“Got food poisoning from "Romantic Dinner"”

Dreams Huatulco Resort & Spa
Ranked #4 of 47 Hotels in Huatulco
GreenLeadersPlatinum level
“Got food poisoning from "Romantic Dinner"”
Reviewed 20 May 2012

My husband and I stayed at Dreams resort in Huatulco from Wednesday, April 25th through Saturday, April 28th. Overall, we enjoyed our experience. It was our first time staying at a big all-inclusive resort, which was more expensive than what we would normally pay, but since it was our honeymoon, we decided to splurge.

For the most part, we were able to relax, enjoy the pool, and eat to our hearts content. The food and drinks in the regular restaurants were good – better than we expected. However, we had a horrible experience on our last night when we did the "Romantic Dinner" on the beach that cast a shadow on our experience, causing us to feel an overall dissatisfaction with our stay, making us second guess our decision to stay at your facility, and prompting us to write this review.

On Friday, April 27th, we had a romantic dinner in the gazebo on the beach. Two of our best friends in the United States set it up for us, giving us this experience as a wedding gift. The romantic dinner is very expensive, costing almost as much as one full day stay in the resort, so we were expecting the best of the best. What we experienced was definitely not even close to what we were expecting. The servers were nice and professional and the setting was beautiful, but the food was awful – far worse than what is served in the regular restaurants. That night, I experienced a bout of food poisoning that kept me up the entire night – I vomited four times, had the sweats, and was shaking uncontrollably. It was the worst night of our trip and the first time I have ever had food poisoning.

I believe that this was caused by the lobster portion of our dinner. It did not taste like other lobster I have had, and my husband also felt sick after ingesting it. The next morning after I had recovered sufficiently, we went to talk to the Concierge manager, Fernando, about this incident. His attitude was dismissive, unprofessional, and completely unapologetic about what we had experienced. He went so far as to say that there was no way that we could have gotten food poisoning from his establishment because of the “international standards” they follow, and further called the doctor while we were sitting there to have him confirm his incorrect assertion that there is no way the dinner we had eaten had caused the food poisoning because it takes at least 24 hours for food poisoning to take effect.

When Fernando first sat down with us to talk about what happened, he immediately told us that money was not the issue, but rather, customer satisfaction was of the upmost importance. Everything he did and said after that, contradicted that statement. The only solution he offered us was for us to see his doctor (the same one who said it was impossible for us to have food poisoning later the same night) at our own expense, and if the doctor determined that we had food poisoning, he would consider giving us some of the money back. That is not customer service, and he was completely disingenuous when he said he wanted to see us satisfied. If nothing else, he could have been more sympathetic that I spent the last night of my honeymoon on the bathroom floor.

Stay away from this place - they are not interested in making your stay a special experience, and they certainly seem interested only in the money (when you first arrive, they try to convince you to buy a "great deal" of more nights in one of their hotel properties and try to make you come to one of their 90 minute presentations on the topic). This place has the feel of a cold corporate hotel, where there is no interest in people, just having as many people there as possible.

8 Thank Janaalexis
Turn Your Opinions into Points!
Turn your opinions into JPMiles
Turn your opinions into PAYBACK Points
*You can enroll in only one programme at a time to earn rewards for reviews.
JPMiles / Payback Arrow
JPMiles / PAYBACK

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (592)
Iron River, Michigan, United States
Reviewed 2 May 2012

Dreams of Huatulco is a first class resort. The entire staff goes to great lengths to treat their guests like royalty and the entire complex was spotlessly clean. The one thing that stood out from other resorts that we have frequented was that the staff genuinely appeared to be enjoying themselves as they worked. From check-in to check-out, everything went smooth as silk. If you are considering rewarding yourself with a Vacation, these hard working folks definitely deserve your consideration.

Room Tip: We could not have been more pleased with our room on ground level near the infinity pool. We could s...
5 Thank YooperDave
Vancouver, Canada
Reviewed 29 April 2012

Dreams Huatulco- March 20 to April 2, 2012-04-28 This is a long review…..
I loved the Dreams Huatulco. This was my first trip to the area and first time at Dreams.
Was it perfect- no… was it great…yes….

Traveled with a party of 23… (from points all across Canada) for a number of very special family celebrations…

Booked in August via I Travel2000 and booked a Preferred Ocean Front Jacuzzi Suite. Many of the group booked that category and others the Preferred Ocean Front Deluxe.

Sunwing – Trip out on time from Winnipeg. Very uneventful, booked ElitePlus, front of aircraft and had a bigger seat, food was inedible… and while the head flight attendant was very nice, the gal sitting in the jump seat - was clearly in a foul mood. She barked and scowled, quite frankly should not be in the business of flight attendant. Lots of turbulence on the way down. Arrived to a very nice, small airport, quickly through, find baggage, and wait on the bus for all the rest of the travellers. Windy road, under construction to the resort, about 30 minutes.

Arrival: A bit confusing. Sent us one way, then another, then to the concierge to check in. Once at the right place, it was quick, and I was disappointed that we got a third floor room. I had sent an email requesting the top floor and did get an acknowledgement that they put that in the system. (No guarantee- I get that!) Our first room for the first week was 2316. Building 2, floor 3, room 16. This is a Preferred Oceanfront, Jacuzzi suite and is marketed as 1100 sq feet. The room itself is about 650 sq. ft max. There is a cubby with the closet, safe, fridge etc. so maybe this is the added sq ft. Bathroom very nice with walk in shower, loved this shower, Hot water all the time and two showerheads. Room was ocean front. However unless you stood on the end of the balcony you could not see the ocean. Once you stood on the end of the balcony, the view was awesome! But who wants to look at a rock wall for two weeks otherwise. Another of our group was across the hall, one floor up, same room category, and had a magnificent view/panoramic of the entire ocean, beach, in all directions. We enjoyed the amenities in the room, it does have a joining door to the room behind, and the kids crying at 7 p.m. and the TV on loud at 6 am was definitely annoying. They left after a few days so it was quieter. I loved the Jacuzzi on the balcony. Dreams have an awesome bath gel that made your skin feel so soft. I used the Jacuzzi quite a bit at the end of the day and usually had a few of the group over for champagne and to watch the sunset. We usually did a late dinner. All week, we had great room cleaning and turn down. Turn down was nice as we spent right to the last minutes on the beach and then a Jacuzzi, usually going for dinner around 7h30 or 8. Coming back to a refreshed room was so nice.

As we had some family events to celebrate on the first night- we tried for dinner first night at the Japanese. The maitre d was awesome. We simply said we don’t all have to sit together, and we all were in the general area. She was very accommodating. The food and service was really quite outstanding. Dined there 3 times during the two weeks.

Beach- Awesome- Beautiful layout, nice sand, love the palapas, and the area for Preferred is where we spent most of our days. Lots of black and red flags during the two weeks. It was just so much fun playing in the waves. You had to be very careful and when black flag, the guards will not let you on the beach. One time tumbling in the undertow and you will know why. On other days, you could play in the surf for hours, sun, eat, drink, read, rest and simply enjoy the hot hot days. Our favourite beach server of drinks, hands down, Christopher. He is a great asset to Dreams, friendly, funny and always stopped by to fill our empty glasses. On the days that he was not there, the service was spotty (no big deal as we walked up to the Barracuda Beach Bar). Christopher also made sure that we were well served when we were at the pools. Our group tipped for great service.

First night, disco- everyone had a fabulous time. The resort staff made sure you had a good time, dancing, getting the music going. I cannot recollect there names, but the whole team was just terrific. I only went one night, but others went a few times during the week. I also watched the Jets play in the Disco early afternoon and they were more than happy to open the disco up, big screen TV and drinks available. Now that is service.

Second night – a family dinner at the World Café Buffet. We arranged to have about 7 tables outside all in the same general area. We had brought decorations and we decorated it up and we had one heck of a celebration. All of the staff was incredible and the food was delicious.

Preferred Lounge- I read a lot of negatives on the Preferred. I guess it all comes down to do you want a few extras! I loved the lounge, the staff always was nice. Beautiful view of the ocean front, and nice canapés, snacks and a great place to meet up before dinner. It was small but still very nice.

Wi-FI- In my room included. I used it all week. Never a problem.

Room Service- To die for Eggs Benedict with mimosas on the balcony. Always within 30 minutes and always hot and brought with a smile. I also hosted a girls brunch on my balcony and the room service was excellent- both food and service. Also did a late afternoon club house sandwich – fab. The others in the group who stayed up late used it a lot in the early hours of the morning and always loved it.

Beach Vendors- Such wonderful folks. Met some really nice people. Loved the jewellery and I can say our group bought a lot! Rule of thumb- half of their first price. Also got some wonderful hand carved items. A beautiful eagle and it was so nice to sit and talk with the vendors. Met a few of their families on the beach. On the days you did not want anything- a quick no thanks. I also got a lovely hand crocheted bag. and a henna tattoo. That was fun!

Boat excursions- We booked with Valentino (he is on the beach with the white Frisbee) I talked to him the first day and he made sure to come and talk to the group. Very nice man- lots of personality. We had a boat for 19 of us. Private, stocked with cold water, beers, vodka etc. Valentino was not available to actually take us out and we were disappointed and insisted he be at the boat to ensure we got away ok. He came on board and then exited on a smaller boat once we were at sea. The vans picked us up outside the hotel, we headed to the departure area, we had a fab boat, Ephraim (spelling not sure) was our captain and he was amazing…. Gave us a great 6 hours out on the water. His crew Thomas and oh my gosh I forget the other fellows name, but they were all wonderful. We did all the bays, many sunned on the deck, many rested in the cabin, some sat up top on the captain’s deck, some fished. The Bays of Huatulco are unbelievable. The manta rays, the fish, the dolphins….. what an experience. We headed to St. Augustine and the beachfront restaurant cooked up the fish caught. Some snorkelled off the boat and some snorkelled to the boat. Such a beautiful place. On the route back, we had mentioned to Ephraim that we had heard of the rock Iguanas. Well, he said we had already passed them and as he said it he turned the boat around and went back so we could see the formations. It was incredible. Back at the dock, the vans waiting for us to take us back to Dreams. The day, really a bit indescribable. The next morning very early, Ephraim took a few of the guys out fishing on a smaller boat, and the resort (Seaside grill- cooked up and presented platters of the tuna the guys caught)!

I liked all of the restaurants…. Ate several times at the seaside grill outdoors. The Oceana was very hot and the menu limited. Mexican night was fun. The Italian was good, but we had too big a group, so were offered to sit in Mexican with Italian menu. This was great as it was big round tables and the making of Spanish coffee was an event not to be missed.

Second week we moved to the top floor, room 2506. (Building 2, 5th floor, room 6. Wow! We had the same room category, Preferred ocean front Jacuzzi, different view. Panoramic view of the beach, ocean and all this if you were laying on the bed and from every window. The room was a slightly different lay-out and bigger than the first one. Balcony – views from all points, Jacuzzi – views everywhere. This really was wonderful. Only downside was that the turn down service did not happen. Oh well. I really need to say thanks to our concierge (I think he may even have been hotel manager) Fernando. He was one of the nicest people I have met. Always with a smile and always looking to how can he can be of assistance. And always calm. All resorts should have Fernando. Thank you Fernando for arranging to move us to the best room ever!

The spa- this is such an OMG! I used the hydrotherapy circuit several times. (This is included with Preferred- no charge) and it was the most relaxing enjoyable experience. Many in our group used it daily and always raved about it. It takes about an hour and you are walked through by one of the staff. Just a big Wow. The massages were great. Loved the spa.

Walked across the street, some nice little shops.

Also did a day trip to La Bocana Beach. Some of the group wanted to go surfing. La Bocana Beach is beautiful. The owner at the surf shop (Adam- such a nice friendly person) did not recommend surfing that day as the waves were really big. (Not sure if this was related to the earthquake two days earlier- but the waves were massive). I really appreciated he was so sincere and did not recommend it that day. Instead a few of the group did Boogie boards and had the mud bath. Very nice. He came a few times down to the beach to give advice and support to those in the water. He willingly gave his views and taught the gang a few things. Thanks Adam. He really impressed me with his knowledge, willingness to share that knowledge and talk with everyone about the beach, area etc. We sat in the outdoor restaurant for hours with a few appies and beer and really enjoyed this adventure.

Another side trip to La Entregra. Quick cab ride. When we got out of the cab, a whole group of people were cheering and clapping… We were not sure what they were doing but several came to try and walk us to the beach. A young man Pepi, was walking along and the least aggressive. Spoke very good English and offered to sit at his restaurant where he worked. We got there and he set up an umbrella for me, I had a cold drink and all our stuff was watched. He was very nice and helpful. I enjoyed this visit, beaches were very busy. I did not snorkel but several in our group said it was the BEST snorkelling they have done. They went back the next day, had a guide and enjoyed it immensely a second time. Four of them said it was the best experience.

As you can tell, I really loved this resort. We had such a great time, great service and the added bonus of having so many friends and family together. Our family and friends are really quite an incredible group. I could not have thought of a better way to spend a vacation than with this group of wonderful people. We also met some very nice fellow Canadians, and really enjoyed their company. The service, amenities and the staff (for the most part) were excellent.

Trip back… we were the last charter of the season back to Winnipeg. Plane full. Service great, (food not edible) an hour delay and home. With many great memories. Will go back to Huatulco. Wish Canada had a longer charter season and choice of charter.

Hola!

• Stayed March 2012, travelled with family
13 Thank MySunFun
GP
Reviewed 28 April 2012

We flew in from Edmonton, great flight, great service. It was a a quick transition onto the bus but be prepared for the heat when you arrive there is no air conditioning in the airport so having some lighter clothing on is a good idea.
Sunwing staff were helpful and full of information on the 25 min air conditioned bus ride to Dreams, check in was speedy and simple. Be sure to have a few pesos on hand to tip your bell hop when you arrive. We didn't go to our room right away we sat and had a drink and enjoyed the arrival and beautiful surroundings.
The hotel is very clean, the rooms spacious. We enjoyed the staff especially the entertainment crew (Raoul and Jenna) all were great. There was plenty of restaurant options, food was very good with lots of choices even in the buffet restaurant World Cafe. We especially enjoyed the lunch time striploins at Seaside Grill and the fries too! If you want Guacamole just ask for it and they will bring it to you fresh made. The drinks were plentiful and Enrique was an excellent waiter, polite, speedy, good english and we loved to tip and he was always surprised when we did...it was never expected. It was difficult to find one thing that was not good about this resort weather, food, rooms, service, cleanliness were all 5 star and we would definitely return to this resort. The fitness centre was cool and very good to get your daily workout in and running off the resort was never a problem. We rented a scooter one day from Stefan across the street from the hotel and we bombed around for a full day on it...it was a great way to get around on our own. Some great restaurants a local shops across the street we tried some of them too...all very good! Huatulco is beautiful...lots of Canadians and few americans. It was great to meet other people and find out where they were from!

Room Tip: You are rarely in your room and I don't think there is a bad one in the place. We were very hap...
5 Thank L M
Fort McMurray, Canada
Reviewed 26 April 2012

We stayed at the Dreams resort from the 17th -24th. The check in was fine. , no issues., as was check out.
We had dinner at the World cafe-main buffet that evening and was very dissapointed in the lack of variety. and in some cases quality (veggies not cooked or instant mashed potatoes -to me is not 4- 5 star quality at all.. I wasnt looking for or expecting Gourmet food, but instant potatoes was dissapointing. We have stayed at many AIl -inclusives all over Mexico and the Dominican and I can honestly say on some days in comparison the main buffet was just not very good. & we were not happy that all the resorts restaurants were not open every night as well, hence the lack of variety.
The lunches we found , were better then the dinners. the kids really liked the fries -tasted like McDonalds. My daughter loved the quesadillas. we did really enjoy bfasts everyday --lost of variety there. Fresh and made to order eggs.. Our fav rest was the Himutsu --it has great chicken spring rolls, chicken satay and as everyone says great deep friend bananas & coconut ice cream.

As for DRINKS, the mudlside is very good and my kids really liked the frisbee. The lobby bar does make the best mudslides forsure, much better than the beach bar.
Two of my 3 kids ended up with STOMACHE ISSUES before the week was over.
The ROOMS-no complaints.
The BEACH is beautiful and even on the red flag days we'd swim in certain areas (by the marina) . Sand is much more soft there and at times it was more calm than the beach in front of the hotel. Black flags most days, there was only one day out of seven that had a yellow flag.

SERVICE - they get 5 stars forsure.!! Drinks by the pool and service at all restuarants is excellent--it is by far the best service I have ever had at a resort! they work very hard and it showed.!!

WEEKEND CROWD ---For the most part this is a very relaxing quiet resort, but on the weekends its a different story. Its packed with vacationing mexicans that dont follow many of the rules of the resort (like having huge floating toys in the already jam packed main pools!) those toys are for the childrens pools only. None of their babies had swimming diapers on either. It was also annoying to hear cell phones going off during our dinner at the Himutsu restaurant as well. Very inconsiderate.The only thing I would suggest is book your excursions on the weekends because its honeslty a different place .and tough to find a place by the pool.

The only excursion we did was a fishing and snorkle tour with the highly reccomended Valentino(white frisbee guy)! He was great!! we saw whales, Manta Rays jumping, dolphins, turtles, and we also saw a blue marlin . We caught many Bonitos and ate them on the beach. A local restaurant cooked them in a clay oven . Very good. It was real beautiful spot-very friendly nice people...As we were waiting for our meal another ray jumped right out of the water right in from of us. It was a great snorkle tour as well we were impressed. Mucho gracias Valentino!
But I have to say on Valentinos behalf, ..... I hope other tourists remember to be considerate when booking a fishing trip with the locals because canceling means they loose out on a days wage, so please be considerate as I know Valentino had several people cancel last min on him(too much sun or booze excuse etc) so be thoughtful when booking.!!

ENTERTAINMENT crew were awesome--they made our kids feel really welcome. they played water polo, water games, planted a tree, and painted some clay keepsakes. They enjoyed the Greese show best, otherwise we never went to many shows.

BONUSES: no wrist bands , no towel cards, no reservations! that was very nice.

The resort's nightclub "Desires" offers theNHL playoffs for all those that are looking to catch the games (right beside the main buffet).
The resort ATM was not working for a few days-we used the one just outside the resort .

NOTE: ROOM KEY -dont loose or break the room key they will try to charge you 5 bucks to replace--which is crazy!they tried to charge me for one and I told them thats nuts -as we throw them out in canada--CASH GRAB! forsure.she never ended up charging us for it because I told her it wasnt happening. One key per room., was given I explained to her that policy was not going to work for a family of five! I asked to speak to the manager and then all of a sudden I wasnt charged.

Huatulco is now our fav part of Mexico because its so beautiful and clean , quiet , safe and not commercialized whatso ever., like Cabo.
Having talked to people that stayed at the Barcelo --we were overall glad we choose Dreams. We will return to Huatulco, but probably rent a condo or try Secrets without our kids (they have a whole beach to themselves).
Overall is was a very nice holiday!

• Stayed April 2012, travelled with family