“Riu Emerald Bay Review.” 4 of 5 bubbles
Review of Hotel Riu Emerald Bay

Hotel Riu Emerald Bay
Ranked #10 of 81 Hotels in Mazatlan
GTA
“Riu Emerald Bay Review.”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 September 2012

I haven't gotten around to reviewing our vacation back in march 2012 until now. My husband and I stayed in a beautiful ocean-view room on the 9th floor. The room was very clean, and was cleaned every day and left spotless for us when we arrived back in the room in the afternoon. It was a cheap little getaway when it was cold in Canada.

The food was pretty good, there was a little bit of everything at the Buffet. But the food was a bit bland and repetitive. You could always find something to eat, though! The beach was beautiful, but the air by the sea smelled a bit funny...I'll leave it at that. The outside pools and garden area around the pools is just fantastic! We spent most of our time there. You can always find a pool that is not too crowded. The swim-up bar pool is always the most full. The pool area was also kept so clean! We couldn't believe how often the staff were coming around to collect cups and garbage.

It was a little difficult to book a reservation at the restaurants. We somehow ended up getting into all 3 though. The Mexican restaurant was good. The steak in the steakhouse was very tasty! (Although our night was the last night of the Steakhouse until November 2012 I believe...not sure why they took the steakhouse out.) And the Japanese restaurant was pretty good. Sushi wasn't great, but the other options were good.

Bottom line, if you get a good deal on a trip to this resort, take it! It'll be worth it.

Room Tip: Don't pay extra for the "oceanview" room. All of the rooms are ocean-view.
  • Stayed March 2012, travelled as a couple
10 Thank Mandy M
Turn Your Opinions into Points!
Turn your opinions into JPMiles
Turn your opinions into PAYBACK Points
*You can enroll in only one programme at a time to earn rewards for reviews.
JPMiles / Payback Arrow
JPMiles / PAYBACK

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (833)
West Palm Beach, Florida
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 September 2012

i was told, "Delbin we are taking you on a surprise vacation for your 20th birthday" & i didnt have ANY idea where i was going, all i knew is i wanted to get out of the USA, lol, when we got to MEXICO, i was like "Oh my god" i was not happy until i got to this resort, as soon as i came in i was greeted, treated like a king, i was like "YES" , the customer service is amazing, we had a little problem with our rooms but they fixed it right away and got us different rooms, we was happy, really nice pool/ocean view, this resort is HUGE, the pools are HUGE, the bars are AMAZING, and the restaurants are GREAT, you have alot of food and different cultures to choose from, my trip was amazing and i thank the staff that made it great with such great personalities, this is a resort i will love to come back too.

• Stayed November 2011, travelled with family
3 Thank delbin n
Santa Fe, NM
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 August 2012

We went there for a girls weekend. Just what the doctor ordered. A lot of young children and families there, too - so its not just for the spring break crowd. Food got a bit repetitive. Although a short walk away, there is a great coffee place. As other reviewers mentioned, the wine at this hotel is to be avoided. From what I remember, we had fun.

• Stayed February 2012, travelled with friends
2 Thank Marty_Malbec_6100
Ontario
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 August 2012

This hotel is a 5 star, the food was outstanding, the room was clean and very large and beautiful view of the ocean from our room. Do not travel here during Summer holidays as the hotel is over run by Mexicans on vacation. They are not at all like Canadians. They wont let you exit the elevator before crowding on and crushing you. They are very rude and abrupt. I would not have believed it !, except for the fact that I saw this with my own eyes. Stay out of the town of Mazatlan as it is very dangerous. We made the mistake of taking a bus into town. While we shopped at the local mall. Mexican police in swat gear searched the mall for suspected drug dealers who the evening before shot and killed 5 officers.

• Stayed September 2011, travelled as a couple
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
7 Thank jzcoolOntario
Denver, Co
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 August 2012

We book a week at the Riu Emerald Bay in Mazatlan for a family vacation, we found it VERY crowded. I don't mind the crowds, but I don't think the hotel was prepared to deal with this many people. I would definitely pay a little extra at other resort in exchange for some customer service.

The restaurants were good, but in my week stay, I managed to get ONE reservation at one of
the ala-carte restaurants... I always called in very early and they were already booked.
I called several times to complain, and the customer service person answering the phone, told me when I was speaking to her in english.. (Sr, please, we are in Mexico, speak spanish...) in a very condescending tone...
When it was time to check out (check out 11AM), I went for a quick swim before packing everything up. I came back to my room at 10:30 AM to find out that the key to my room have been deactivated... I called the front desk to ask why, and the guy told me that it was time to check out and that I was not allowed in the room anymore. that if I wanted to get back in, I needed to pay the late check out fee!!! WTF!!!..
We were in the 8th floor and this back and forth with the front desk took more than 1 hour to solve.. by noon I was back in my room and packing..

The elevators in this place are HORRIBLE!, My poor father had to wait one day over an hour to go downstairs.. just horrible elevator service....

anyways, I see other reviews and some say "nice place to relax" - LOL! were we staying at the same hotel?... I don't think so....

anyways. finally I want to say that I have stayed at other Riu hotels and I have always had very good service. this time in mazatlan (with other 2000 people) was not a very satisfying experience.

Will I be coming back to Riu Emerald Bay Mazatlan.... NO..
Do I recommend it? - NO

Room Tip: Get a room in the VERY low levels.. Floor 1 or 2 you'll still be walking a lot, but at least...
  • Stayed August 2012, travelled with family