“Wonderful Experience!”
Review of Tesoro Manzanillo

Tesoro Manzanillo
Ranked #5 of 52 Hotels in Manzanillo
Reviewed 4 September 2012

We stayed at Tesoro Manzanillo August 18-25, 2012. We paid for 2 "Mountain View" rooms directly thru the hotel's website and when we arrived the hotel was only at 50% capacity due to the rainy season so they checked us in to rooms 309 and 310, the lower building that overlooks the pool, beach, and ocean view in front, and the tennis court in back.

To our family, the location of the hotel could not be beat. It was perfectly central to every activity we had. It is a short walk to a 24 hour mini-mart (Kiosko) for snacks and treats, and being right on the beach in it's own cove was fantastic!

We took a taxi north to Santiago bay a couple times for roughly $7 usd each way, and walked down the hill to the main road and took a public bus south to El Centro and the Malecon for about $0.60 each (one way)! We also took a taxi to the first class bus station (for a day trip to Colima) for about $7.

It is obvious this is an older hotel, but you can tell they did their best to keep it as clean as they could considering many years of use. The rooms had a faint musty smell when you first walk in, but being that the climate is so humid and you are RIGHT on the beach what do you expect? It was nothing that would be a deal-breaker. The rooms we had were tile floors and the decor was updated not too long ago. The bed linens were thin but soft, and clean. The mattresses were on the firm side, but cozy, not like concrete. We had no issues with bugs or dirt in the rooms, altho there was a bit of mold on the sheer part of the curtains (I don't know how they could prevent this with the humidity, so, oh well!) The bathrooms were outdated but functional, the sink would not turn off completely all week and had a constant trickle of water, we got used to it and didn't notice it over the sound of the waves right outside our sliding door! The shower stream was just fine, and had no trouble with too hot/too cold. There was a mini-fridge which was stocked daily with 2 waters and 2 sodas. TV, hairdryer, table, 2 chairs, and the tv hutch which also tripled as a dresser and storage for the fridge. There was a decent sized closet to hang clothes, and a digital safe that was large enough to hold things like a DSLR camera (for example) and plenty of other items.

There was one main buffet, a palapa that served as a lunch restaurant, an a la cart restaurant, and the showroom that doubled as a dinner theater room.

The main buffet was where breakfast was available, great choices and also an omelet station! The food was great at breakfast. Lunch was sometimes in the palapa, and sometimes just outside the buffet area. Lunch was the same every day, hamburgers, hot dogs, chips with cheese/bean dip, and fries. It was our least favorite meal of the day. There was no snack bar during the hours lunch was closed and dinner was open, so one day we missed out on eating lunch when we didn't get out of the pool in time. Dinner at the buffet was good 2 of 3 nights we ate there, dinner at the dinner theater was good 1 out of 2 nights we ate there, and dinner was EXCELLENT both nights we ate at the a la cart restaurant (Italian and Mexican nights.)

The beach was awesome, the waves were very swimmable and my husband and 13 yr old daughter got some great snorkeling done! Both kids had fun body surfing and playing in the waves. We didn't see a single jellyfish all week.

The pool was great but overcrowded most of mid-week, at full capacity I don't know how the one pool would have been enough. The water was not quite cool enough for my taste, but it is being heated by the sun all day so there really isn't anything you can complain about. We did the water aerobics and had so much fun! The staff was great at pool entertainment. They do play ery loud music most of the day, and the music was mostly mid-90's American top-40, and a mix of unknown (to us) Mexican/Spanish dance music.. We brought our own iPod and speakers but the music was so loud we didn't use ours much. We observed the pool being cleaned early every single morning, the only part that was neglected was around the pool bar under the edge of the table part, which had quite a bit of black slimy mold in the grout of the tiles.

Drinks- we ended up drinking beer most of the week because the blended and mixed drinks were not very good. This would probably be my one complaint of the hotel. I tried many different drinks thru the week trying to find one that would be better, and I think it was a combination of issues that made the drinks under par. The soda is very watery so any drinks mixed with lemon-lime or cola were awful. Any drink that used kahlua/cream were poured from a gallon jug that was pre-mixed. Sometimes you could get "top shelf" liquor like Bacardi, but the best vodka I saw available was Smirnoff, and only in the Lobby Bar. Either way, the beer (Sol) was good, cold, and plentiful, and we enjoyed it con limon, and mixed in Ojo Rojo's... YUM!

Elevators and stairs, we used a combo of both all week long and never had issues with either. The stairways do not have railings, if that is important to you, and even the ground floor rooms have some steps down to the pool area. There is no beach access any way other than down sets of stairs (that we could find.) We never had trouble finding pool loungers, and the towels were nice and big.

Overall we had an amazing week and a wonderful experience at Tesoro Manzanillo, and we can't wait to visit again someday!

I think I've covered just about everything, but if you have any questions, please feel free to message me here!

Room Tip: Floors 1-5 are all pool/ocean view! Rooms 309 and 310 are perfect and close to stairs.
  • Stayed: August 2012, travelled with family
8  Thank MrsThatsMyJeep

Reviewed 11 August 2012

Excellent value , incredible service , delicious food , great entertainment !!! I honestly recommend it . The staff is very friendly and the hotel has several amenities . I was there very close to Christmas and the staff was having their Christmas party and me and my friend were cordially invited !!!

• Stayed: December 2011
2  Thank maribela_14
Reviewed 23 July 2012

Before is seletected this hotel I confirmed if this was optional AI hotel and was was told it was, so i opt for no AI. Well after traveling two days and arriving to the Hotel. I was told it was mandatory AI. Since we were not prepared we only stood 4 days instead of 7 days. I counted everyday down before we left. That said, Here is my take on the hotel. I would never recommend this hotel, it very run down, broken tiles, fixtures, half hangin curtains, but clean. Pool water was brownish at best. The only prostive was pool staff entertained every day all day. This is not a two star hotel. I made the best of it, the Al food was the same everyday, fish, fish soup, white rice with vegal, smashed beans, chicken mess, just to name a few. Then the left overs which are not used are made into other dishes for lunch or breakfast and dinner the next day. There to two elevators which sometime work, beware. I travel at least 5 times a year to mexico and recommend areas and hotels. This Hotel and Manzanillo will not be recommended to anyone.

• Stayed: June 2012, travelled with family
10  Thank EQtravels
Reviewed 10 July 2012

Me and my family stayed at this Hotel for 1 night, it was recommended to us because of the all inclusive, we got there after lunch time and at the check in point we were told that if we did not have reservation they would credit us a little bit for missing lunch... We enjoyed our stay, they have several activities for adults and kids, the night show is okay, their food and variety is good and service is also very good.

Room Tip: All of their rooms are ocean view, I noticed the king size bedrooms are in a different side from the...
  • Stayed: July 2012, travelled with family
1  Thank Yolis-CA
Reviewed 3 May 2012

I was at Tesoro Manzanillo for a conference for 5 days. As we arrived, we noticed the facilities in general were old/outdated but fairly clean. The conference rate was fair and, as far as I heard, they offer good packages/deals for a week( esp. for working class Mexican families from neighboring cities). Since there was a fair at the neighbor state of Aguascalientes, there were a lot of Mexican families taking over the facilities and if you wanted to swim, you needed to do it very early in the morning. Otherwise you would find the pool full o f kids and very hyper adolescents with no room to even stretch your arms.

The rooms were clean when we got there but the next couple of days the cleaning lady didn't really do her best and we found sand in our beds and all around the room. The bathrooms were extremely old; the bathtub was so old that it wasn't white anymore and you could see all the rust around the faucet.
The food, well, for the price we paid, I guess we shouldn't complain about it but after 3 days, we decided to eat out (downtown).
They have one main pool, not that big and a nice kids' area with 2 small pools and slides, a little bit secluded from the main area but perfect for babies and toddlers.

Their nightly shows were short, enough to relax a little bit and go to bed afterwards. The Nirvana lounge offered free alcoholic drinks, and again, for the rate you paid, don't expect strong drinks or snacks to complement the drinks.

The staff in the evening was decent but it was Mauricio (night shift) the only one very attentive and helpful when I requested room service after hours (close at 11 pm).
If you want to visit Manzanillo with your family on a tight budget, this is your hotel but if you are planning a romantic getaway with more luxurious facilities, please go somewhere else.

Room Tip: Our room was on the 5th floor (almost ocean view), the ac worked fine but there were many birds nest...
  • Stayed: April 2012, travelled on business