the hot and cold water were opposite from here at home. There is a flat screen tv on the wall and we also had a fairly large table to set things on. Down in the main courtyard is a container of purified water for the guests, and in each room is a pitcher and glasses that you can use. It is a nice alternative to needing to buy bottled water.

There is a pool on the 2nd story and a nice sundeck on the 3rd story. Also an outdoor community kitchen on the 4th, which was well stocked and had several tables so a nice area if you want to cook something yourself or do takeaway. There are quite a few rotisserie chicken places around, so quite a few guests were having those for a meal here.

The front desk changes currency at very good rates.

There are safe deposit boxes by the front desk, which is set up very similar to a bank style. Very convenient and secure.

The restaurant, Freddy's Toucan, has wonderful breakfasts and is very inexpensive. I believe it is cash only, so check first if that is an issue.

There are quite a few cabs right in front of the hotel, so you don't need to call one unless it is at an odd hour.

There are so many great restaurants right on the same street, as well as an OXXO (small grocery store) and then a great bakery directly across from the hotel.

We only stayed here for a few nights as we were staying with friends after that, but we enjoyed it so much we are already making plans for a return visit to PV and will definitely book this hotel for that entire stay.

4  Thank Mtngrl
posadaroger, Manager at Hotel Posada de Roger, responded to this reviewResponded 16 May 2012

Good Afternoon,
We are very happy to hear you have left satisfied. For us it is very important to keep our guest smiling and make things as easiest as posible for everyone.
We are always happy to call a cab for any guest at hour hotel, we can always get one for you.
As long as our guest are comfortable and feel safe, everything is ok with us.
We hope you return soon and take the opporunity to enjoy a full stay with Hote Posada de Roger.

Best Regards

Reviewed 5 May 2012

Courteous and knowledgeable staff to book you in to the hotel. Rooms are clean and basic but the location is great if you want to stay in the heart of old town Vallarta. Great restaurants and cafes just outside the door and the beach is a short walk away. The air conditioner is not one those that blasts cold air on you. It gently cools the room and makes for a good nights sleep. The room we stayed in, #215, was on the side of the hotel which is on a major bus route so it was somewhat noisy. The room had a large window which made it somewhat more airy. Some of the other rooms have small small windows so they seemed a little claustrophobic to me. The bathroom in our room which smelly so that was unpleasant.

Room Tip: Because of its great location, the hotel is generally fully booked so you may have to take the room...
  • Stayed: March 2012, travelled with friends
2  Thank EdG29
Reviewed 3 May 2012

Everything about the hotel was fine, except.......I had room 207 on the first floor (second floor by American thinking). On my first morning the bathroom floor was damp and wearing rubber shower thongs, I slipped and fell. I was not hurt, but the experience was rather unpleasant. There was a 10 inch (25 cm) step between the bedroom and the bathroom. I requested a room without a step from the bedroom to the bathroom and was immediately assigned room 110. Problem solved. There is a community kitchen on the top floor. Much of the food in the refrig looked as if it had been there for years. Yes, I paid US$5,00 a day for a refrig rental.

Room Tip: Request a room on the ground floor
  • Stayed: April 2012, travelled solo