2,195 results
All reviews casa roberto golden zone joe's oyster bar ocean view shrimp factory italian restaurant beach vendors beach area hotel restaurant north side open air main pool all inclusive plan great beach sports bar felt very safe all inclusive option
Reviewed 2 May 2018 via mobile

This was our second time at this resort and I actually enjoyed it more this time. The resort is about 35-40 minutes from the airport, but there's a lot to look at on the way, so it goes by quickly. Check-in went super fast and there were no issues. The staff was able to put our room close to others in our group that we traveled with (although this resort isn't too spread out, so it's not a huge deal). I will say that we got an ocean view room and the view and sound of the waves was amazing! Our room was large too, but the bathrooms could use an upgrade. The other thing, and I feel I'm not even super picky, but I did find the mattresses quite hard. I was usually so tired by the end of the night that I slept well anyway. Housekeeping was good. And we had to call them once for an item and they responded quickly. Which leads me to the staff at this resort....the majority of them go above and beyond. Many told us they've worked there for 20-30 years. We saw several that were there when we visited last year. Great, friendly staff.
Pools - all but one were heated, which is nice. They have a nice variety of pools for guests of all ages. My kids enjoyed the mini slides, but had fun in all the pools. The pirate ship kiddie pool was very cold. The beautiful rock pool was on the chilly side, but was refreshing. They opened the swim up bra, from the last time we visited, and that was a nice addition (although it was too cold for me to get to! lol). We also like the grotto area with the rock tunnels. It's a fun change of pace. My kids, 7 & 9 enjoy the 'cliff jumping'. Overall, good grades for pools.
Food - I thought the food is good. Huge selection at breakfast. Two options for lunch, plus there's a little snack shack. Dinner can be in the buffet, which we never did, or Italian, Brazilian or Mexican. You need reservations for Italian and Brazilian. Italian was fabulous last time and fabulous again this trip! The red wine in the actual ala carte restaurants us better than the bar red wine. The white wine was not too bad from all locations. Drinks were ok. They'd benefit from a fancy drink menu with the drink pics and ingredients.
The location of this resort is tough to beat. Right on a beautiful beach. We walked along the beach for about 45 minutes one day. It's just lovely. And the waves are fine for children. Not really any great smorkling, but no big deal. The resort did have boogie boards, so thst was fun for the kids. Another benefit to the location is the proximity to town. We were able to walk day and night and feel completely comfortable. Lots of restaurants, shops, etc.
Other - we went to the shell museum, which was a hit and within walking distance of the resort. We also went to the aquarium, which was a big hit and worth the trip. It's only $6/person and a short taxi ride.
I can't think of anything else at the moment, but we enjoyed the trip. This resort isn't a true 4.5 star place, but it gets high marks from me for location, fab beach, excellent/helpful staff, good food. More evening entertainment would be nice. Thanks for a nice vacay!

Trip type: Travelled with family
2  Thank khealey19ca
Hotel_Playa_Mazatlan, Gerente at Hotel Playa Mazatlan, responded to this reviewResponded 2 May 2018

Dear valued guest
We are always excited to get feedback, glad to know you and yours were able to enjoy your stay from our wine selection to all the pools and specialty restaurants to the surrounding areas as well, thank you for sharing. We feel not only honored but motivated, please let us know if we can be of any further service. Gracias

Reviewed 29 April 2018

My husband's family has been staying at Playa Mazatlan since the 60's and always loved just relaxing on the beach, listening to the ocean. Our most recent visit was not so relaxing. The Banda bands setting up right in front of the guests, blaring their music with amplifiers was very disturbing. Pity the poor person who enjoys napping on the beach, with the ocean sounds in front of them, only to get shocked by loud obnoxious drums, tubas, etc. We noticed there are signs inside the palapas requesting guests do not hire these bands, but guess that is really not enforced as it went on for quite some time. Don't think we'll be coming back to the Playa as it not the relaxing place we remembered.

• Trip type: Travelled as a couple
3  Thank mydude2014

Dear valued guest
Let me begin by apologizing for the situation you mention, please know we have been in touch with the city for some time now since the bands are regulated by it, we are trying to push for more strict regulations and we will keep in our plea. Also we will be speaking to our security personal to make sure we emphisize our regulations, in the hopes of mantaining our beach area enjoyable for all guests,
We hope for an oportunity to be of service once again.

Reviewed 24 April 2018

This resort was very clean with comfortable beds. Reviews that I read said the beds were hard, however, we didn't find them such. We spent 2 weeks at this resort and our room cleaner was Claudia and she did a wonderful job. We spent time at the pool area and most days ate lunch there. The hamburgers were about the best I have ever had. There was always some activities going on for everyone. My only complaint is that there was no mini bar in our room and we couldn't get a drink until 11 a.m. Overall it was a great stay and to add it was in the middle of the Golden Zone, which was a plus.,

Date of stay: March 2018
1  Thank mgolson569
Hotel_Playa_Mazatlan, Gerente at Hotel Playa Mazatlan, responded to this reviewResponded 25 April 2018

Dear valued guest
We feel honored, thanks a lot for sharing. Please know we bring every single rating up to our weekly management meeting in the hopes of learning and improving.
We greatly apprecciate your kind comments.

Reviewed 20 April 2018

My husband and I spent a week here in mid-March. I read tons of Trip Advisor reviews prior to traveling and frankly didn't know what to expect as some folks are hard to please. I'm happy to say that the service was very good in all aspects. The front desk was very helpful (they even printed out our boarding passes when we were ready to leave), the restaurant staff were friendly and attentive, and the housekeeper was awesome and diligently cleaned our room to a tee every day (including towel art). The grounds were just beautiful with several pools and sitting areas. We were fortunate (and unfortunate) enough to have a corner boutique room (Villa Hermosa) on level 5 right on the beach. Fortunate enough because it was just beautiful with a wrap around balcony and a small kitchen. Unfortunate in that we were plagued with putting up with the "beach bands". Let me preface the following by saying that the hotel is not at fault at all as they have no control over the beach bands. But, this is certainly something to consider if you want a beachfront room. These bands are paid by folks on the beach to play. Depending on the day of the week, they can play for only 3-4 hours or all night long. We noticed that earlier in the week, they'd arrive in the early afternoon and leave around 5:00ish. Later in the week and closer to the weekend, they stay later. On a Saturday night, they were still playing at 2:00 a.m. It wouldn't have been so bad if they weren't so loud. I'm not exaggerating when I say that with our sliding glass doors closed, we still had to yell to each other to hear what we were saying because some of the bands actually have amplifiers. So the first few days weren't too bad, but by the end of the week I was absolutely exhausted by them. And, sadly, most of the bands were not that good at all. An earlier reviewer recommend ear plugs and I thought he was exaggerating. He was not. Definitely buy ear plugs. Aside from the beach bands, though, our stay was perfect.

Date of stay: March 2018
  • Trip type: Travelled as a couple
1  Thank 413SharonL
Hotel_Playa_Mazatlan, Gerente at Hotel Playa Mazatlan, responded to this reviewResponded 21 April 2018

Dear valued guest
Thank you for your kind rating and comments, we are truly honored by your feedback as it only allows us to learn and opens up areas of opportunity for improvement. We do have pushed with the city for more strict rules and regulations, and will continue to.

As always, happy to be of service

Reviewed 18 April 2018

We were pleasantly happy with our whole visit at the Playa. Although when we first checked in and got to our home and realized that our room was ocean view, which we requested, but above where everyone sat and the bands were playing very loudly. We requested if we could change our room and very quickly were given the opportunity to look at another room...which was a great location. All the staff at the resort are very friendly and helpful...thank you to Elisabeth at the concierge counter and Denisse at the bar who was always helpful and always had a smile on their faces. I would recommend this resort and have since we have been back home to experience Mazatlan, they will love it. It is definitely remaining on our list of a place that we will return to. Thanks to all the staff from the time our feet landed on the ground in front of the resort to unfortunately the day our feet had to leave the ground to go home.

Room tip: Ocean view is the way to go from our experience but the poolside rooms looked quite nice to
  • Trip type: Travelled with friends
1  Thank Sue S
Hotel_Playa_Mazatlan, Gerente at Hotel Playa Mazatlan, responded to this reviewResponded 19 April 2018

Dear valued guest
We greatly apprecciate the time taken to share your feedback, as this allows us to learn from your visit. Our main goal is to send our visitors happy and already wanting to come back, so feedback is always helpful.
We hope for the opportunity to be of service once again, gracias