“Mostly Good but Not Perfect” 4 of 5 bubbles
Review of The Grand Mayan Acapulco

The Grand Mayan Acapulco
Ranked #2 of 179 Hotels in Acapulco
Phoenix, Arizona
“Mostly Good but Not Perfect”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 April 2012

First the facts: We stayed here April 8-15, which is spring break in Mexico. Resort was full. This is a very family friendly hotel with waterpark for kids. It is located right on the beach and is part of a complex of other resorts and what I believe are private condos. There are two other Mayan resorts on the premises with a free shuttle connecting them. The Mayan Palace has a newer, slightly better pool area but I prefer the Grand as a whole.. Sea Garden is not worth seeing.

The resort is located in the southern region of Acapulco which is know as "diamond." It is a 10 minute ride to the airport. Further north is the "gold" region which includes the famous Acapulco Bay. The diamond region is far quieter and much less touristy than the somewhat congested gold region.

My first recommendation would be to call ahead and reserve an ocean-view room if possible. We got stuck with a room facing away from the beach and the view left a little to be desired. We requested numerous times with the front desk to be switched to an ocean view room but we were denied each and every day for a week, being told that the hotel was full and there were no departures. I find that hard to believe. No departures for a week? We had a 1 bedroom suite, which was huge with almost full kitchen (only thing missing was oven), bathroom with 3 sinks, flat screen t.v.'s, etc. There was even a large tub in the bedroom. Appointments were not lavish but instead more comtemporary comfortable. Curiously, there was a small, unheated pool on the balcony that was about the size of a jacuzzi. I have no idea as to the purpose of this pool as no adult would enjoy it. Perhaps installed for kids. I don't know.

The hotel itself is quite beautiful. Clean and well maintained. For a bargain price paid for through Groupon, I was prepared for much worse but was actually quite delighted. Nice, large pools with lazy river, lake with complimentary kayaks, and beautiful ocean view. Just about every staff member, except for housekeeping, speaks passable English.

The not so good: For a family friendly resort, curiously there is no kids menu available through room service so be prepared to shell out $10-$20 for your kid's meals. Room service prices are reasonable. The pool complex closes at 8pm, which I believe is way too early. Often, they shut down the water for the kids slides at 6pm??? No bueno. Also, watch out for the cabbies. Independent cabs are not allowed on the premises unless specifically requested by a guest. Only Mayan approved cabs are allowed to pick up guests without a prior reservation. There is a set list of prices to specific destinations that is mandated by the Mayan, such as Walmart $60p, Cici Waterpark $180p, etc. But their cabbies often ignore the set prices if they suspect you don't know about them. My first day, my cabbie tried to charge me $100p for a ride to Walmart, and my 2nd trip to Walmart a different cabbie tried to charge $120p.

Also, these cabbies will try to sell you "personal" tours. I tried it out for $65us. Basically, they drive you around to a few touristy sites such as the diving show (quite boring), crocodile park (smelly, dirty, disappointing), and the cross on top of the mountain. I'm fairly certain that they get a cut out of what you spend for activities and dining. Mine was always directing us towards boat tours, restaurants and things like that and always walking with me to the counter, making sure he got credit for us. He also would steer us towards shops that were owned by his family and friends. I would not recommend these taxi tours.

Restaurants: We had the breakfast buffet at the cafe, which was quite pricey at about $240p. It was good, but not worth the price. We also had the Saturday evening buffet at the restaurant next to The Bar. Not good. Everything was bland and tasted like water. Room service was okay, about as expected, as was the poolside foodservice.

Lastly, we were offered 10% off all room charges and discounts for activities if I took part in a 45 minute (actual 2 hours) sales presentation. I said ok, since I thought I would be saving at least $100+ by going to a 45 minute presentation. It is a one-on-one presentation. They keep saying that it is NOT a timeshare. After I denied repeated attempts to convince me to purchase, they sent the supervisor over, who was EXTREMELY rude to me. Then I was sent to a different office who offered me a different sales presentation. The second office informed me that the first presentation was for a timeshare and that I was wise not to purchase. ??? So they have sales staff that contradict each other???

Overall, I would recommend this hotel, especially if you have kids. We moved over to Las Brisas for our last night in ACA and liked it better, although not great for kids.

Room Tip: request an ocean view room in advance.
  • Stayed April 2012, travelled with family
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
2 Thank hair3point14
Turn Your Opinions into Points!
Turn your opinions into JPMiles
Turn your opinions into PAYBACK Points
*You can enroll in only one programme at a time to earn rewards for reviews.
JPMiles / Payback Arrow
JPMiles / PAYBACK

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (310)
ga
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 April 2012

This is a beautiful resort, and our guide Roberto Alercon was wonderful. So gracious, and knowledgeable, and just made our trip extra special. He even arranged to replace a defective ring for me, that I bought in the market! We highly recommend him.

Room Tip: Dont get a room over Club Mondo. You wont get any sleep.
  • Stayed April 2012, travelled as a couple
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
Wallingford
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 April 2012

Grand Mayan is a fabulous place to go with family. We had an ocean view suite with direct ocean view. Weather was PERFECT all 7 days! The rooms included a kitchen, dining area, living room, 2 bedrooms and 2 full baths. Each bedroom led to a walk out balcany as well as the living room. A plunge pool was on the balcony which my kids loved. Rooms were very clean and spacious. Several pools are on the property and there is one especially for children with multiple slides and spraying fountains. It is not deep so I was very comfortable having my 4 year old play without following her every move. That particular pool also has a lazy river that surrounds it. Lots to do on the beach. We rented quads, kids had their hair braided, ocean side massages,horse rides and lots of vendors selling Mexican cha chas. Vendors could get a bit annoying. Ocean in front of hotel was kept clean but walking along the beach I was a bit disappointed to see garbage in front of other properties. We had a tour guide that we found on trip advisor prior to our trip. He came highly recommended and it was obvious why. Roberto picked us up at the airport with a smile and a shot of tequilla. :) He walked with us throught the grocery store helping us to find items and read the labels (our spanish is very limited)He is very proud of his home and we spent a full day of our vacation touring Alcapulco with him. Additionally, he picked us up several times to take us out to dinner and shopping for silver. He knew the perfect places to dine. Su Casa is a MUST! Don't bother renting a car or calling a cab. You will love Roberto. His contact is robertoalrey@yahoo.com.mx. If you play tennis, the courts and tennis instruction was awesome. I don't play golf but I heard the course there was very good too. Again, if you have younger kids, this is a FABULOUS place to stay. Good luck getting them to leave the kids pool area. One of the best pools I have ever seen at a resort.

• Stayed April 2012, travelled with family
1 Thank Lauren B
pr
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 April 2012

great hotel, beautiful pool, the sun so, so warmmmmmmmmmmmmm, love it, relaxing, i realy forgot were a was, a week its not enove, but we had fun & a great sun tan, our driver Juan took us to playa coyuca, OMG, we had the best fish ever, right in the beach, great..............., we did so much & so little time, thanks to d driver, he know what to do & were to take us, his a good driver, u can ask for him at the lobby or e-mail. Juan Alegria, alegria_781225@ hotmail.com. thanks Juan see u next time

• Stayed February 2012, travelled as a couple
Phoenix, Arizona
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 April 2012

The Grand Mayan Acapulco was a beautiful paradise as are all the Grand Mayan resorts where we have stayed. Ricardo Alvarez met us at the airport & we liked him instantly. We asked him to show us the sights of the city. He was very knowledgable,kind & friendly ......plus really knew how to drive in the "crazy" traffic of Acapulco. The Coco Loco restaurant was our lunch stop---WOWOW!! What a beautiful location on the bay, with food & service to match. It was off the beaten path and not crowded. We never would have found it without Ricardo. Another day he took us to the cliff divers then to Kookaburra Restaurant for a fabulous dinner. The night lights on the bay were magical. Contact Ricardo Alvarez Avila, the "BEST OF THE BEST", for your driving needs in Acapulco. Email: alvarez1178@hotmail.com

• Stayed March 2012, travelled with family