All reviews mar y aventuras third floor communal kitchen kayaking trip rooftop terrace sea kayaking top floor within blocks magdalena bay beds were very comfortable drinking water walking distance to the malecon common areas the hotel offers small hotel great place to stay large room
Reviewed 4 May 2018

All in all, I liked staying here and thought it was a nice room for a decent price. Part of what comes with that decent price is that services you may assume to be commonplace at other hotels might not exist here.
Things like
a) an elevator
b) someone to help you with your bags
c) an ice machine.

- they are also not great at responding to their emails

I arrived around dinner time, having been up for about 36 hours, and checked in and found out in that moment that there was no elevator or staff available to help with my bag - to my room on the 3rd floor. The woman who checked me in certainly wasn't able to help me. And I have arthriitis so 3 flights of stair - even without luggade - are difficult.
I ended up having to leave my dive gear bag in the office because I wouldn't be able to lug it up the stairs.

The room was nice - on the 3rd floor. It looked out on a shop where they repair boats - which was fine (though not exactly pastoral), I imagine there may be rooms on the other side of the building that look out on to the water but mine looked out on the boat repair shop and the OXXO (Mexican 7-11).

There are no fridges in the rooms but there is a communal fridge in the shared kitchen area and that seemed to work for people.

The house-keeping staff were excellent and did a fantastic job - every day.

I had a leak from my sink that seemed to gush out on to my floor. I reported it on a weekend, I was told there were no plumbers until Monday but I was there for another 5 days and no one ever came to fix it.

The worst thing that happened was when I handed my credit card to the woman to pay my balance - when I had just arrived ( which is not something I am used to) she somehow ignored the message that prompted me to put in my PIN. Each time she was prompted to put in the PIN, instead she put in the total amount owing. Over and over and over she did it, until she triggered a security alert with my credit card company and my card was locked. But I only found that out after calling my credit card company. Instead of saying she had screwed up and apologizing, she gave me the stink-eye and acted like there was something sketchy about me and my credit card.
Wiping out access to my credit card caused me a HUGE amount of hassle and inconvenience. The card that was now locked out was the one I had specifically planned on using for this trip and I was forced to patch things together using cards that I hadn't planned on using. I like to use the cards that give me air miles for purchases that area few hundred dollars. Apparently, not on this trip.
That really really sucked.

Oh - and there is a/c in the rooms but it doesn't go below 22 degrees C - which is about 70 degrees F.

BUT...
the building was quiet. The other guests were all nice enough. The pool was a nice place to cool off in the afternoon. Breakfast is free and they have delicious orange juice which tasted like fresh squeezed.

There were moments when I was disappointed or frustrated - the credit card issue being the biggest - but in general, I thought it was a good place to stay and I would go back - but with a more accurate set of expectations - and more than one credit card on hand.

One thing that would be fantastic is if they could arrange pick up at the airport. My cab driver had no idea where the hotel was and stopped and asked people on the street - they didn't know either - we drove around the city for about 15 minutes until someone pointed us in the right direction. Charge people to be picked up - but it really really sucks when you have been awake for 36 hours and it's hot and muggy and all you want to do is shower and sleep - and no one can find the hotel.

Room Tip: Mine was nice - 3rd floor. Others that I saw looked fine.
  • Stayed: April 2018, travelled solo
Outfitter, Owner at Posada LunaSol Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 6 May 2018

Dear Guest,
We appreciate this detailed account of your experience staying at our hotel in La Paz. It's good for others to know what NOT to expect at our hotel since we never want to represent our accommodations in La Paz for anything but exactly what they are.
While elevators in small hotels with only 3 stories and ice machines might be common in the other countries they are not necessarily in common in Mexico. For those who are unable or don't like climbing stairs we do have 3 rooms on the ground level. Meanwhile we do have a young gentleman that normally works evenings to help folks with their luggage so I apologize he was not on duty when you arrived.
Regarding our receptionists snafu with your credit card we sincerely apologize for that inconvenience. As well I'm glad you brought the fact no one attended to your leaky sink during your stay. We obviously need to address this lack of attention to a client's request.
The idea of including transportation from the airport to our hotel for a fee is a good one. This is the first time in many years I've ever heard that a taxi driver did NOT know where our hotel was! While this was common when we first opened 17 years ago this has not been in issue in the recent years. Probably 95% of our clients arrive from Cabo on the EcoBaja shuttle and are dropped off at our hotel or take a local taxi from the bus station who all seem to know where we are located. We will most certainly will look into how to include transportation from the airport to our hotel for a fee especially for late arrivals into the La Paz airport.
Our AC units most certainly can cool a room below 22C (I know from personal experience) so I believe yours must have been defective. They are all being serviced at this time as we go into our summer season so hopefully they will fix that particular unit.
We are constantly working on improving our rooms and service so your feedback is appreciated. I'm glad you would choose to stay with us again if visiting La Paz. We aim to provide you with an improved, top notch experience upon your next stay!

Reviewed 21 April 2018

Stayed here with 20 friends after kayaking and camping for 10 days. Lots of room to spread out and clean up. Comfortable beds and ample hot water. Staff very friendly and helpful. 1 block to docks for trips to Isla Espiritu Santo, arranged by hotel.

3 places to hang with family or friends: common kitchen, lovely deck on top floor with view over town and ocean, and courtyard around lovely pool. Very amenable to our needs.

Room Tip: ask for a room with a window in the back as well as the front
  • Stayed: April 2018, travelled with friends
Outfitter, Owner at Posada LunaSol Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 22 April 2018

Dear Guest,
It's nice to read how much your group of friends enjoyed staying with us in La Paz after your kayaking trip. We are glad you enjoyed our comfy beds, open air gathering areas and ample hot water. This is exactly what we had in mind in creating our hotel, an amiable place for friends to gather before or after recreating in the Sea of Cortez!
Thanks for staying with us and for taking the time to share your comments here in TA.

Reviewed 20 April 2018

A group of us stayed here before and after a sea kayaking outing on Isla Espiritu Santo. It was a great place in its own right, and had the added flair and excitement of an outfitter's headquarters.

We had several rooms on the second floor overlooking the courtyard/departure area, and they were quite pleasant. I enjoyed the firm beds and breeze. I've gotta say, I like waking up predawn to unusual bird song, roosters, and barking dogs. This ain't Kansas, Toto, and that's why we're here.

Breakfasts were excellent, and quite ample. I would have to admit that I cycled through the offerings several times. Coffee, sadly, was a bit weak for my liking, particularly after enjoying the powerful brew on our kayaking expedition, but that's a minor issue,

We stored beer in the fridge and hung out on the shaded, breezy, mercifully cool roof top on a blazing afternoon - a great refuge from the sun-blasted waterfront - worth seeing, but also worth escaping.

The staff was friendly and extremely helpful. This place is worth visiting, and I would happily go back.

• Stayed: April 2018, travelled with friends
Outfitter, Owner at Posada LunaSol Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 21 April 2018

Dear Guest,
We appreciate your detailed review of your stay at our hotel before and after your kayaking trip with us. Your descriptions depict our accommodations very well especially our friendly and helpful staff. We are so happy to hear you enjoyed cold beers on our breezy roof top palapa patio on a hot afternoon! This is exactly what we had in mind when creating this space!
Thanks again for choosing to travel with us in Baja and for posting this review on TA.

Reviewed 9 April 2018

Wonderful hotel; large rooms, very clean and comfortable. Excellent breakfast with lots of coffee. Staff went beyond their duty to help in securing tour reservations, making sure everything was secure and comfortable for the guests. located close to good restaurants and the Malecon

• Stayed: March 2018, travelled as a couple
Outfitter, Owner at Posada LunaSol Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 10 April 2018

Dear Guest,
What a lovely review highlighting the fine qualities of our hotel including our large, clean rooms, great location close to restaurants, excellent breakfast and helpful staff.
We can't thank you enough for choosing to stay with us and for taking the time to post this review on TA.
Happy Travels,

Reviewed 24 March 2018

We just go home from our 3rd stay at Posada LunaSol & for our family it has become our home base in Baja. Great breakfast, friendly & caring staff & pool for the kids! Beds are comfortable with mellow central location.

• Stayed: March 2018, travelled with family