Tesoro Manzanillo
Holiday Inn Express Manzanillo(Manzanillo)(Great Value!)
US$ 66
US$ 64
US$ 103
US$ 93
Hotel Marbella(Manzanillo)
US$ 43
US$ 42
Savings alert! 30% below average rates

The price you found is 30% lower than this hotel's average rate of US$ 60/night.

City Express Manzanillo(Manzanillo)(Great Value!)
US$ 49
US$ 48
Savings alert! 20% below average rates

The price you found is 20% lower than this hotel's average rate of US$ 60/night.

Mar Celeste(Manzanillo)
US$ 154
US$ 150
  • Pool
Dolphin Cove Inn(Manzanillo)(Great Value!)
US$ 77
US$ 75
Savings alert! 29% below average rates

The price you found is 29% lower than this hotel's average rate of US$ 106/night.

Las Hadas By Brisas(Manzanillo)(Great Value!)
US$ 113
US$ 110
  • Pool
Hotel Villas Los Angeles(Manzanillo)(Great Value!)
US$ 81
US$ 78
Hotel La Posada(Manzanillo)(Great Value!)
US$ 54
US$ 48
Barcelo Karmina(Manzanillo)
US$ 271
US$ 250
1,331 results
All reviewsfishsnack barentertainment staffmaster suiteocean viewa lot of funnightly showsbuffet restauranta la cartesmall bayjust returned from a weekmake reservationstennis courtsala cartgreat resortmexican foodinclusive resorts
Reviewed 5 April 2012

Went here with two girlfriends in March 2011 and had a great time. Hotel could use a little updating but rooms were confortable. Food was average at best but we always managed to find something to eat. Beach and pool area was wonderful. Had a blast at the onsite disco. Staff was great. Manzanillo is a wonderful area to explore. We would return if the price was right.

• Stayed: May 2011, travelled with friends
1  Thank VicSunSeeker82
Reviewed 2 April 2012

We went to Tesoro Manzanillo from March 9 to 16, first trip to Mexico. From the beginning I must admit that the place (Manzanillo) is great and the town is interesting and completely different from what we were expecting. The views and the scenery are amazing! I loved the ocean - the Pacific is, to me, so much different than the Atlantic; I loved the waves (nice big waves!), there was a beach (Miramar) where you could just walk and walk and walk for hours without the beach coming to an end. Food is good, both in the hotel and out - if you go there (to Manzanillo I mean) make sure you eat at "Il Tablao" restaurant, on the Miramar beach! The burritos there are to die for, and to eat those and have a nice cold beer (with salt and lime) directly on the beach, watching the waves crash right @ your feet, is an afternoon extremely well spent!
Now the hotel. Well, it was quite big - 19 floors, to be more exact. You don't want to be on the 1st floor, since it's right on the main pool which is open from 8 am to 8 pm, and on the same level with one of the buffet restaurants (which closed the 3rd day of our stay there, for renovations! too bad, because the buffet is open to the sea and sort of on the beach, and it was nice to eat there...). A couple from our group was on the 5th floor and still complained about the noise - pool, buffet, beach, disco/party on the beach or at the outside bar close to the pool. Then on the 6th floor you have the lobby of the hotel & the lobby bar (open from 17:30 to 1am) and on the 7th you have the second buffet restaurant and the "a la carte" restaurant (2 nights mexican, 2 nights italian - I'll get back to those later). But then you'll be on a higher floor (we were on the 14th then changed with a room on the 10th) and you'll spend many long minutes trying to get into one of the 3 elevators available. Because even if you can go down the stairs, let's say, for sure you won't be that willing (and able, lol) after hours and hours of hot sun and swimming - especially with a kid! So it's a bit complicated. The rooms are really, really, really basic. White (with black surrounding the A/C exhaust), with one or two beds that can be a challenge even for the hard-mattress amateurs like myself. TV (lots of cartoons), a safe for which you have to pay ($1/day) and a hairdryer - no coffee maker, no iron, not the minimum to sew a garment if an accident happens. The bathroom is similar to the room - extremely basic, but there are no problems with the water and if something is not working (like the hot water knob at our shower) you call the reception and in a few minutes someone will come and fix it. All the floors throughout the hotel are white marble and I actually loved the concept of the hotel - too bad is was really not cared for! One other thing: we turned off the A/C during the night, otherwise we would have died because of the cold, LOL! We were leaving it on during the day, and at about 7 when we were going up to our room to shower and change clothes for dinner, we were turning it off and leaving it like that 'till the next morning. The way the rooms are cleaned - well let's just say I've seen a lot better. And the day I actually looked at the orange-y bed skirt was a sad day for me! :)))) You can leave something for them (money, not stuff like in Cuba) or not, the cleaning is as basic as possible anyway. Mini-fridge gets stocked with 2 small bottles of water and two cans of Pepsi/ 7Up every day.
The hotel has a nice kids' club, with water slides and a small pool and stuff, but no one is actually watching the kids. Mine is 7 and pretty independent and also careful, so I could trust him enough to leave him alone there, but smaller kids have to be watched.
The food is good. I had to watch how I was composing my plate because otherwise I doubt I would have been able to fit into my clothes once back home! I was expecting more interesting sweets but there weren't (I have to admit I couldn't wait to try some original Mexican churros but... no luck!). Both "a la carte" restaurants offer good food - don't try the Caprese salad, though, because it's not really edible. On the other hand, you have to ask for the guacamole when it's Mexican night(s) - it's the best I ever had! (You have to ask the guy for it because it is not on the menu!) And take a camera with you and make sure you order a Spanish coffee - you'll absolutely enjoy the show! The food at the restaurant outside is good too, and hamburger/ hot-dogs/ fries lovers will get their fix. We're not crazy about them but my kid ate a hot-dog once and he said it was good. And they have a nice cheese sauce to go with those, so... it's OK. We had plenty of salads, fresh fruits and vegetables - great! The bar by the pool is open from 11 am to 6 pm. For coffee lovers: tough luck, there is no coffee! LOL Well actually there is, but only at the buffet restaurant on the 7th floor, during the breakfast/ lunch/ dinner hours. And that's it. No coffee at any of the bars, none at the restaurant close to the pool. Oh, and you don't have to dress up for dinner. I brought some more elegant/evening clothes (more than the shorts and jeans 3/4 and the t-shirts, I mean, nothing extravagant) with me, because wherever we went in Cuba one has to dress up for dinner & the evening show and stuff, but nobody would do that here, apparently. Of course you can still wear your high heel, glittery, strap sandals and whatever dress goes with them, but be prepared to be the only one dressed like that.
The beach - nice, you could walk some 15 mins from one end to the other. There is a big building being built near the hotel and this is not that nice, but it's OK. The sand is black. Rougher that the one in Cuba and black - yes, black. Quite a turn off for me, it made me think of oil spills and that kind of stuff, but it is sand and it is clean.
Couple of last things - the hotel was non-smoking (you could only smoke outside/ on the balcony) and it had 99% Mexican clients. And the people working there are not too proficient in English, so you'll improve your Spanish. :)
Overall it was an interesting experience and I loved it for the scenery and for the things I discovered about Mexico but no, I wouldn't go back too soon.

Room Tip: All the rooms have ocean view - the ones at the higher floors, though, have a better view, I think. Also make sure to ask for a room with a balcony if you are a smoker of you just want to enjoy early morning while the kids are still sleeping. There are small balconies and larger ones. We had a small one, and the room was nowhere near the "deluxe" promised by the agency.
  • Stayed: March 2012, travelled with family
4  Thank Ioana_D_Canada
Reviewed 31 March 2012

WE stayed at the tesoro the week of the 20-27.flying air transat going was ok coming home way different story.as other reveiws stated food was good NEVER hot or even luke warm but still tasted well servers were great . i did read reveiws before i booked all things stated are true. just matters what bothers you.i will say some things stated i thought wouldnt bother me did. i found the resort very crowed most time we found we left the resort most of the time and the place is very nice people are nice you really should learn to speak spanish more then we did before you went it would be easier the excursions we did was fun but the hotel was just ok. i have seen more interaction with entertaiment staff at other places then we saw here the way home with transat was horriable to say the least and i was surprised we have travel with them before and never had a problem . all in all see it done it probably wont do it again. its a big world out there lots to see lots to do.

Room Tip: they are all old
  • Stayed: March 2012, travelled with family
2  Thank 154954Happy
Reviewed 30 March 2012

We stayed at the Tesoro from Mar 20-27 flying with Transat from Winnipeg. The flight was a non event and check in through customs was, as other readers mentioned, very slow going. The bus ride to the resort took about 25-30 minutes and we were provided with tips of what to see along the way by our Transat Rep Miguel.

Check in was a bit slow going. They did charge us a $1.00/day for the room safe but we were not charged to use the computers in the business centre to send a few messages back/forth to our family members. We asked for room 408 in advance but instead was assigned room 411 instead which turned out to be OK. The room had a cathederal ceiling and a king size bed and like other members noted the bed was just great in terms of comfort.

The resort is a bit disorienting at first given the layout of the building but once oriented we had no problem finding our way around. The architectual design of this resort is outstanding and very appeasing to the eye. This resort is like a grand old lady who unfortunately is showing her signs of aging. The plumbing fixtures and door hardware are worn and one can see various nicks and cracks in the room furnishings but the water was hot and the pressure just right to shower off the day's sweat from beach volley ball. The air conditioning worked very well and was very quiet. Our room was cleaned daily and a 'towel swan" adored our room on most days after a thorough cleaning. The resort staff were friendly enough but not overbearing which suited us fine.

The main floor restaurant was unfortnuately closed for roof repairs leaving only the buffet, the snack bar and one ala cart restaurant available. To compensate resort management did increase the food variety at the snack bar and alternated the menu at the ala cart from Mexican to Italian every other day. No problem getting reservations for the ala cart.

We were impressed with the quality and taste of the food items provided. We do appreciate food well prepared and noted the dishes presented, although not great in number, were very distinctive in taste and never over salted. Yes the cuisine was slanted towards mexican tastes but boy were they good! The fish was outstanding especially the snapper and the cold fish platter. The cake deserts were moist and never oily. This is not 3.5 star cuisine as we stayed at higher rated hotels and never had this consistent quality of food. Alcoholic beverage were not watered down and the house wine was acceptable for meals. Bartenders were generous when mixing drinks so beware cocktail lovers as you can become quickly intoxicated after several mixed drinks.

The resort’s beach front is small and the sand quality is granular. If you are a beach person and love fine white sands then this resort is not for you. We did trek over to Playa Mirimar which has the nicest sand and longest beach in the area but it a long walk from the resort. Mirimar has a number of vendors, beach restaurants, and several tourist markets. You could take the local bus or taxi to Mirimar but we chose to walk to burn off the excess calories from our second helpings at the buffet. We also took in the Saturday market which sold everything from clothing to spices.

We ventured on the local bus down to the Manzanillo malceon with it's huge sail fish statue and surrounding shops. One guy was waving a large yellow fin tuna at the bus stop seeing if any passing motorist was interested in buying it! It was worth the 45 minute bus ride.

I also tried deep sea fishing on a 1/2 day charter and thoroughly enjoyed the experience. Caught about 18 fish between the 4 of us on the 5 hour charter - several mackeral and one other species that I cannot name but the captain did keep them as he said they were very good eating - cooked or as sushi. The ride to the chartered boat from the resort took less than 5 minutes and as soon as we were out of the protected harbour we dropped our lines and caught our first fish of the day in less than 20 minutes.

The downside for Manzanillo and the surrounding resorts including Tesoro is the air quality. I saw the several chimney stacks generating plumes of continual smoke that drifted inland. These stacks I learned were from the coal fueled generating plants which work 24 hours a day year round. In speaking with some local folks they told me that the generating plants were to be converted over to natural gas but for a number of reasons they did not complete the conversion as of yet. One local gentleman told me that local crops are being affected (Can this be like the acid rains experienced in Germany several decades ago?) None were happy with the coal generated plant and the pollution that it is now causing.

I suspect that the surrounding haze that I noted upon our arrival is not just attributed to hot humid weather. Air quality is something I do not take for granted so I do hope they bring an end to using coal for the sake of the local people and their long term health. Some may say this is a small price to pay for paradise but contending with chronic respiratory problem in the latter years of life is a huge a price to pay in my eyes.

While the resort has no control over the county’s infrastructure this factor definitely plays into my decision for future vacations to this area. I will be watching/reading to see if the government finally pulls through on completing this necessary conversion. Everyone benefits including the resorts.

• Stayed: March 2012, travelled as a couple
3  Thank Ricardo_Montobahn
Reviewed 29 March 2012

The food was very very good. It was a wonderful treat to get real mexican food every day while we were there, for breakfast , lunch or supper. Great burritos & tacos. the meats and fish were very well done, not salty at all and varied in sauces daily. There was always a variety of meats and fish every day. Good variety of hot and cold vegetable. The cold fish stew is fabulous!. Deserts were plentiful and delicious. Drinks were great and not watered down so be careful! ( as I discovered the first day of drinking too much too fast). wine is decent and better that some 4-5 star places we have stayed at in mexico. Our room was very nice and of course the views were awesome from our balcony, over looking the ocean.
The sand however was very disappointing as it was very coarse with small stones scattered throughout. I knew it would not be white sand but didnt expect it to be so rough. You also had to run really really fast to get to the water and you need to wear sandals for sure if taking more than 3 large steps as it is scorching hot. I did walk the 'Santiago path' to Playa Miramar which only took 25 minutes where you could walk this beach for miles and the sand was very fine and soft. that is also where the vendors are if you want to shop which I did. You can rent an umbrella and spend the day there too. That beach is fabulous for boogie boarding or surfing. I would highly recommend checking it out.
Construction is ongoing as they are fixing up the ground level outdoor restaurant but that noise didnt bother us at all.
Its great to see lots of middle class Mexican families vacation there or come for the weekend with their families.

Room Tip: we liked our room which was 411.
  • Stayed: March 2012, travelled as a couple