All reviewspaddle boardsrooftop deckhot tuboutdoor kitchenthe main housewhale sharkshome away from homeher parentscasual atmospherea short bike ridegreat cookrelaxing daysfantastic stayfamily stylehighly recommend a stayhelping us planlarge table
Reviewed 8 June 2016 via mobile

I stayed here with a friend for three nights, to scuba dive and chase down the best ceviche and cervesa I could find. Leanne was wonderful, and the casa felt like home from the moment I arrived. Next time I'm in la Paz, I'll be back. Thank you, Leanne!

Stayed: June 2016, travelled with friends
1  Thank David D
CasaKootenay, Owner at Casa Kootenay Waterfront Bed and Breakfast, responded to this reviewResponded 9 June 2016

Thank you so much for your review. I know it takes time and appreciate you doing so. You guys were a breath of fresh air. It was great seeing Jason and getting to know you. I have been looking through your books on amazon and hope to repay the review favor soon. I hope you enjoyed the rest of your stay in BCS and see you again soon.

Reviewed 27 May 2016

We stayed at Casa Kootenay for 3 days in Feb 2016. If you’re looking just to chill out, just go for the Bed & Breakfast experience. Very comfortable…fabulous breakfasts, located on beach for good walking, few minutes drive into city-centre, Leanne is a great host, pool/hot tube, viewing deck for margarita at sunset…or spend day there in the sun! Our room was on main floor and very comfortable, but assume the upstairs rooms have views. It’s like a small four-plex just behind the main building where Leanne lives. Small outdoor kitchen and BBQ for guest use. She locks up her main area when she’s away, which isn’t very often. Otherwise you can hang out wherever you like and always have access to viewing deck.

This is the place for snorkelling with whale sharks, right it town. Highly recommend it (bucket list item!) and Leanne will recommend a good guide company. It’s an interesting town centre to stroll along and a few good restaurants but overall it seemed like more of a service town (large..Walmart, etc.) but good access point for kayaking expeditions if that’s your thing. It was too windy for us to do this so check weather trends.

We drove to LA PAZ (East coast in Sea of Cortez) for snorkelling with Whale Sharks. The direct hwy route is probably quickest using toll road from San Jose de Cabo Intl airport going to west coast, up past Tordos Santos and across to La Paz on freeway. (1 1/2 - 2 hrs no traffic). Slower more scenic road from airport goes north and east, winding through hills…2 1/2 - 3 hrs leisurely drive).

Westjet had a deal travelling from Calgary, AB, although we used points for same flight … under $500... less than 4. 1/2 hrs.

International Airport is located at San Jose Del Cabo (not the more touristy overdeveloped area of Cabo San Lucas). Fellow travellers said they enjoyed walking the Harbour area at San Jose and some decent hotels and restaurants in centre of town, if you need to stay near airport. There are also chain hotels right at airport if needed, all looked new. Recommend you shop in San Jose Del Cabo for groceries and liquor unless you’re heading to a bigger centre.

Be warned…the airport is crowded with people trying to push time shares and trips. They dont hassle you but just ignore them all, and walk through what looks like a hotel lobby right out the building. If you’re renting a car, they’ll likely be outside with a sign waiting for you, although there are some company kiosks inside that are well marked. (Our car rental company even tried to pitch a time share when giving us maps).

Car rental - we used Cactus Car Rental but all the major rental chains are there and they have efficient quick access to their offices 5 mins from airport, and new vehicles. We had a midsize car at USD$700 for two weeks, but the small size was about $500.

Room Tip: top floor rooms have views but all are nice
  • Stayed: February 2016, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Janice E
CasaKootenay, Owner at Casa Kootenay Waterfront Bed and Breakfast, responded to this reviewResponded 30 May 2016

Hey , That was a great review. Thank you so much for your kind words and details, I know people will love all the information. I hope you get to come back soon, Remember return guests get a great discount cause you all turn into my family. The breakfast area is open from 730-12 and then whenever i am home. I enjoy being around to visit and offer help anyway i can. I do enjoy getting out to enjoy La Paz as well. When you live in a place as beautiful as La Paz, you definately want to go play.
Thanks again
Cheers
Leeanne

Reviewed 5 May 2016

Twice I stayed at the B&B Casa Kootenay. It’s always been a great experience. Everything about the “Casa” is fantastic, especially Leeanne who’s such a warm and welcoming hostess. This has to be the best B&B in La Paz. I couldn’t hope better!

Stayed: April 2016, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Mathieu B
Reviewed 5 May 2016

My husband and I spent a week in April, 2016, at Casa Kootenay and it was the highlight of our time in La Paz. The location was perfect, right on the beach. The facilities including our room were all we could have wanted. The food was great and maybe best of all, the hostess, Leeann, was a tremendous help in advising us on where to go and what to do. Her fluency in Spanish and her knowledge of the area was invaluable in arranging trips and experiences that we otherwise might have not enjoyed. It was a special trip and we'd go back again. We do not have children but I think it would be a great place for kids with the beach just outside, a pool and equipment to play with.

• Stayed: April 2016, travelled as a couple
CasaKootenay, Owner at Casa Kootenay Waterfront Bed and Breakfast, responded to this reviewResponded 6 May 2016

Thank you so much for your post. I really enjoy sharing information about La Paz and connecting people with places that match their vibe. I am glad to hear it worked out for us. See you again soon.

Reviewed 3 May 2016

Really excellent, very comfortable place. On a small stretch of private beach, outside the city center. The hostess is kind, friendly and helpful. A fine breakfast every day. There is a pool and a jacuzzi as well as kayaks, bikes and paddle boards. Super comfortable bedrooms. I give this place a strong recommendation.

• Stayed: April 2016, travelled with family
1  Thank RML1
CasaKootenay, Owner at Casa Kootenay Waterfront Bed and Breakfast, responded to this reviewResponded 4 May 2016

Thank you very much for taking the time to write and review and the kind words you shared. I hope to see you again soon and share more of La Paz wonders. Maybe, we can get you on a kayak next time. :)