“Loved the balcony! great breakfast & good service”

BEST WESTERN Posada Freeman
Ranked #29 of 81 Hotels in Mazatlan
Kent, WA
“Loved the balcony! great breakfast & good service”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 April 2012

The service was great - reception, luggage & breakfast service. Excellent location close to Old Mazatlan. Directly across the street from the beach. Easy walk to downtown and Plaza Machado with many excellent restaurants. The breakfast buffet was included in our room price and was very good; many options that changed each day. Fresh made tortillas and good strong coffee! Our balcony view was beautiful, wonderful and worth the stay. Our first trip to Mazatlan - we spent 7 days near the Marina and 2 at Posada Freeman. The mattress was a bit hard but that's Mexico. The room furnishings are a little dated and the elevator pretty freaking scary but entertaining too! I loved sitting on the lounge chair up on the roof with a cerveza and cooling off in the refreshing pool. The 360 view from the roof is so pretty. Even if I didn't stay here, I would absolutely visit the rooftop and order a beverage. Not the cheapest beer on the street but totally worth the view! We ate at the restaurants on Olas Atlas neighboring the hotel. Good food, very reasonable and evenings are fun with live music & karaoke. You can hear it from the room but we slept through the noise. I would stay at Posada Freeman again for the balcony, breakfast, location near downtown Mazatlan & the ocean - and for the view & pool on the roof. Very enjoyable!

• Stayed March 2012, travelled as a couple
1 Thank lynnkid
Turn Your Opinions into Points!
Turn your opinions into JPMiles
Turn your opinions into PAYBACK Points
*You can enroll in only one programme at a time to earn rewards for reviews.
JPMiles / Payback Arrow
JPMiles / PAYBACK

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (39)
montana
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 March 2012

This hotel was recommened by an acqaintence; we would not have chosen it from the reviews, etc. The rooms are a little dated and the king bed fills most of it. Shower was fine. On a Saturday night, the center is a noisy place, and you cannot escape it, even on the eighth floor, which affected out sleep quality score.. And yes, the eleveator may be 50 years old. That said, breakfast was absolutely wonderful (included in price, for 2 people) with fresh squeezed OJ, coffee, and five or six entrees to choose from, buffet style. The staff was very, very friendly and helpful. And the location is perfect if you want to explore the old part of town.

• Stayed March 2012, travelled as a couple
1 Thank bstan
Dallas, TX
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 February 2012

A great stay!!! Got the hotel based on a "steal" of a rate through my employer's website. The rate was so low, I can't even disclose it. Put it this way, my transportation round trip to and from the airport was more than the cost of my stay for 5 days. Breakfast every morning for free!!! And the breakfast was soooooo good, every single day!!!!
I can't complain about my stay or the accommodations, especially considering what my daily rate was, so I won't. However, the mattress was hard as a brick, which is not unusual for hotels in Mexico and the elevator is loud and kind of scary to ride in at times. As you will see, my comments regarding the mattress and elevator is not much different than previous posts.
The service was great! 1. On arrival from the airport, we were greeted and assisted with our luggage. 2. I booked my travel online through an Agent and when I arrived, we were not bothered with having to supply a credit card deposit. 3. Our luggage was brought to the room. 4. If interested in a balcony, you need to bug them big time before your arrival. Once I arrived I still didn't have a balcony room, so I asked again and was given one. The view was of the city and the balcony was off to the side, so my view wasn't that great, but the balcony served its purpose (wink, wink). 5. Location, location, location....awesome! This hotel is located in Old Mazatlan. So if you want to get away from the tourist and hang with the locals, this is the place to be, no doubt. Situated right on the beach!!!! However this hotel has a excellent pool on the top of the roof, so that is where we hung out the most. The pool is kind of small, but no big deal. The view from the roof is awesome too. Drinks at the bar, a little high priced and didn't taste that great. Buy and drink Pacifico, it is bottled there and therefore really inexpensive and costs the same as a soda.
The restaurants located on the same street as the hotel are awesome. Food is great and really inexpensive. Drinks and dinner for two, averages about $10.00 per person. Seafood is direct from the ocean across the street to the table. Doesn't get any better than that!!! A bottle of Pacifico ranges from $1.00 to $1.50. Check out La Copa de Leche, La Fonda and the Shrimp Bucket, these restaurants are all on the same street within walking distance of the Freeman. Also check out the square/plaza located behind the property about 4 blocks up. Lots of restaurants and coffee shops to chill at. Best coffee can be found at Allegro (I think that is the name of it) and there is a bakery right across the street, which has really beautiful items.

Now, lets get down to the question that every one wants to ask. IS IT SAFE IN MEXICO??? I will put it to you as simple as I can....you want to see trouble, you want to be a part of trouble, then you will find it, but that is no different than any place, right?????? In Mazatlan, they do every thing under the sun to protect their $$$$ oops, did I say that???? They stride to protect the tourists. If you are concerned about your safety, use the buddy system and most importantly, mind your business, but at the same time be aware of your surroundings. Don't start nothing, won't be nothing.

The weather in February, is good. Average high 80 degrees and cools down in the evening, where you would probably want to wear a lite jacket or sweater.

I have been to several places in Mexico and Mazatlan rates as one of the best.

• Stayed February 2012, travelled with friends
1 Thank sd_callis
Slave Lake, Canada
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 February 2012

After visiting Mazatlan for 13 years we decided to take a few nights and spend them at the Posada Freeman and we thoroughly enjoyed our experience in downtown Mazatlan. The roof top pool and deck offered an amazing view. Even though the pool is not heated we did go for a dip one morning after hiking up to the lighthouse (this is a must if you have not done before). We requested a oceanview room and got a room on the front of the building on the 4th floor, I enjoyed sitting out on the balcony drinking a Pacifico and eating a delicious treat from one of the downtown bakeries.

The breakfast was a great bonus and the resturants around the hotel are amazing and a great value.

The downtown area of Mazatlan is an amazing experience that can't be missed. We are looking forward to returning to the Posada Freeman again.

• Stayed January 2012, travelled with friends
Seattle, Washington
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 June 2011

The rooms are rather ordinary. They are clean and have everything you need. The elevator is scary with bumps and misaligned stop. The view and rooftop pool are worth the price alone, so it's a pretty good deal overall. Although my room did flood from a non-draining shower.

Stayed May 2011, travelled solo