All reviews great location continental breakfast tepid water basic hotel parking is limited ironing board clean rooms bath towels hand towels hotel lobby small fridge the ground floor stayed nights king bed cable tv watch the sunset visiting la paz
Reviewed 12 December 2017

Great old hotel on the LaPaz malecon. Gracious and spacious public and private rooms alike. Comfy beds, big shower, extensive TV selection, and excellent wifi. We love this place and have stayed several times in the last 5 years.

Room Tip: We have no complaints of any of our rooms.
  • Stayed: December 2017, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Barb S
Reviewed 29 September 2017

I've stayed in hundreds of hotels in Mexico over the past 30 years. Some try very hard but with resources lacking many of them just don't hit the mark,. Hotels Perla hits it out of the park, they don't just try, they succeed. A comfortable room at a great rate, clean right down to every detail with nothing lacking. Greeted by a friendly staff who make you feel at home, they even visit you in the morning to collect any of your personal laundry you'd like cleaned. I give this place top marks and I will return again.

Room Tip: Rooms off street are probably quieter that those with a view of the Malicon.
  • Stayed: September 2017, travelled on business
1  Thank DavidW12445
Reviewed 10 September 2017

My husband and I just returned from a week fishing with Jonathan Roldan's Tailhunter fleet. We decided to stay in downtown La Paz rather than at a different hotel up the beach. Hotel Perla is a very nice older hotel. It was very clean, the beds were comfortable, the rooms were more spacious than what we had previously at the "other" hotel. The pool was small, but very clean and well maintained. We had occasion to call for help with the room safe (the previous occupant closed the door so we couldn't reset the code). The response was within 5 minutes. Our wake-up calls were given at the times requested and the front desk staff was very pleasant.

This is a family friendly hotel (no pets however) and situated in the heart of La Paz with the Malecon right in front of the hotel. They do have a restaurant, La Terraza, right next door. The food was good; service was adequate but nothing to write home about. The pricing was a bit high for breakfast as far as we were concerned. We choose to eat at a local spot and had great food, service and pricing.

OK now for the "cons": the hotel has a website and I took to heart what they said they had. Silly me! They indicated that they had "bath towels, hand towels and facecloths" - we only had 2 bath towels and nothing else. Nothing else was even available. So your "bath" towel is your "everything" towel. Coffee makers were also supposed to be in each room - NOT! Perhaps the upgraded rooms had them, but mine did not. The coffee maker wasn't a deal breaker for me, but for some it could be. The towels (or lack thereof) pissed me off.

Special tip: take a shower at night - you're more likely to have hot water vs. tepid water. When the body is hot, the tepid water feels like cold water!

All in all, we really did like the hotel and we will go back, but with a bit more knowledge. I think I'll bring a couple of hand and face towels with me next time.

Room Tip: We had a courtyard facing room vs a street facing room. Much quieter.
  • Stayed: September 2017, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 7 September 2017

I was assisted with business needs and they made sure i had a nice room with a great working air conditioner. They also guided me on restaurants to wine and dine in the city. I was also assisted with my trip to the airport in the predawn hours.

• Stayed: August 2017, travelled with family
Reviewed 13 August 2017

We stayed 5 nights at the Hotel Perla. We were a group of 8 adults, so we were in 4 different rooms. Room 130 was the largest (with 2 double beds), but didn’t have very hot water in the shower. We were in room 150, which had a king bed, with it’s own balcony facing the street and was right across from the pool. It was not near the nightclub, which was very noisy Saturday night until 4 AM. This nightclub was closed all the other nights we were there. (I don’t know if it was open on Friday night also). As a hotel guest, you don’t have to pay the 50 peso cover charge at the nightclub.

Our room had a digital safe, a TV, a small fridge, a balcony, A/C, a hair dryer, an ironing board (and iron?), and free WiFi. There are not many electrical outlets. Be ready when setting your combination for the safe, as you have to use 3 numbers and the letter A or B, and you have to do it fast, before the light goes off.

The staff were friendly, and dealt with our limited Spanish with good grace.
You have to ask for a voucher for the continental breakfast next door. The orange juice there was fresh and very good. And you can order additional menu items if you desire.

There are stairs to the hotel lobby from the street, but there is an elevator back in the parking area if you need it. It is valet parking, and they were always moving cars around to get the appropriate car out. We had a van and a handicap parking permit, so we parked on the street in a handicap space. But you can only park there continuously for 48 hours (we found) before they would give you a ticket (after giving you a warning).

The pool was well used, especially by the kids. And the upstairs open air lounge area was nice for watching sunsets, as was the lobby level seating area. The two hot tubs felt lukewarm when I felt them, but we didn’t try to use them.

There are two banks with ATM’s directly behind the hotel. And we saw a VW convention about a block away on Sunday. There are lots of restaurants and bars within walking distance.

The real beauty of this hotel is watching all the people come out onto the malecon from sunset until later in the night. It’s always a parade out there during those hours. We especially liked it because it was the heart of the Mexican vacation season, and we appeared to be the only Americans in town.

We would gladly stay here again.

Stayed: July 2017, travelled with friends