“Not as described on Website!”
Review of Hotel California

Hotel California
Ranked #2 of 8 Hotels in Todos Santos
Reviewed 14 March 2012

I booked this hotel after reviewing it on Tripadvisor, checking the hotel website and then calling the hotel.
I was looking to book a suite with two bedrooms as we were travelling with my parents and our young child. The hotel appeared to have what they described as a large 2 bedroom suite on their website but, to be sure, I called to check that there were 2 separate bedrooms, and was assured that this was the case, but the person I spoke to added that there was no door in between the rooms. When we arrived at our room I was surprised to see our room was essentially a double bedroom, the beds being about 3 metres apart, and not at all "large" as advertised (see photo below). When I went down to reception to express this surprise I was told that another room was available but we would be charged full price of a further $110 on top of the $170 for the "suite".
There was no common area in the room we booked which, for me, is a requirement if you are going to call hotel accommodation "a suite". There was a small shared bathroom and only one closet which was also small. In all we felt conned by the description and the staff reaction was insult to injury.
Just for the record: this place has no connection to the Eagles classic but it does seem to play on this in order to justify overpricing its' rather ordinary rooms. Todos Santos is well worth the visit, but you should stay elsewhere as this is basically a tourist trap.

Room Tip: Don't go for the 2 bedroom option unless you want to listen to your Dad snore like a walrus all...
  • Stayed: February 2012, travelled with family
4  Thank michaelmurphy1971
bmass, Manager at Hotel California, responded to this reviewResponded 24 March 2012

Hotel California would like to apologize for the misunderstanding with the room’s description. We are working on changing our website so that our guests don’t feel misled. Hotel California has been in Todos Santos, Mexico since 1950 and has become a legend and a tradition in town.

Turn Your Opinions into Points!
Turn your opinions into JPMiles
Turn your opinions into PAYBACK Points
*You can enroll in only one programme at a time to earn rewards for reviews.
There are newer reviews for Hotel California

Reviewed 21 February 2012

We took a taxi from La Paz and had lunch here. It was one of our best meals. I had the salad special, spinach with pesto chicken. My husband had a burger and he said it tasted normal and he really liked it. We got mango salsa instead of the traditional and it was great. The prices are a little higher here but the food is really good. The courtyard was beautiful.

• Stayed: February 2012, travelled as a couple
1  Thank shelleyjr
Reviewed 20 February 2012

Skipping all the 'Eagles' references...
We've visited Todos before, and had lunch at California several times. Food is really good. Decided this time to stay over night.
'Standard' room was just average - but it was fun to stay over night rather than drive back to Cabo. The inner courtyard was really nice. I would recommend the stay.

Stayed: February 2012, travelled with friends
Reviewed 31 January 2012

But didnt stay in the hotel. But I can say the lunch we had was worth the drive from Cabo. It was outstanding and worth the trip. What a great place!

• Stayed: January 2012, travelled with family
Reviewed 23 January 2012

Just returned from 5 days at the Hotel California.If you are looking for a modern, trendy or cookie-cutter hotel, this is not the place for you. If you want a true Mexican feel, with the nicest staff I have ever encountered. The restoration work has maintained the original charm and the decor adds a modern, quirky twist with treasures around every corner. The rooms were a bit dark, but immaculate and spacious. My room overlooked the main street, so was a bit noisy, but I had no problem sleeping. Everything was quiet after midnight. Private patios are delightful, and the candlelit atmosphere every night is magical. There are plenty of places to find both sun and shade , and places to relax and just read, look at the view, or sun by the pool.

Don't expect hair dryers and tv's in the room, but the WiFi worked very well while I was there to keep in touch. I didn't miss having a tv, since the Todos Santos Music Festival was in full swing, and there was great entertainment every night.

La Coronela bar and restaurant have great Margaritas, delicious, easy food, and FABULOUS service! Don't expect to be rushed through your meal...take the time to relax with a drink, and when your meal arrives, enjoy! The crab cakes were light and full of flavour, and the enchiladas with green salsa were to die for. The servers and bartenders were fun, friendly and made sure you were well looked after (Jorge even brought my drink to me, on the dance floor, so I wasn't without it)! Be sure to have dinner in the main restaurant, where fine cuisine is the order of the day. Chef Danny himself, will talk to you about the menu, and suggest wines. The flank steak was so tender and beautifully flavoured, and the yellowtail was fresh, with a delicious sauce of your choice. Finish with a Belgian chocolate made on site ( white chocolate and tequila inside, dark chocolate and walnuts outside). Fabulous!

Debbie( the owner), Juanita and Pedro at the front desk will help with any of your needs. Juanita made sure when ever I left to go to the beach or anywhere, that I had the hotel business card so I could call if I needed anything. If you go to Todos Santos, don't miss this place. You will be enchanted.

• Stayed: January 2012, travelled solo